Shame! Shame! THREE hours to disembark the Star on Jan 19

WWLL

The disembarkation in Los Angeles on Jan 19 was a disaster.

First, Immiigration had only four clerks instead of the eight requested by NCL.

Second, the witless NCL staff did not move people efficiently.

Third, non-US citizens had a different line. About 250 US citizens went to clear immigration for every one non-citizen allowed to clear. Some non-citizens are residents of the USA and pay the same taxes.

Gee, the Star is still at sea. The ship in the LA port was RCI-Monarch of the Seas. :rolleyes:

Ok so he meant 1/17.

1. But how is it NCL's fault for not having enough immigration people to process the citizens and non-citizens onboard.

2. What did you want them to do?

3. Non-citizens still mean they are not citizens of the USA, they have different requirements for reentering the USA(Homeland Security measures)

None of these issues show NCL at fault. Why the post???

Third, non-US citizens had a different line. About 250 US citizens went to clear immigration for every one non-citizen allowed to clear. Some non-citizens are residents of the USA and pay the same taxes.

Hey finally something worked out to our advantage We are usually the ones waiting in the longer slower lines:)

What time did you endup getting of the ship?

Tsunamis and earthquakes are disasters.

Sorry you were held up, but your status as a taxpayer has no bearing on your immigration rights.

Sometimes we MidNorthAmericans have a hard time with Customs in Vancouver and Montreal, too.

It's cruising.

Three hours from when you docked?

Not bad:)

Were there other ships in port? Last year on the Star when we were sailing out of LA there were 4 ships in ports that day. The Star was the last in and therefore those passengers were the last off due to the immigration officials sharing with the other ships. We couldn't even board till after 1pm in the afternoon that day. Just never plan to get off the ship ealrly for an early flight out.:)

We were on the Star and had the last debarkation tag time. I think it ended up about an hour and a half later than originally stated. The lady working in the Java Cafe, where we sat and waited, was extremely surprised that we weren't out of there by 10:30 am. Our original time was 10:45 am. It was immigration holding things up not NCL. Two lines was normal for every time I have come into a port, US or non US, by ship or air. Loved the Star.

We never had that problem with NCL, but what is great fun is checking out all the different cabins from the lower decks to suites. Works well for situations that we cannot control. :) :)

Just wanted to let you know that even though NCL might ask for 8 customs agents, they usually only get 4. There was only 4 agents when I was on that same cruise in December and all the other cruises I've read about disembarkation had only 4 agents as well. So seems even though NCL may tell you that they request 8 agents, CBP will do what they want. You can't tell the CBP what to do. Sad but true.

NOT SO NICE WHEN YOU HAVE A 12:15 flight OUT of LA.

Well it isn't like the point hasn't been made before to allow yourself ample time to get off the ship before your flight is scheduled. I wouldn't schedule a flight out until at least 2pm on the day of disembarkation. Any earlier, and you're playing with fire.

I can imagine the frustration, but you have no idea what debarkation was like 20 years ago: what a joke. NCL normally runs a very smooth embarkation and debarkation; what happened with you doesn't seem to be the fault on NCL. As for non-citizens, don't even go there: Of course many pay taxes, we have friends who are non citizens, my own boss is, but they still have to go through a different process and that should be the way it is. I think you need to take your frustrations out on someone other than the NCL crew. Do you think they like the long wait? The sooner they get the ship cleared and get mew passengers on, the sooner they start making more money. Relax, and how was the rest of your cruise?

NMNita

I don't believe the NCL staff on board the Star should be blamed at all.

On our 2004 cruise on the Sun, the disembarkation was the absolute downside of a pleasant trip. Since our flight left after 2:00 PM, we decided to take a ship-sponsored tour of Miami that left us off at the airport. We gathered in the theater and waited until we were called. As far as we were aware, the only ones who should have been called with us were those on excursions and those who had early flights out of Fort Lauderdale. We expected some waiting but were astounded by the cattle call that greeted us. It looked like half the ship was trying to leave at once. There were literally hundreds of people on the three decks of the atrium lined up to disembark. There was NO WAY all these people were headed to early flights to either Miami or Lauderdale.

Later we found out that NCL offered some sort of early disembarkation deal if you had a really early flight where you didn't have to wait to be called and could step right off the ship. Based on the sheer volume of people exiting so early from the ship, this was clearly abused by passengers. I would imagine that a similar scenario must have taken place on the Star.

