Returning To Ship

cairo1@gmail.com

We usually do ports on our own and aim to be back anywhere from 1/2 to 1 hr. prior to departure .... it depends on how far we've travelled from the port - e.g. for our day in Rome, we planned our arrival back at the Civitavecchia train station 1 hr. ahead of the ship's departure, but if we're not venturing too far from the port, then we'll time it for 1/2 hr. ahead.

Hi,:) I agree with the previous poster. If you are on a

Ship sponsored excursion they should have you back in time.

There is always a sign at the gangway stating when pax have

to be back on the ship.

And they usually announce the time as well. (One of the

few items they do announce).

We sailed the Century in December and for Key West, all pax had to be back on board at 4:45pm for a 5pm sailing. I thought this was cutting it close. We were top side to watch the ship leave port and people were still showing up at 4:55pm. Not running either because they were late. Just sauntering up as if there was no problem

In Grand Cayman, our departure was also 5pm but because you are tendered and not docked, the last tender left at 4:15pm.

If you're docked, a half hour is a good rule of thumb. If you're tendering, you might want to allow more time, since you'll probably have to wait in line with all the other folks who like to milk every possible minute out of their time in port. Personally, I allow a minimum of a full hour and sometimes more in a tender port. I give up a little time in port, but to me it's worth it to (sometimes) not have to wait in such a long line.

Hi,

As you can see from the responses, times to return to the ship will vary widely.

Each port of call is different in terms of how easy it is to leave or return to the vessel. At times there is a dock with direct access into town. At other times the ship will be at a more 'complicated' port facility and a more involved process for coming back aboard is in place.

Noting that you are a new poster on these boards, bear in mind that if you do a shore excursion booked through the cruise line the ship will be held for you. If you go ashore independently it is encumbent upon you to allow sufficient time to return to the ship and be aboard before it sails.

As to the posting of each port's return time: signs are clearly posted at the gangway; an announcement will be made by the Cruise Director when the ship arrives in port and is cleared for passengers coming ashore; and a listing is in the daily program given to you in your stateroom and always available at the Guest Relations desk.

Don't stress over return times, you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Have a GREAT cruise!

CM

Archived