Just Back from Oosterdam - Review

San Diego Cruzer

I have a few questions for San Diego Cruzer. You stated you really enjoyed "as you wish dinning". Out of curiosity, what time did you eat dinner and did you have to wait for a table? Were you seated with others or have a table for 2? Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Diane

We were originally in the Traditional dining table 39 (table of 8) in the upper dining room (Deck 3) at 8:00 p.m. (late seating) - which is usually our preference, especially after days in port. However, after deciding one night to go to the early show, we would have missed our dining time (8pm) and decided to go at 9pm to the As You Wish Dining. They were very clear we could not switch back to the traditional dining, but they seated us right away at a Table of 6 and we met some very nice people. We never had to wait the subsquent evenings - though you do have the choice each day to make reservations for the time and number at your table you want. We just decided to be as flexible as possible. Somedays we ate early (at least for us) at 7 and others later than that. Never any wait and each time they asked us what size table, several nights we had tables of 6 or 8 and the last night just a table of 4. We were told that trying to dine at 6:30 was the busiest time and we might experience a wait.

Question: If you decide to switch to As You Wish dining midcruise, that leaves your traditional tablemates ... how? With random tablemates doing As You Wish each night, or with newly assigned "permanent" table mates? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Not really sure what the answer to your question is. But the As You Wish is on one level of the dining room (2) and the Traditional is upstairs (3) - so as a Traditional diner you would not be seated with random As You Wish diners.

In our case, we ran into our Traditional tablemates the next day and told them what we had done. We also saw them the last day of the cruise and it sounded like they did not have anyone else assigned to that table. Theoretically, I suppose our switching would allow someone who wanted to move tables or move to that dining time an opportunity. I would also suppose that someone who is first assigned As You Wish, could switch to Traditional. We were told that you were allowed one switch only.

Be careful to check your library charges before the last day! Since that was suggested on this board last summer, I checked my Westerdam bill and they mistakenly didn't show 2 books returned. Last week on the O, only my checked out books showed and none of my returns -- I was in the hole $240! In both cases it was straightened out but their system definitely needs some help.

MM

Be careful to check your library charges before the last day! Since that was suggested on this board last summer, I checked my Westerdam bill and they mistakenly didn't show 2 books returned. Last week on the O, only my checked out books showed and none of my returns -- I was in the hole $240! In both cases it was straightened out but their system definitely needs some help.

MM

For you seasoned travelers to Mexico, where are some good place to eat in Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV? Any of you been to the Wal-Mart in PV? What's your favorite Ports-Of-Call? We'll be on "The O" Feb. 3rd. Thanks in advance for your advice and comments. Jeff, the questions man.........

For you seasoned travelers to Mexico, where are some good place to eat in Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV? Any of you been to the Wal-Mart in PV? What's your favorite Ports-Of-Call? We'll be on "The O" Feb. 3rd. Thanks in advance for your advice and comments. Jeff, the questions man.........

Jeff - there are so many wonderful places to eat in these ports - especially (IMO) if you like seafood. You also might try this post in the ports of call thread section. In Cabo - we usually eat at The Office. It is touristy, but the food is actually very good. The prices are a little steep (but I have found this try in Cabo for awhile now). The Office is right on the beach (literally, the tables are in the sand!). We had some yummy garlic crabs while we were there ($19USD) and some good gaucamole and chips, not to mention some good margaritas. I also had some lobster tacos which were very good. The portions were large and 3 entrees was more than enough to feed 4 people.

In Mazatlan - this time we took a referral from some locals and went to La Puntillo (which is actually walking distance to the dock) - it is a very good seafood restaurant right on the water. We had some wonderful ceviche and some very good shrimp (mine was with garlic - yummy). Prices here very reasonable. I think my shrimp (which included sides of rice, beans, etc) was about $11 USD. We also during the tour of the local downtown market had some quick "street" tacos - which were good.

In PV (our favorite) - there are soo many good restaurants it is hard to list them. Trouble is some of our favs are open only for dinner and with the revised port time due to the azipod, we had to skip them. The Marina area has some good restaurants right along the docks - Portabello (italian) is good, as is Ochoa Tostados (again - seafood/ceviche). I also find Daicquiri Di**s a fun place, right on the Los Muertos Beach and pretty good food. La Palapa is nice and right on the beach (though a little pricey). We also love a lot of the street taco places including Los Arcos (right under Hooters on the Malecon).

Yes, been to PV wal-mart - it is one of the super wal-marts with groceries and wine/beer, etc. They actually have a good bakery with lots of yummy Mexican pastries. Was there something you wanted specifically there? I really wouldn't waste my time in port at the wal-mart unless you needed something. If you want to see a Mexican grocery store - check out Gigante.

So glad to hear Mr. Deering is only going on vacation. He and Captain Mercer were wonderful on our cruise last year and we're looking forward to seeing them again this year in April.

But this azipod issue has me a little concerned now since we booked a cabin aft this year....

So glad to hear Mr. Deering is only going on vacation. He and Captain Mercer were wonderful on our cruise last year and we're looking forward to seeing them again this year in April.

But this azipod issue has me a little concerned now since we booked a cabin aft this year....

We will be in 5187 corner aft on March 17th, the last two time we have been on the Oosterdam we have been in this cabin so we will definitely be able to tell if it is any different and will report when we return. I have been told that there is just a slight notice of some vibration but after the first night you really do not notice it.

Mike;

I understand he's going for his much-needed vacation until mid-March, when he'll be back on the O.

Karin

We will be in 5187 corner aft on March 17th, the last two time we have been on the Oosterdam we have been in this cabin so we will definitely be able to tell if it is any different and will report when we return. I have been told that there is just a slight notice of some vibration but after the first night you really do not notice it.

Well, I'll be in there 2 weeks after you. Wonder who we're bookending in that cabin? <grin>

I started getting concerned about the azipod issues after reading a few threads. We sailed up to Alaska on the Galaxy a number of years ago in an aft cabin. That ship had what I believe were azipod problems and it was bad. The ceiling panels shook every time the ship went in or out of port. It was ok the rest of the time but pretty scary about twice a day. Oh and one evening at dinner when the plates and glasses shook on the tables.

Archived