Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

guess yopu are not taking up the offer?

i never went on he either only as a ship visit with lunch which was lovely. lucky STEPHEN CARD 2 whole cruises on her. am hoping he can bring me back something! shame thry could not keep her in view of the ASTORIA questionmark!

dave

Can I ask a question as many of you are solo travellers. There is the new Celebrity Eclipse sailing to and from Southampton later this year and when I went to enquire about itineraries and prices I was told it was a 100% single supplement. Is this what you guys pay? I personally regard this as little short of extortion and told them so. I tend to pay between 30 - 70 % SS, never 100%. I just wondered what you thought. These are big ships to fill in the current economic climate too.

Edited by ships cat

Donald, are you home yet? How was your Hawaiian cruise?

Hi, everyone! I arrived home last night (Sunday). My flight from San Diego was re-scheduled twice, finally departing two hours later. Fortunately I spent some of the time in the airport waiting room in the company of a few fellow passengers from the ship.

As for the cruise, I would have to say that it was my "Cruise from Hell," though overall - mainly because of convivial fellow passengers and friendly staff - it was not as bad as it could have been. There was a "code red" on Day 9, and I was among the 113 passengers who were isolated in their cabins for at least 48 hours. I was thankful that I had an oceanview cabin, as I would have gone stark raving mad in an inside cabin. I was able to finally see Waikiki and Diamond Head from my window during the ship's departure.

I most likely picked up the norovirus from the padded blue covers of the poolside chairs while we were at Lahaina. Normally I use a couple of towels on bare plastic chairs on the upper decks, but with most of the passengers ashore in Lahaina the padded chairs looked inviting. I got sick twelve hours later. My friends reported that all of these these padded covers were removed the next day.

I had no appetite for two days after release from isolation, and couldn't stay for long at the dining room table as the sight of food was nauseating. I gained a minimal amount of weight on this cruise. The nice thing is that I will be getting a credit on a future cruise as compensation for the two days spent in isolation.

The weather was not very good. The sun rarely made its appearance. The ocean was not all that rough though, with just some pitching by the ship. Winds were strong on the eastward leg back home. I had to do bits of "moonwalking" on the upper decks during my strolls.

Would I repeat this cruise, or recommend it? No.

Donald.

Welcome home Donald.

Would I repeat this cruise, or recommend it? No.

That makes the score 2-0 against sailing to Hawaii. I was really hoping that your experience was much better than mine. Do you think that the reason that there are so many code reds is that with no ports until day 5, people are together too much? I believe that with all of this closeness we "cross-pollinate" the viruses. No fun being isolated.

I am surprised that you will get credit on your next cruise. On one occasion I was isolated by the doctor and I got credit on my on board account for that cruise, I was shocked. I think that they do this to encourage us to report to the medical officer when this is a problem.

I am so pleased to hear that your cruise was made better by "convivial fellow passengers and friendly staff."

Fran

There is the new Celebrity Eclipse sailing to and from Southampton later this year and when I went to enquire about itineraries and prices I was told it was a 100% single supplement. Is this what you guys pay? I personally regard this as little short of extortion and told them so.

I was completely spoiled. On the Marco Polo I booked early and was able to get one of the few "single" cabins. When this was true I had no single supplement.

Since then I have paid about 40% and have looked at others but 100% is ridiculous. I may take up a cabin which they budget for two but I only eat for one. When they give "free air" I am paying for more than one too. It bothers me that single prices are not usually published and it makes it difficult to find a good buy.

Fran

As for the cruise, I would have to say that it was my "Cruise from Hell,"

Donald.

Oh, Oh!! I hope they are able to sanitize the ship before we get onboard March 30. Thanks for the warning about the now infamous "blue" pads. Now I plan to keep my hand sanitizer with me at all times.

San Diego has a great webcam aimed at the pier so I was able to watch your cruise as it departed for Hawaii and what I assumed would be a great trip. I guess seeing Diamond Head through the window was like watching Hawaii Five-O on TV. Sorry about that.

Do you think that the reason that there are so many code reds is that with no ports until day 5, people are together too much? I believe that with all of this closeness we "cross-pollinate" the viruses.

Fran, I have excellent hygiene, and while on cruises frequently washed my hands plus used the hand sanitizers. It is simply because a few other passengers would not do so that others get infected. I no longer am amazed by seeing other men (including from the crew!) who exit the men's rooms directly after leaving the toilet booths without washing their hands.

