HELP! Are My Children Going To Be Bored On The Noordam?

Travelgirl2007

After much investigation and reading of the CC boards, we booked an Alaska cruise on the Noordam in July. But, the more I read, the more I am worried that there may not be many children's activities for my daughter (9) and son (13). They don't need constant activity and are used to traveling in non-resort type places. But will it be enough????

We were on Zuiderdam (twin sister to Noordam) last July with some young cousins, I think 15 and 13. They had a great time, spending quite a bit of time in the teen program but also a lot of nice family time. I think your kids will be able to find plenty to do.

Have a GREAT cruise!

After much investigation and reading of the CC boards, we booked an Alaska cruise on the Noordam in July. But, the more I read, the more I am worried that there may not be many children's activities for my daughter (9) and son (13). They don't need constant activity and are used to traveling in non-resort type places. But will it be enough????

I'm sure your children will be fine - Alaska is a learning experience! They will learn things that can only be experienced in Alaska - an invaluable experience to see how others live!

Enjoy! :)

• 2 weeks later...

In the caribbean on Westerdam last week, there were VERY few children that ages onboard. My advice would be that if they like spending time with you, they will be fine. If not, then you might have issues. I would guess that Caribbean cruises would have the most children of all of HAL's cruises and there really were not very many at all, although I suppose school is in now and won't be in July.

Don't worry. There will be plenty of other kids on board because it's summer vacation. Your kids are the perfect age for the children/teen program and I would not hesitate booking. My daughter grew up on various HAL ships and loved their programs.

We were in Alaska on the Stantendam two summers ago. We cruised 7 days up and 7 days back. There were lots of kids on board both ways.Trips to Alaska in the summer have lots of kids because they are off from school then. I agree with hammybe. Alaska is a great learning experience. We shared a helicopter with a family with two children and then we went dog sledding. The kids had a wonderful time. There is so much to see and do on shore that I think they'll love it.

We were in Alaska on the Stantendam two summers ago. We cruised 7 days up and 7 days back. There were lots of kids on board both ways.Trips to Alaska in the summer have lots of kids because they are off from school then. I agree with hammybe. Alaska is a great learning experience. We shared a helicopter with a family with two children and then we went dog sledding. The kids had a wonderful time. There is so much to see and do on shore that I think they'll love it.

HAL does seem to have fewer children on board than some of the other lines. We went on a spring break cruise last year with my then 9 year old. She's a cruise vet and loves the kids programs. She actually really enjoyed HAL's program even though I thought it didn't look like they were offering much. Their hours were also more limited than what we've seen on X or RCCL - just a few 3 hour blocks at a time. Neither of us can remember but she thought there might have been 20 or so in the 8-12 group that participated in the kids program. And there are always kids that never join the programs available. My daughter saw a boy from her class at school on board but only once at kid program events. I think he may have actually spent time at some of the adult events. I definitely saw him at bingo one day! Your kids will find a similarly aged friend on board to hang around with. Don't worry about that. There a few "themed" nights for the kids and usually some sort of talent show. Not sure if you call HAL if they can tell you in advance what those themes might be. I definitely remember a country western night and a pajama party night.

Want to mention though that HAL lets this age group sign themselves in and out of the kid program events (as long as you authorize it upfront). What I saw one family do was have each member carry a walkie talkie so they could find each other easily. And if nothing else, there are covered pool areas that the kids seem to spend lots of time at every day. :) They'll have a great time as long as you're having a great time.

Archived