Charge How Much Ta

earl_m

It was the first time that I notice on my bill from my TA. That she charge

me for professional services. I check my past bills and this is the first time I was charge for service.It cost $39.00 . I don`t mind paying because I get good service. Is this normal now and how much are you paying

I have never paid anything. Did this TA make your airline arrangements for you? If so, that's probably the charge. Many TAs charge since the airlines stopped paying commissions long ago.

If you made your own air reservations, I'd be asking this TA why she's charging you.

me for professional services. I check my past bills and this is the first time I was charge for service.It cost $39.00 . I don`t mind paying because I get good service. Is this normal now and how much are you paying

As far as I'm concerned, that fee should have been disclosed upfront. If it wasn't, I would tell the TA to explain it or remove it (maybe remove it after explaining it) To me, it's the same as that preprinted line on some new car sales forms... ADM... that they try to nick you for a few hundred more. I cross it off and tell them I don't pay "added dealer margin".

As I mentioned on another thread, I am shopping for a cruise and for the first time I am noticing that several T/As seem to have a nominal service charge, for the reservation, which does not include air. The service charge seems to be offset by OBC or some other perk when I look at it on a net cost basis.

I am thinking it's going to be SOP in the not too distant future.

Hi there:-

My wife and I are new to Cruising and we have been BCAA (Auto Association) Members for some 41 years, and went on a cruise last year and did not pay any fees to our BCAA travel agent.

This year when we booked another cruise our BCAA agent indicated changes to there policy and it is now charging a $50.00 fee per person for the service. However, she waived one of the two (2) fees, so we would only pay $50.00 instead of $100.00. I looked after all my own travel arrangements this time i.e. air fare, rooms both pre-cruise and post cruise. She is ownly dealing with the cruise line.

Next year I will probably be looking for a new travel agent.

FYI

Myron

B.C. Canada

So, what's their commission for? :confused: :confused:

I am seeing a trend towards "service fees" in most businesses that operate a commission compensation system. Grumpy mentioned auto sales. Mainstream Real estate Brokers usually charge a service fee above and beyond the commission. Lenders and Title companies have been doing this for years. I suspect the car salesman or real estate agent eat the fee to avoid losing a potential sale.

So it makes sense that T/As are moving towards the same thing.

The precendence for the T/A service fee began when the airlines went to a flat fee, instead of a percentage basis reward system. The service fee seems necessary to compensate the agency for the reservation, even more so if people are involved in the transaction.

I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes between TAs and cruise lines. I think the 500 pound gorilla cruise lines are gearing up their online engines and support systems to offer a guaranteed best rate to consumers who book direct. And this means that the T/A has to offer a value-added service and is entitled to a nominal fee for such service.

When as consumers we push back on the service fees, remember, it's the the front line guy that's goes to eat it. The owner/operator is most likely going to take the service fee off the top of the saleman's split. In otherwords, the house always wins.

I'm with JHannah...Agents still receive commissions on cruises & hotels, so don't understand a service fee for those items..However do understand the service fee for booking air..

Grumpy.. bought a new car in 2004 & just looked at the contract again...Could not find an ADM fee on it, but maybe it was because I told him what I was willing to pay & said it was "my Max. price, out the door with no added fees"... However will remember it for future reference..Thanks.Betty.

P.S. Dealer later said I drove a hard bargain! ;) think that was a compliment, but can't be sure..;)

I'm with JHannah...Agents still receive commissions on cruises & hotels, so don't understand a service fee for those items..However do understand the service fee for booking air.. ;)

I am thinking that commission structures may be changing, at least for some cruise lines or that commission structures may not have changed in a long, long time and the cost of doing business has escalated as has just about the cost of everything.

I will say that on the quotes I received that included a service charge, they were offset with OBC so I just viewed it from a net dollar standpoint.

In any event, my guess is that such service charges may become SOP at some future point in time. We all balked when it was first introduced for airlines and today, unless one books directly with an airline, one can expect to pay a service fee, regardless if the T/A is an online booking engine or a B&M.

For the record, I am not a T/A.

I too was charged the $50.00 fee from BCAA in Canada. I was told the reason for this that many people now enquire through an agent to what is available, then say to the agent after she/he has done all the work in regards to the options, that the people then go and book the reservations, directly with the cruise line. BCAA calls this a consulting fee and it is now charged to every person, even those just looking for general information. I was also told that for non members BCAA charges $75.00 per person.

