Costa Maya - David and Ivan tour - Not responding

MotherofMiddleSchoolers

Just back from a week on the Grand Princess. We had a tour to the ruins with David and it was THE BEST! My husband loves archeology and I've been dragged to many, many archeological sites around the world but David made it all come alive with his stories of his grandparents and Mayan legends. What was special is that he is not just a tour guide but an intelligent, articulate young man who grew up with stories of these temples. This may not be the largest site in the area but in mho it is the best because of this tour company!

I agree. Dont get lost with a group of 75 or more. David took us in a new van with cold refreshments and very entertaining excersion. We went in November but I was back last week and he did remember me! AAA+++

Just back from a week on the Grand Princess. We had a tour to the ruins with David and it was THE BEST! My husband loves archeology and I've been dragged to many, many archeological sites around the world but David made it all come alive with his stories of his grandparents and Mayan legends. What was special is that he is not just a tour guide but an intelligent, articulate young man who grew up with stories of these temples. This may not be the largest site in the area but in mho it is the best because of this tour company!

That sounds so awesome...we're gonna be on this tour first week in March, and CAN'T WAIT...thanks for adding to th excitement!!!

I also have not heard back with a reply from David and Ivans. We leave on Saturday for our cruise on the Victory on Sunday. I am hoping that we can join the excursion from the pier. I really just wish that I can get a response from them prior to Saturday. I am going to try to email them from my yahoo account. This sounds really good!!

I had emailed Ivan a few weeks ago to reconfirm our tour. I haven't heard back from him, and I had a few Questions, so maybe those of you who have just returned can answer.....

I read on this thread the tour starts 1 hour after docking. My question is, where do we meet up with the guide? Some posts state at Cats Meow, others on the pier. And is there still the additional 3.00 fee at the pier to pay to get out?

Someone also stated you switch vans. Does this happen in both directions? Just curious since we are traveling with our 6 mo old and will have her carseat...

Can't wait for this tour!!! We sail on the Grand this Saturday!

We actually went on a big tour bus with David and Ivan's tour and another gentleman was our guide - I don't know how to spell his name but he will tell you if you forget his name he responds to "hey you" which sounds almost just like it. He was a great guide and originally from Mexico City. We were taken off in smaller groups at the ruins once we got there. Also, there was a van that came along with the big tour bus we were on since there weren't quite enough seats.

For the poster who hasn't heard back from them - don't worry if you are booked on the tour or not just show up and I'm sure you'll be fine. They have a lot of trouble with the Internet and maintain its connectivity. Just meet them out in front of the ship port entrance. Ask around and you'll find somebody from their tour. Don't ask as soon as you get off the ship to the folks standing there trying to entice you to go on one of their tours because they obviously don't like them. Can we say 'competition'?

I agree that the pineapple was the best - especially with the pepper! There was more than plenty enough time at the site and if you want they'll drop you off into town afterwards! They come highly recommended!

My wife and I have just returned (2/22) off the Splendour of the Seas. We docked at 7am - first ship at the port. We took the tour with Ivan and must say that this was money well spent $43 per person. When you exit the ship, walk past the first batch of tour sellers that congregate at the end of the pier. Walk to the rear of the complex past the pool (exit) and next door to the window where you pay your mandatory $3 fee (port/tspt fee) will be a small vendor hut. This is where we met Ivan's representative. Ask anybody and they will direct you to them - you may also notice some guests wearing bright orange wristbands that say 'Native Choice'. They transported us (small group of 8) in a clean, new van to the fishing village (Cats Meow). Ivan met us and we had a few minutes to use a rest room, take pictures of this picturesque village, before the crowds arrived off 2 ships that were due to dock later in the day. Without repeating the many comments made throughout this site, I would like to say that the tour meant more than $$$$ to Ivan. This was a personal visit to his village and he wanted all of us to feel relaxed and welcome. His presentation was informative, supported by visuals that enabled you to gain a better understanding of the whole complex. As we were a smaller group Ivan found those spaces and created time to make sure we were never made to feel like a herd on the moooooove!!:) .