Our tour was an hour late in getting started but was over in pleny of time for us to make our afternoon flight out of Fort Lauderdale. The only thing worse than the disembarkation off the Sun was the chaos that met us at the airport at Lauderdale. But we made our flight.

NOT SO NICE WHEN YOU HAVE A 12:15 flight OUT of LA.

Why would anyone book a 12:15 flight out of LA for the last day of a cruise? What if the ship hits fog and is delayed. What if there is a medical emergency and the ship has to detour to San Diego (as happened twice on my many cruises to Mexico)?

Why would anyone book a 12:15 flight out of LA for the last day of a cruise? What if the ship hits fog and is delayed. What if there is a medical emergency and the ship has to detour to San Diego (as happened twice on my many cruises to Mexico)?

Well let me see. When we were on the Sun in Sept 2006, our return flight from LA to Vancouver was at 12:45pm which was booked through NCL.

We were handed red-cards for disembarkation, which meant we were to be the first off after the express people. I swear half the ship took advantage of the express disembarkation, which left us about 2 hours to get to LAX after we finally got off the ship. It wasn't that bad. I wasn't worried either because the flight was booked with NCL. So, if we missed the flight, they would take care of us. In the end it turned out that we got to LAX with 1 hour to spare, and the flight was delayed 3 hours.

I find it hard to believe that people will lay blame on a cruise line for matters that our out of their control.

If Homeland Security decides to be extra diligent then why is that the cruise line's problem.

I agree with Shoreguy - 3 hours from when you docked to getting off the ship is not bad at all.

Jerhardt......I am sick and tired of people complaining about being delayed a few hours, or not getting butter instead of margarine!!! Useless complaints!!

Millions of people in this world, will never get enough to eat, let alone save enough money to buy a car or house. They will certainly never have enough to spend on a cruise!!!

Get your priorities straight mate!!!

3 hours is not long to wait at all after docking, why the rush!! next time book a later flight, or stay a day in the port city.

you made the booking you are to blame!! don't blame anyone else!!

P.S...I'm a permanant Resident of the USA, Australian nationality...If I have to wait a few extra minutes to get frisked or processed or whatever, so be it. Sign of the times, better they be sure who everyone is than not.

Norwegian Sun 2007, W.Caribbean

Costa Magica 2006, E.Caribbean

Norwegian Star 2005, Alaska

HAL Zuiderdam 2005, Bahamas

Norwegian Sea 2004, W.Caribbean

Jerhardt,

Sorry, sometimes some of these idiots on this board cause me to get all fired up.

Previous post, was not meant to be directed at you.

Cruising is a privlege that we that live in wealthy countries shouldn't take for granted.

Life can be alot worse people!!!

Jerhardt......I am sick and tired of people complaining about being delayed a few hours, or not getting butter instead of margarine!!! Useless complaints!!

Millions of people in this world, will never get enough to eat, let alone save enough money to buy a car or house. They will certainly never have enough to spend on a cruise!!!

Get your priorities straight mate!!!

3 hours is not long to wait at all after docking, why the rush!! next time book a later flight, or stay a day in the port city.

you made the booking you are to blame!! don't blame anyone else!!

Actually, I don't think there's any need for apologies.... somedays I want to drag out my soapbox and shout the same thing at some of the CC posters.....

it's been a while since I've been able to afford cruising (my traveling companion uup and got married on me, so now when I want to go I have to pay the dreaded single supplement - 200% for a single ticket.

I plan as much extra time into my trip as I possibly can - assume your flight down will be late; get to the airport early 'cause you never know what traffic will be like; plan to take a late flight home 'cause you never know what the disembarkation will be like...."suck the marrow" out of your vacation

(ok, too much late night tv for me - one show mourning the loss of our favorite wildlife warrior and then a really interesting program on lost tribes of Africa.... interesting to note that in S. Africa if you don't have your "papers" on you, even a tourist can be tossed into prison indefinately....) but that's another discussion

Jerhardt,

Sorry, sometimes some of these idiots on this board cause me to get all fired up.

Previous post, was not meant to be directed at you.

Cruising is a privlege that we that live in wealthy countries shouldn't take for granted.

Life can be alot worse people!!!

The "Idiots" have a right to be aggreived, it is free speech in the" wealthy countries" is that not what we have fought and died for?

Let's settle down! ;) :D Cruise Critic is a privately owned message board so technically there is no right to free speech here. The board guidelines tell us what we can and cannot say. So let's tone down the "idiot" speech. Thanks! :)

Archived