Hand Sanitizers And Hand Washing

ksuds

I really am not making fun of you at all, but this is shocking. I would see a good counselor.

Putting remotes in baggies, and cleaning rooms from top to bottom with bleach is just not the norm. Showering 2-3 times a day can be more harmful to your skin than you realize. You are washing away all the skin's normal flora .

I do believe you haven't been sick in 10 years, but look out when you do, as your body has never had the chance to develope antibodies.

I really would consider counseling, and I am not trying to be funny or mean.

My family and I follow these procedures on every cruise, and we have not been ill at sea or on land in at least ten years. If you think they are too extreme for you please disreguard them and go ahead with your day. I have posted these on a tread back in September and people really made fun of me and got mad. I'm just trying to help people stay healthy and happy on cruises. :)

NOROVIRUS PRECAUTIONS:

1. Take "Airborne" and "Vitamin C" lozenges beginning 10 days before sailing. Avoid contact with people that you suspect may have any type of illness, and wash hands on the hour with a strong antibacterial soap, and before eating, drinking, touching face, and after leaving the restroom.

2. Use hand sanitizer liberally in supplement to hand washing. Norovirus can be killed with constant alcohol exposure of three minutes.

3. When boarding an airplane, wipe down your tray table and seatbelt with Clorox bleach wipes. Avoid touching that seatbelt as much as you can.

4. While on the airplane, try to avoid people around you that are coughing, sneezing, etc. (if at all possible). Never directly face such a person to avoid them breathing on you. Do not shake hands.

5. While on the flight, don't touch anything and avoid the lavatory. Do not take any food and beverage service.

4. After landing, wash hands for at least one minute with antibacterial soap, and include arms and elbows, and face. Use paper towels only and use a paper towel to turn off the water and open the door.

5. Change clothes as soon as you reach your hotel, and place in a plastic bag. Do not wear these airplane clothes again until washed. Immediately take a shower.

6. After onboard the ship, sanitize everything in the cabin upon arrival: Repeat daily.

A. Lysol spray all bedspreads, couches, carpets, and chairs.

B. Use a bleach solution for all bathroom surfaces including floor, shower walls, toilet, sink, faucets, and walls.

C. Use Lysol wipes for all wooden surfaces, table tops, night stands, lamps, telephones, light switches, thermostat, door handles (inside and out), and closet hangers. Place TV remote in a ziplock bag and punch the buttons without touching it at all.

D. Use a water and antibacterial soap solution to scrub balcony floor. Lysol wipe the balcony railing, and Lysol spray all balcony furniture.

E. Use Lysol wipes for plastic "Do Not Disturb" signs, ice buckets, mini-fridges, and other objects.

F. Send your bedspread comforter to be laundered as soon as you arrive. Bring your own pillow.

G. VACATE STATEROOM UNTIL CLEANING ODOR SUBSIDES. LEAVE BALCONY DOOR OPEN. MOVE TO FRESH AIR IF YOU BECOME SENSITIVE TO THE ODOR.

7. Be sensible while on the cruise. Bring bottles of antibacterial soap for personal use, and use antibacterial bar soap for showering. Pour Listerine on your toothbrush before each use to clean. Wash hands before entering the buffet and again after putting your plate on your table before eating. Used gloves to handle tongs. Stay away from anyone that may be ill. Never touch handrails. Wash hands when entering and when leaving your stateroom, before eating, drinking, smoking, touching face, and before and after using the restroom. Use hospital grade hand sanitizers liberally and often. Use bleach wipes in the dining room or buffet before eating. NEVER USE HOT TUBS AND DO NOT SUBMERGE HEAD IN SWIMMING POOLS. Shower after swimming onboard or ashore. Shower at lease twice daily, especially after shore excursions.

8. Never use the public restrooms, and do not open doors to exterior decks or public rooms without a napkin, paper towel, or other barrier. Your elbow can be used as a last resort to open doors, but be sure to wash it. DO NOT PUSH ELEVATOR BUTTONS WITH HANDS OR USE HOUSE PHONES. Avoid touching objects in the public areas. Only your clothes should ever touch a chair or a lounge. Never wear the same clothes twice to avoid contamination.

9. If there is an outbreak onboard, severely limit your time in public areas. Eat only in the dining room. Before leaving the stateroom know your destination, and take the shortest route. Do not use elevators, since the small space allows sneezes and airborn particles to remain longer. Stay in your cabin and on open decks, instead of inside the ship. If necessary, or in case of severe outbreak of more than three to five percent of all passengers affected, use room service for all meals, and do not leave cabin unless the general emergency signal sounds.

10. Have a great, significantly germ reduced cruise vacation!

In case you contract the norovirus illness: Use Pepto Bismol, Immodium, and Advil as directed. Contact the ship's doctor for an appointment, and remain in your cabin to protect others.

I´m not sure if you are for real, but if you are, you shouldn´t repeat your stateroom routine daily.

It has to be repeated at least twice a day. Every time your stateroom attendant has entered your room he infected it again with all the germs from outside as he cleaned the complete room with the same stuff he had cleaned all the other rooms before.:p

Also I´m not sure and you may have had this in your routine already(couldn´t read all this without tears from laughing in my eyes). Anyway don´t forget to completely strip everytime you enter your room, wipe down yourself completely with sanitizer and burn your clothes, you don´t want to recontaminate your room.