I think there are high maintenance customers and low maintenance customers. We are very low maintenance. When we are ready to book, we know which cruise on which ship and which stateroom we want. For the travel agent, it's usually one call to the cruiseline. The only time we did cancel we did it to book a much longer, more expensive cruise. So I'm not willing to give anyone a service fee as we are not time wasters.

But I have read accounts on some of the CC boards from people who have repeatedly changed their minds booking and canceling cruises, changing people, adding cabins, deleting cabins, upgrading, downgrading, and calling the travel agent about every piddling little thing that crosses their minds. Then they find another website with a minimally lower price and want to change TAs. I've often thought that I would hate to be a TA who has to deal with this stuff.

If TAs have some of these high maintenance customers who book the lowest cruise prices with a small commission, I can understand why they might add on a service charge. If they are smart, they will waive that fee for a low maintenance customer or a higher priced cruise with a higher commission.

Cruising is not a "one size fits all" situation.

As an agent, I don't charge a fee, however more and more agencies are starting. Mainly for tours and FIT bookings, which take alot of time and research. Generally that fee is put towards the balance once booked. I haven't seen that many agencies charging for cruises though. There are times when I wish I had one:) ...the high maintenance customers are just part of the business. What is frustrating is when you spend alot of time with a client, giving ideas, finding options etc and then they book elsewhere with the information I provided. The price difference could be as little as 50.00. Oh well..part of the business these days too:( .

I really can't see how an agent can charge a fee for looking for a cruise though...should be put towards the final payment if there is a fee.

Re the BCAA charges - we were charged the same $50 plus tax. I do all the research and had a sheet of paper listing exactly what we wanted - all the TA had to do was pick up the phone and make the booking. total time 15 min. Add 10 minutes for final payment and 10 minutes to pick up documents. She would be getting $400 from HAL and $100 from us - rather high payment for not a great outlay in time.

We protested and the boss reduced the charge to half. Not good enough. We went to the manager who reduced the fee to zero plus no future fees providing we use the same TA every time. I told him that charging a fee when they are getting 10% commission on the cruise was like double dipping.

Interesting to note that he said they now give the TAs a wage - does that mean that the commission goes to the company? They also charge $50 or more if you cancel a booking.

By the way, he said that they don't charge the booking fee if you book online. Someone would still have to look after the details and give you the documents so I don't know how that would work.

It was the first time that I notice on my bill from my TA. That she charge me for professional services. I check my past bills and this is the first time I was charge for service.It cost $39.00 . I don`t mind paying because I get good service. Is this normal now and how much are you paying

Have you asked your TA what it is specifically for. I would.... so I would know to expect it in the future. Professional services seems too generic... I would want to know if it was for a flight deviation, or ???? :confused:

Out of charater for me, I have a few treads running on related topics. I am shopping for HAL Alaska in June 2007. I know enough about the ships and intineraries and am the ideal candidate for an online booking engine or a clerk ( and I do not mean this in a derogatory fashion) who can take my directions and book my cruise. I know it all. It's a no brainer, or so I thought.

I am considering a few different cruises, one of which has been booked by another frequent poster on this board. We got to talking, one on one, about cruising Alaska, this June. He/she gave me the name of his/her local B&M TA and on a lark, I called for a quote.

To make a long story reasonable, this T/A's firm charges a $25 transaction fee which becomes a part of the upfront deposit, and the only portion of the deposit that is non - refunadable, shoud I elect to cancel, prior to final payment.

As noted elsewhere, my DD is 18 , which HAL counts as a child fare when sailing as a third pax. Yet online booking engines consider it an adult fare and the variance is off the charts. Yet this B&M agent is quoting it as HAL does, which makes a big difference. It sickened me to have to argue with clerks, that unlike other crusie lines, HAL considers an 18 year old to be a child as it relates to fare, regardless of what the TA considers an 18 year old. I also learned that this agent really knows the ships and differences in cabins. More importantly, this agent lived in Alaska and knows how to manuver, independent of shore excursions. Probably more importantly she is a terrific sales person and knows how to get under my skin and creates a soft obligation. Being in sales, I appreciate the skill and the implication of value-added service.

She has more than earned her weight and I will not hesitate to use her. That she is reasonably competitive with booking engines and provides a value - added service is worth a lot more than the nominal $25 fee.

And at the end of a very long day, I will say, it simply feels good to know there is a credible human on the other end, that appears to really care that this vacation is good for me and my family and even recommends an intinerary that is less costly and will not result it the optimum commission. It really does not get better than this and as I have said, I am in sales and know the game.