I guess seeing Diamond Head through the window was like watching Hawaii Five-O on TV. Sorry about that.

Conte, at least my cabin was on the correct side to see that view. Yes, do avoid these poolside blue pads. You will get better and much more interesting views from the upper decks anyway.

Donald.

I was completely spoiled. On the Marco Polo I booked early and was able to get one of the few "single" cabins. When this was true I had no single supplement.

Since then I have paid about 40% and have looked at others but 100% is ridiculous. I may take up a cabin which they budget for two but I only eat for one. When they give "free air" I am paying for more than one too. It bothers me that single prices are not usually published and it makes it difficult to find a good buy.

Fran

I have now written to them to express my "disappointment" with their policy. I usually pay around 35 - 60%, once I stumped up 70% for the Greenland cruise, but as you say, we don't eat twice as much, but can often spend as much as some couples with excursions and drinks etc. As you say, it can be difficult to even find a price for one...it's as if we don't exist!

Sorry to hear about the norovirus outbreak. It is so disappointing to have to miss ports and as you say, the enjoyment of the many can be spoiled by so few. I wonder if anyone ever admits to being ill when they fill in the questionaire at embarkation.

Conte, at least my cabin was on the correct side to see that view. Yes, do avoid these poolside blue pads. You will get better and much more interesting views from the upper decks anyway. Donald.

Donald, so sorry to hear that you were caught up in a code red. I read with dismay the reports of you and Fran about your Hawaiian cruises. What a bust of a cruise "vacation." About ships cat's comment regarding people admitting infections or diseases when they board - has anyone ever heard of a person being left on the pier for being honest about an active illness at the time of embarkation? For a long time, the infected passengers pointed at the crew as being the source of the norovirus but, as we all know, we walk the virus up the gangway.

I usually pay around 35 - 60%, once I stumped up 70% for the Greenland cruise, but as you say, we don't eat twice as much, but can often spend as much as some couples with excursions and drinks etc. As you say, it can be difficult to even find a price for one...it's as if we don't exist!

I started out in the '70s paying a small supplement of about 25% but, over the years, it has crept up to 100% on Oceania. The painful lesson I learned years ago is that a corporate cruise office is not going to rent out a cabin to one person and let them pay the single rate when they can charge the usual double per-person rate and make money on fully-booked cruises. In the past, Oceania and Saga Cruises have sold out most of their cruises so why would they give up financial numbers to accommodate single passengers? It's a business that we consider a vacation but the cruise lines are going to make their $$$$ somehow.

At least my Antarctica cruise will be a supplement of "only" 50% altho' the entire voyage is beastly expensive. I agree about being treated as if we solos have no value to the corporate home office. I've been treated like a ghost, a shadow many times, not only by the booking office but by cruising couples who have no consideration for me standing there, waiting to walk down the gangway or make room on a tender or at the deck rail.

It is what it is and has been that way for decades. Unfair? You bet. But I prefer to put away my frustration after booking a cruise and look forward to an enjoyable vacation upon the seas. However, when a high-value vacation becomes a "Hawaii" situation as played out for Donald and Fran, the letdown would be profound.

Ruby

Fran, I have excellent hygiene, and while on cruises frequently washed my hands plus used the hand sanitizers. It is simply because a few other passengers would not do so that others get infected. I no longer am amazed by seeing other men (including from the crew!) who exit the men's rooms directly after leaving the toilet booths without washing their hands.

I too was shocked to see these habits in others. What I was referring to is that person A has stomach virus while person B has a bacterial infection. They both don't practice good hygiene and touch the same things. Then a clean person like yourself innocently touches the same thing and gets both problems at once.

Code red seems so prevalent now on the ships. Two out of two cruises I took this winter had code reds.

Fran

Welcome home Donald.

That makes the score 2-0 against sailing to Hawaii. I was really hoping that your experience was much better than mine. Do you think that the reason that there are so many code reds is that with no ports until day 5, people are together too much? I believe that with all of this closeness we "cross-pollinate" the viruses. No fun being isolated.

Fran

Sickness

Sorry to hear of your illness on the Hawaiian cruises, Donald and Fran.

My husband was sick for several days on our Honolulu to Sydney cruise.

However, I don't think the reason is because of no ports of call, as our TA had 5 sea days and I didn't notice any sick people. However, MSC Lirica has one of the highest cleanliness records, I believe.