Oh one more thing coming to my mind.

Your luggage!!!

Just think about where it could have been during the travel:eek: . I don´t think it would be safe to touch it or have it anywhere in your cabin.

5. Change clothes as soon as you reach your hotel, and place in a plastic bag. Do not wear these airplane clothes again until washed. Immediately take a shower.

I´m sorry but I have to comment one more time.

You should follow your stateroom routine in Hotel rooms too, they are the same risk as cruise ship staterooms and therefore the cleaning routine should be followed before immediately taking the shower. Then of course after the shower the bathroom needs another treatment and if you haven´t been careful while scrubbing the bathroom you yourself may need another shower and after this the bathroom may need another treatment and if you haven´t been careful........................................:p :p

Like I read on another thread "There´s medication for this"

Well, at least thank you for not being mean. We only do this on cruises, not in hotel rooms. Cruises are more important to us than land vacations, so if we get sick on a normal vacation we won't care. We aren't afraid of getting sick, we just never do. We don't want anything to go wrong on an expensive cruise vacation that we only take once a year. As far as repeating daily, what we usually do is just wipe down the bathroom surfaces, door handles and light switches each day. We don't do the entire procedure daily. We are not that paranoid! :) As far as the immune system, people get plenty of antibodies and immunities from breathing the air in your home, grocery store, and public places. That’s what our family doctor told us. The only thing that we do to protect ourselves from getting sick is eliminate the hand to mouth route which accounts for 80% of illnesses as much as we can. These precautions only take about 45 minutes or less on embarkation day and then 10 minutes each following day, so we enjoy our cruises to the fullest, illness free. In our family we all have extremely strong immune systems, and we don't do any of these things at home and still don't get sick *knock on wood*...they are strictly for cruises only. Happy Cruising! :)

To QM2 cruiser: GOOD GRIEF.

Not making fun or mad, honest. Just my initial reaction to your post.

That's exactly what I thought,good grief. Why not just bring a life size bubble with you and live in that, or stay home. Can you say overkill. To each his own I guess.

Not to be mean, but you need some professional help QM2. I seriously think you can better get the norovirus than some of your absurd procedures. This behaviour affects your quality of life in a negative way.

Do not shake hands.

This is no good and can be very rude, sometimes you have to shake hands. Sanitize your hands and you're OK.

While on the flight, don't touch anything and avoid the lavatory. Do not take any food and beverage service.

Why avoiding the lavatory? Wash your hands and use napkins to flush or open/close the door. We have to eat and use the lavatory during 6-14 hours flights. We are human beings.

C. Use Lysol wipes for all wooden surfaces, table tops, night stands, lamps, telephones, light switches, thermostat, door handles (inside and out), and closet hangers. Place TV remote in a ziplock bag and punch the buttons without touching it at all.

Your 'sick' mind keeps you prisoned, please contact a doctor.

Use a water and antibacterial soap solution to scrub balcony floor.

When I read your procedures for the first time, I thought you were very serious. But you have a great sense of humor. This is hilarious. :)

NEVER USE HOT TUBS AND DO NOT SUBMERGE HEAD IN SWIMMING POOLS.

;)

If there is an outbreak onboard, severely limit your time in public areas. Before leaving the stateroom know your destination, and take the shortest route. Stay in your cabin and on open decks, instead of inside the ship. If necessary, or in case of severe outbreak of more than three to five percent of all passengers affected, use room service for all meals, and do not leave cabin unless the general emergency signal sounds.

This is way too hilarious, you almost had me there! One of the funniest Norovirus posts of the last 3 years :D

Continuing on because it's a slow afternoon, what about the cutlery, plates and glasses you use in the dining room? There are people that touch your plates before they are presented to you. :eek: What about the chairs you sit in on the ship? Do you wipe them down before sitting? What about the carpet in your cabin? Do you have means to vacuum it twice a day or do you trust "Henry" to do the job well? What do you do on your port days? Do you wipe down everything before you come in contact with it? Kind of hard not to use the bathroom when on an extended flight, 6-12 hours. Hey it's your life but you can see from the responses on your other threads and this one that this is not the normal way for people to live. Nobody is being mean. We just don't understand how you can live this way. How do your family members feel?

I was on the Splendour on the 1/15 cruise. I have also been on 2 Holland America cruises this year. The difference with how the approach is totally different.

I was shocked on the first day that the sanitizer outside the Windjammer was empty. It took me telling 2 people about it to get it filled. On Holland America they won't give you the tray on the Lido unless you Purell. When you enter the dining room you cant get in without getting a shot of Purell.

Holland America has them in the library, and around most of the public spaces. This ship they were far and few between. Also there were many times that I found the trash cans in the public restrooms overflowing. This shouldn't happen.

While I agree that everyone is responsible for their own actions (washing hands etc), I felt they were very lacks in how they treated the situation. The funny thing is that I wound up with a very bad cold by the last day of the cruise, and I carry Purell with me everywhere while on a cruise.

Of course, Holland America has had it's share of Norovirus on its sailings, I feel that they certainly were more proactive than Royal Caribbean.

Archived