Hope you all have a wonderful time.

Jim and Wendy.

Since many here have very positive experience with Dave and Ivan, I would like to book with them also. They sound wonderful.

This will be my first time to Mexico, what is the generally accepted tipping %?

For the tour guide?

Is the bus driver separate?

My wife and I went last March and will be returning again this March. When we went though, we had to get a ride to the town and then we left, they did not pick us up. We paid 3.00 there and David and Ivan dropped us off right outside the pier on the way back. I did not tip the driver who took us to the village as we paid the fare. David got tipped 5.00 and the other person got another 5.00 ( I wish I could remember her name.) We then tipped the driver 2.00 when we got back to the pier since we did not have to go to town and get a ride again.

. We took the tour with Ivan and must say that this was money well spent $43 per person.

Was this the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour? David and Ivan offer about 6 different tours it looks like). We are looking for a tour where our two teens will not get too much history, will be able to climb around or walk through the jungle, maybe go snorkeling. Any suggestions?

Deb

. We took the tour with Ivan and must say that this was money well spent $43 per person.

Was this the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour? David and Ivan offer about 6 different tours it looks like). We are looking for a tour where our two teens will not get too much history, will be able to climb around or walk through the jungle, maybe go snorkeling. Any suggestions?

Deb

The Chacchoben ruins from David & Ivan/NativeWays is just the ruins, although there is an option for visiting a Mayan village and sharing a meal. There is very little climbing, I didn't see any places where running through the jungle looked like a good idea, no climbing on the ruins except for climbing a platform (more like a hill!) at the end.

If listening to a tour guide explain history and ethnobotany, etc. is not you're kids' idea of a good time - it sure wasn't mine when I was younger - this is probably not the tour for you. It sounds like they would be happier with a more active tour instead.

If listening to a tour guide explain history and ethnobotany, etc. is not you're kids' idea of a good time - it sure wasn't mine when I was younger - this is probably not the tour for you. It sounds like they would be happier with a more active tour instead.

Any ideas for an active tour?

We were with David and Ivan two weeks ago, taking their "Mayan Experience" tour. We had a great time. We met David at the port area, where we received our wristbands and bought our taxi tickets for Mahajual. We then met Ivan at Majahual, and he was our guide on the ride to Chacchoben and at the ruins. He was extremely knowledgeable about the ruins, Mayan life, and the various plants growing in the area and their medicinal uses. It was much more personalized than the large ship-sponsored excursions; I noticed some folks from the ship excursions coming over to listen to Ivan.

After visiting the ruins, those who were booked for only the ruins returned to Mahajual, while Ivana (not to be confused with Ivan) accompanied the rest of us to Chacchoben village for lunch. We were met by the host family; our oldest son scored points by greeting Grandmother with "Hola - Como esta?" We then had a tortilla-making lesson - it's definitely not as easy as you'd think! Lunch was stewed chicken, rice with vegetables, Mayan "sushi," dipping sauces (one was probably the hottest sauce you'll ever try), many tortillas, an iced tea made from hibiscus, and fruit desserts. After lunch, two family members demonstrated some traditional dances, after which we toured their property. One thing that's interesting is realizing that the natural terrain is absolutely flat. When you see what looks like a hill, it's most likely an unexcavated ruin. This family had several right on their property.

This was one of the best tours we've ever taken. Whether you've booked just the ruins or the "ruins plus," you'll enjoy it.

Hello all!!

Just wanted to share some info. Someone asked a while back about where you meet for this tour! I was reading the terms and conditions page on David and Ivans website and this is what I found:

DEPARTURE PLACE : All our tours start from our location in Mahahual village (Cats Meow Restaurant), except in the cases when pick up at the Costa Maya Port has been requested and confirmed. Please note that the Costa Maya Port, is private and that an extra fee of $7.00USD per person is added to the regular price of our tour to all reservations confirmed starting at the port. Confirmation of reservations starting at the Costa Maya Port will include instructions on how to get to our meeting location.

So it looks like its always the Cats Meow unless otherwise arranged.

Happy sailing everyone!!!!

Archived