As consumers we have choice, perhaps no more so than in choosing how we spend our vacation dollars. I have decades of experience in valuation models and none of it matters without a human to make relevent,the information.

I am not going to give up the name of the TA, as that would be against the board policies. Nor will I disclose the frequent poster who made the recommendation, unless he/she chooses to do so. But I will say, and perhaps appeal to some of you, that a human can and will make a meaningful difference and if it means a service fee, I will not hesitate to pay it and actually appreciate that it is upfront and not burried in the hocus-pocus quote.

I have a wonderful travel agent I found through Cruise Critic (they advertised a long time ago. I am not sure they are still advertising here.) Their prices are slightly higher than the lowest price I can get on CC, although not always. In general, their prices are lower than anyone else who quotes a price. I figure that the price includes that "service fee" since it is higher than the lowest price.

However, it is worth it. I get great service. And I get a reasonable price and that's what matters.

Roberta

That's why it's best to stick with a TA with whom you've established a good relationship with ... many of these online places are chislers with "hidden fees"

Wow..That's pretty strong language! Where are you getting this info? :confused:

Every on-line TA that I've used has their "hidden fees", as you call it, clearly stated on their WEB site..Unfortunately people are very lazy & don't read contracts, WEB site info. & then blame the "chiselers" when the so called "hidden fee" is charged.. Betty

P.S. The on-line TA we use does not charge "hidden fees"

Wow..That's pretty strong language! Where are you getting this info? :confused:

Every on-line TA that I've used has their "hidden fees", as you call it, clearly stated on their WEB site..Unfortunately people are very lazy & don't read contracts, WEB site info. & then blame the "chiselers" when the so called "hidden fee" is charged.. Betty

P.S. The on-line TA we use does not charge "hidden fees"

Hey ... I'm only saying that from my personal experience.

Strong language, or whatever ...

Just my personal view. Take it, or leave it.

Enjoy your weekend

Re the BCAA charges - we were charged the same $50 plus tax. I do all the research and had a sheet of paper listing exactly what we wanted - all the TA had to do was pick up the phone and make the booking. total time 15 min. Add 10 minutes for final payment and 10 minutes to pick up documents. She would be getting $400 from HAL and $100 from us - rather high payment for not a great outlay in time.

We protested and the boss reduced the charge to half. Not good enough. We went to the manager who reduced the fee to zero plus no future fees providing we use the same TA every time. I told him that charging a fee when they are getting 10% commission on the cruise was like double dipping.

Interesting to note that he said they now give the TAs a wage - does that mean that the commission goes to the company? They also charge $50 or more if you cancel a booking.

By the way, he said that they don't charge the booking fee if you book online. Someone would still have to look after the details and give you the documents so I don't know how that would work.

Hi Juanita462:

I found your posting quite interesting. I was unaware that the bricks & mortar TA's received a 10% commission from the cruise line!

Here in Ontario, DW & I paid $60 + GST for "Administration Fees" to our local TA for an upcoming HAL cruise booked through her. As well, she booked our flights & hotel accomodation pre-cruise.

As far as we know, TA fees are the "norm", at least in our community. The thought never occurred to us to object to the payment of this fee!

DW & I must be of the "old school" whereby we arrive at the TA with exact/detailed itinerary plans for our (cruise) vacation, hotels, flights; even down to the exact stateroom on the ship; then allow him/her to make all the booking arrangements on our behalf.

Perhaps this is not the least expensive manner in which to have this done, but they, supposedly, are the "experts" in travel, so, in that regard, we are happy, thus far, to pay the "Administration Fee" & have the TA make all the bookings to our satisfaction.

Betty....this is true, but sometimes you really have to look for them. There are several online agencies I have checked who don't mention anything about the fees in the sections under "Booking a Cruise", but if you go down to the bottom of the page and click on "Terms of Use" or "Policy", or something similar, you find them. Experience has taught me to look for them.

A year or two ago I was researching a cruise, and one website had a price that was far better than any others I was seeing. I was really getting interested until I finally found the section covering the fees. They had fees for everything....cancellation, name changes, address changes....even a fee for getting you a reduced price if your cruise fare dropped before final booking. If they had to call the cruiseline for you, it was going to cost you.

The kicker was that the cancellation charge was a percentage of the cruise fare if the cruise cost was $5,000 or more. We were looking at a longer, more expensive cruise, and if we had had to cancel, the charge could have been close to $500.:eek:

That's why when any discussion comes up about TAs around here, I always caution people to make sure they understand the fees before they book. It's surely not worth risking $100 to save $50....at least not to me.

Pat

Archived