We avoided the buffets, as I did see a passenger cough all over the food, not once, but twice. Needless to say, I put my plate down and returned to eating in the dining room.

Surcharges for Singles

Do you think with the downturn in the economy, the cruise lines might start selling singles at single rates to fill the ships?

I know I received a late offer to Antarctica at single rate last year. However, I don't remember the details, because my daughter had already booked to share with someone. I shared also, when I was young and travelling around the world, but wouldn't want to do it now. :)

How does it work with the 2 for the price of 1 offers? Can you have 1 for 1 instead, or is that off limits as well?

Edited by MMDown Under

I know I received a late offer to Antarctica at single rate last year. However, I don't remember the details, because my daughter had already booked to share with someone. I shared also, when I was young and travelling around the world, but wouldn't want to do it now. :)

I believe that on some of the Antarctic sailings there is a reduced or no single supplement because of the limits imposed by the Antarctic Treaty. One person in a cabin is OK for them as they can not allow more than 100 passengers to land at any time.

By allowing singles to sail alone without penalty on the larger ships (not behemoths) they have work and tips for the entire crew.

This does not seem to affect any other itineraries.

Fran

Fortunately I have never been treated as the invisible person whilst on board. I guess I have been spoilt by the Single Supplements here in the UK. I have never paid more than 70% and would not do so,although having said that, Cunard charge 75% and I hope to book on them next year.

Celebrity have not yet replied to my comments. The new P&O behemoth Azura is being built with single cabins, so someone is listening though, even if it is not a ship you wish to sail on!

Notice that the Saga Rose Captain's blog is has at last been updated; but I think Saga are having a bad week with computers. They have just sent me three letters in three separate envelopes telling me that the on board lecturers have changed, on a cruise two weeks before the one I'm booked on!!!

Notice that the Saga Rose Captain's blog is has at last been updated; but I think Saga are having a bad week with computers. They have just sent me three letters in three separate envelopes telling me that the on board lecturers have changed, on a cruise two weeks before the one I'm booked on!!!

Saga Cruises is such a hoot for reasons such as the above note. Instead of the mean-spirited, hyper-businesslike attitude of the American mass-market cruise lines where there seems to be constant covert battles between passengers and the rigid rules of the corporate home office, Saga Cruises is much more intimate, much more humanistic. Mistakes are minor and quickly fixed with apologies, problems onboard are fixed instanter, sometimes the captains' online blogs are current, sometimes not, sometimes Saga's website works, sometimes not, and yet the dedication to quality of service by Saga Cruises shines through.

In discussions with Saga about booking a cabin on the Greenland cruise, I wanted a specific large inside cabin but the res agent said that there were noise complaints on the cabin which made me back off. After a more detailed discussion about the type of noise - keening, groaning, thumping, vibration - the agent called to say that research showed that the noise was a whooshing sound from the HVAC in the ceiling. I immediately booked the cabin and immensely enjoyed that cabin with its soothing "white noise" effect.

Ruby

Ruby, Please tell me again, when is your Prinsendam cruise? I believe that it should be soon. I really look forward to hearing about it.

Is anyone else sailing soon? I am having second thoughts about my Southeast Asia cruise. I see prices coming down and could take a 30 day on a small princess ship for half of the price of my 41 day. I believe that all of us have had our finances compromised by the present financial crisis and this impinges on our cruises. Does anyone feel differently?

Fran

Fran, my next cruise is April 24, a San Diego-Mexico-Vancouver repositioning on Ryndam. That cruise seems to have been completely sold out. My cruise agent told me when I picked up my documents that he had also booked four other clients on that cruise. There is an unusual preponderance of Canadians on the roll call.

The financial meltdown has indeed influenced me to put an immediate freeze on future cruise bookings. I have nothing planned beyond my next three booked cruises, but I never say "never."

Good news for me - Celebrity is keeping Mercury for another year. She will be making her usual round-trip Alaska cruises in Summer 2010. No doubt I will be on one or two of these!

Donald.

Lucky you, Donald. Living in a port city is wonderful. No planes or trains or even parking and you are ready to board. Unfortunately Toronto has limited sailings.

Good news for me - Celebrity is keeping Mercury for another year

This should keep you happy for a year at least. I know what it feels like to say "good-bye". Enjoy what time you have with it.

Fran