Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

anyone know what are shows they have on the conquest if you remember what days and if they were any good.

Just got off the Conquest on the 15th. Shows were OK, as far as we were concerned - not great, but pretty good. First night was the "Welcome Aboard Show". Comedian was next, with an adults-only show later in the evening. I think next was the juggler/ventriloquist combination show, or maybe it was the Motown singer. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head - I can go back and see if we saved copies of the capers to tell you the exact order.

Relative to other cruises we've been on, I would say that these shows were pretty average - not great, but OK.

Mark Price, the Cruise Director, hosted many of the shows and he was pretty funny. Hope that helps.

My family and I are sailing May 20th, on Conquest... haven't made hotel resv. yet.

Are there any towns between Houston and Galveston that would have hotels, some seem kind of high there in Galveston...

any ideas???

thanks

michelle

I booked the Howard Johnson's Express in Galveston for $89.99 for a Kingle Single for May 12. They offer free cruise parking so I figured that this was a good low cost option. I've never stayed there but most of the hotel reviews that I read indicated that this is a decent, relatively new, place to stay.

I don't have a picture of either room but I did look at the Carnival site. I'm curious, what category of room did you book? It looks like you got a partially obstructed ocean view. IF CARNVAL'S DECK PLAN IS ACCURATE, cabin 7305 is odd shaped but bigger than other rooms.

We will be sailing out on May 20th as too. We are booked in stateroom 6283, My sister and her husband are in 6309 and daughter and her husband are in 1440. WE are very excited. This is our first time on the conquest.

C. Camp

This will be our first cruise. We are excited and plan on having a great time... let me know if you will be on there with us

mp

We will be sailing on May 20 too. We are very excited. We have rooms 6283 6309 and 1440....Counting the days. This is our first time on the conquest.

Would love any info......and capers...cccamp@suddenlink.net

c. camp, lpn

I don't have a picture of either room but I did look at the Carnival site. I'm curious, what category of room did you book? It looks like you got a partially obstructed ocean view. IF CARNVAL'S DECK PLAN IS ACCURATE, cabin 7305 is odd shaped but bigger than other rooms.

I guess thats becouse we needed a handicap room for a wheel chair. i was just surprised that I could click on all the other rooms and see them but not the end cabins.

I think the 2 most important people you'll encounter on a cruise are your Waiter and Cabin Steward. If both of those people are efficient, capable and hard-working employees, your enjoyment of your cruise is much more likely. However, if there job performance is less than efficient (perhaps they're new or untrained, simply overworked) you'll sway your opinion the other way. It's unfortunate they can't all be 100% outstanding. It is the luck of the draw.

This is SO true, and I agree very much with this statement. This has been our experience exactly. We have not cruised on the Conquest yet, but have her booked for 2008. We have most recently cruised on HAL and RCI, both numerous times.

We haven't cruised Carnival since 2003 and are looking forward the change. We have sailed the Rhapsody twice now, the latest being last year, and it was our least favorite trip. The bed was so uncomfortable that my dh slept on the couch all week. Their mattresses, linens, etc. are tired and worn. We had a wonderful corner aft wraparound balcony BUT there was constant soot on the balcony, and even though the room steward was aware, it was up to us to clean. I think this was the FIRST time we did not tip OVER the standard amount. We left the tipping in place, of course, but no extra was left. The service in the dining room was underwhelming also. We have been on other RCI ships, but this is the latest sailing.

Marie

This is SO true, and I agree very much with this statement. This has been our experience exactly. We have not cruised on the Conquest yet, but have her booked for 2008. We have most recently cruised on HAL and RCI, both numerous times.

We haven't cruised Carnival since 2003 and are looking forward the change. We have sailed the Rhapsody twice now, the latest being last year, and it was our least favorite trip. The bed was so uncomfortable that my dh slept on the couch all week. Their mattresses, linens, etc. are tired and worn. We had a wonderful corner aft wraparound balcony BUT there was constant soot on the balcony, and even though the room steward was aware, it was up to us to clean. I think this was the FIRST time we did not tip OVER the standard amount. We left the tipping in place, of course, but no extra was left. The service in the dining room was underwhelming also. We have been on other RCI ships, but this is the latest sailing.

Marie

Hi Marie,

You missed a nice cruise on the Sun. I would say join us on the 15-day Spirit repo but the balconies are now $10,700 total. When I booked they were $2200 total. We will be on the Conquest this Sept 2nd.

Dave

Hi Dave - That sounds like a great repo. No cruising for us, unfortunately, in 2007. The next 3 years are going to be quite different for us, alot less travel due to university tution for ds. He is finishing up his first year now. However, I am meeting my sister in Vegas at the end of May. VIVA LAS VEGAS!!

I will be anxious to hear your thoughts on the Conquest after you sail her.

Dh and I will be celebrating our 25 year anniversary on her in Feb 2008. We honeymooned on Carnival! Back then we had to go the "cheap seat" route and had bunkbeds for our honeymoon, NO KIDDING. For our anniversary we'll have a balcony. I would have loved a suite but I am much too frugal for that :).

