5 Left Behind At Grand Caymen

On MOS in December, we rushed to make sure we wouldn't be left at any of the ports. But, we fell in love with Grand Cayman and both agreed that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to be left behind there!

We weren't brave enough to try it, but if it had been the last day of the cruise, it might have been worth it. Stranded in Grand Cayman beats winter in Wisconsin any day!

Easier and quicker to fly straight to Jamaica.... why in the world would you fly to Florida first? That is insane, hopefully someone will come back the full story...

Air Jamaica regulary flys to the Caymans...

Just looked it up, less than $200 to make the direct flight. Not even that expensive if they can get the approvals ;)

I've seen this happen in Costa Maya. We were on the Splendour which

was to leave at 5:00 and there was another RC ship that left at 3:00.

Well. when we were getting ready to leave there was a commotion down

by where you get on. There was a group of 6 who missed their ship

and tried to get on ours. The Captain later told me that they are not

allowed to pick up people. The ship would have been fined $5000 per

person. The next port of call for that ship was going to be Cozumel.

So, I imagine they had to take one very expensive taxi ride to get from

Costa Maya to Cozumel. We later hear that due to high waves that

ship was not able to stop at Cozumel and continued on. What a mess.

I always wonder what would happen if you where a young adult with

only $20 bucks in your pocket and no credit card what you would do

in this situation.

There is also the issue of - What does the cabin steward do with the belongings of the people who never return to the ship? I saw on a show about cruise ship safety, when a young woman never returned to her stateroom, that her attendant just threw out all her stuff. This young woman was the victim of foul play and was never found, presumed dead. I could not believe they just threw out her stuff. Think about everything you leave in your cabin when you go ashore. I would really like to know if there is any protocol for what the ship does with the belongings of someone who does not return because they must have missed the ship. Anybody have any knowledge?

I would love to see this thread merged with the "Do I really need a passport?" one! :D

fdlol..and "Should I take my passport with me on excursions?"

Actually..if that were me you'd find me sittin' on a swing belly up to the bar at Coconut Joe's in Grand Cayman.. great bar.. and even better beach..right across the street..and NO I'm not telling you where in GC it is either. ;) Well..maybe if you're nice I will.

I would really like to know if there is any protocol for what the ship does with the belongings of someone who does not return because they must have missed the ship. Anybody have any knowledge?

I believe the cruise line would send them to the Lost and Found dept. I knew a couple who got left behind and they were able to pick up their belongings when the ship got back. It was packed for them.

I would really like to know if there is any protocol for what the ship does with the belongings of someone who does not return because they must have missed the ship. Anybody have any knowledge?

I believe the cruise line would send them to the Lost and Found dept. I knew a couple who got left behind and they were able to pick up their belongings when the ship got back. It was packed for them.

:rolleyes: Ah' date=' I remember some posts like that... I think some were also missing their iPod, Nintendo, Laptop, Digital Camera, alcohol, etc.... ( what else am I missing here guys?)

Pass the popcorn please.... :p

....Does insurance cover it??

That is going to depend on your insurance policy. Most travel/cruise policies are named peril policies and missing the ship because you weren't paying attention isn't one of the perils covered. In fact, I found out the hard way that they can be VERY specific about what is covered and what is not. We saved a couple of bucks on our policy but, it did NOT cover the extra $1,400 in airfare to get home from Barcelona Spain when a fishermans strike blocked the port, preventing us from docking and catching our flight. It seems that sort of peril was not covered.

Now if it had been something to do with the weather preventing the plane from flying (not the ship from docking) or a strike that affected public transportation or a traffic accident the stopped traffic, we'd have been good.

Others had policies that DID pay for their expenses. All travel policies are NOT created equal and you really have to read them to know if you're getting what you think you're paying for.

So, maybe their insurance policy, if they had one, paid for their extra expenses, maybe not. My guess from reading through a few of these types policies is probably not.

Hmmm that makes me wonder. Would someone in that situation still be billed the auto tip? After all, the room was still occupied by their belongings until someone was able to pack it up. I know that would be the least of their worries... just curious!

Hmmm that makes me wonder. Would someone in that situation still be billed the auto tip? After all, the room was still occupied by their belongings until someone was able to pack it up. I know that would be the least of their worries... just curious!
Wonder no more, Enchanted. RC doesn't employ auto-tipping. You either pay in cash, pre-pay in total, or add the tips to your SeaPass voluntarily. :)

Wonder no more, Enchanted. RC doesn't employ auto-tipping. You either pay in cash, pre-pay in total, or add the tips to your SeaPass voluntarily. :)

Wow,

my reply was meant as a joke, but turns out i learned something- thanks!

We were on the Radiance standing in line at the guest relations desk and started chatting with the couple in front of us. We were just leaving Cozumel. Turned out that they were on their honeymoon and had missed their ship (Carnival) and were allowed on the Radiance to catch up with their ship at the next stop. They said they were really impressed with RC and wished they were staying.

Did they get a picture of the back of the ship as it left port??:p

They didn't return to pier until after Freedom was gone from sight. We got on line for last tender to Radiance when Freedom left dock. These 5 showed up about 1/2 hour later when we were about to leave dock. We got held up over 20/30 minutes with them trying to talk our tender and dock personnel into letting them on board.

We were on the Radiance standing in line at the guest relations desk and started chatting with the couple in front of us. We were just leaving Cozumel. Turned out that they were on their honeymoon and had missed their ship (Carnival) and were allowed on the Radiance to catch up with their ship at the next stop. They said they were really impressed with RC and wished they were staying.

Yeah RC felt sorry for them sailing Carnival.

I would have been extremely surprised if they were allowed on the Radinace even if they had cabins available. I would have thought they would have had to be listed on the manifest for the Radiance to dock at the next port of call (Jamaica) and disembark.

Right

Archived