Great seeing you. I've only been back on the board for a week or so after a long absence of about 6 months or more. I get in trouble when I hang around here, lol, so I figure why torture myself, lol. Happy Cruising!

Marie

We have sailed the Rhapsody twice now, the latest being last year, and it was our least favorite trip. The bed was so uncomfortable that my dh slept on the couch all week. Their mattresses, linens, etc. are tired and worn. We had a wonderful corner aft wraparound balcony Marie

The Rhapsody has since come out of drydock and has the exact same bedding I had on my Princess and Carnival cruises, I think every cruiseline has changed over to those "duvets". Very nice bedding.

Sorry you were on Rhapsody before the dry dock and new bedding.

.....speaking of which, I have read some reviews of the Conquest saying her bedding is getting tired and she needs a dry dock. What is everyone else's opinion?

Iv been on the Ecstasy and loved the new bedding but havent heard that the Conquest has it yet? Has anyone been on her lately that can comment?

The Rhapsody has since come out of drydock and has the exact same bedding I had on my Princess and Carnival cruises, I think every cruiseline has changed over to those "duvets". Very nice bedding.

.....speaking of which, I have read some reviews of the Conquest saying her bedding is getting tired and she needs a dry dock. What is everyone else's opinion?

Iv been on the Ecstasy and loved the new bedding but havent heard that the Conquest has it yet? Has anyone been on her lately that can comment?

This is very good to hear. I guess we just missed it. We last sailed on her in Oct 2006.

Oh goodness about the Conquest, lol. We're not cruising until Feb 2008 so hopefully improvements will be made. Nonetheless, if we could put up with the old RCI bedding, Carnival couldn't be any worse. HAL has awesome bedding and has since my first HAL cruise in 2004. It sounds like the others have finally caught up. And, about mattresses, we sleep on a Sleep Number at home, so really, any regular matteress is an adjustment for us, but the RCI ones are the worst, or were.

Marie

I have been gone from the forums for a while and I thought there use to be a pre and post cruise section for hotels. Anyway I was wondering has anyone stayed at the Super 8 IAH in Humble? It looks ok and the price is fairly reasonable for a precruise hotel. Just need a bed and shuttle from the airport. Any other suggestions or reviews?? Thanks

I have been gone from the forums for a while and I thought there use to be a pre and post cruise section for hotels. Anyway I was wondering has anyone stayed at the Super 8 IAH in Humble? It looks ok and the price is fairly reasonable for a precruise hotel. Just need a bed and shuttle from the airport. Any other suggestions or reviews?? Thanks

It is now titled Gulf Coast Departures. There you will find hotel information.

http://www.tripadvisor.com is also a good source of hotel reviews. Have you considered Priceline? I have noticed on http://www.biddingfortravel.com people getting some very good deals on Houston IAH hotels. We have used Priceline for hotels numerous times and have always been happy. Anymore, if I have to pay rack rate it is a big shock since I am so use to getting terrific Priceline deals.

Marie

Marie

The Hilton has free parking I am told and the Sheraton should be nicer. Not sure I'd trust a Super 8. I personally don't think it is the BEST part of town - not the worst either but I'd stay at a name brand hotel.... Debbie

dh and i were on the conquest march 18. we had an extended length balcony. we were the last balcony on the left side of the ship...# 6450. our balcony was great. you can read my review and get some info if you like. i think it all depends on what you are looking for in a cruise and a cabin. dh & i peeked inside the aft cabins. the balcony was large, and so were the cabins the balcony was in constant sun, so if you like that, the aft may be the way to go. we had sun in the morning and shade in the evening. we were very pleased with our cabin, although some may think a little akward for the layout...(the bathroom door was next to the bed) but it did not bother us any. our particular experience with the staff was not the greatest. out cabin steward was efficient, just not as good as i expected and our waitstaff the same. we changed dinner seatings and were extremely satisfied with our new dinner times. our new waitstaff was tremendous!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=27646

here's the link to my review, even though the date is incorrect. we sailed on march 18.

AlmostPacked! I WOULD LOVE some pictures of your cabin!! Can you please please send me some of the conquest cabin you stayed in???? DizziDezi2 at yahoo dot com. I would sooo appreciate it!

We were on Conquest first week in April and I can say our bedding was the worst of any cruise we ever went on. In fact neither of us slept well and that contributed to a bad experience. As far as a dry dock the ship seemed to be in better shape than any of the others I have been on and was well kept and clean. They must be planning on re-bedding soon as they put brochures in our Capers trying to sell us a "Carnival Comfort" mattress like we were sleeping on. It was also advertised on the "Carnival" TV stations over and over.

We were on Conquest first week in April and I can say our bedding was the worst of any cruise we ever went on. In fact neither of us slept well and that contributed to a bad experience.

Well, I only meant the bedding I heard bad things about, not the rest of the ship.

I would sure love if they put those mattresses and bedding in the Conquest the Ecstasy had. That was the most comfortable bed, sure loved it. Even if the ship was old, the mattress and coverlet was perfect to me.