Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Snowbound? LOL! It's continuing to be unseasonably warm here in Vancouver, with high temperatures breaking the records on a few days. I don't even wear my heavy coat and gloves when going outdoors, just a light jacket.

No idea what will happen during the Winter Olympics here ... it should be re-named the Spring Olympics! This picture of the venue for the Olympics snowboarding competition was in this morning's newspaper. This is in the mountains directly north of the city. There will be more snow, though, around Whistler where the skiing and other outdoor competitions will be held.

Donald.

Cypress.jpg.f502e29ebe7b7c12f629d581af4e2dff.jpg

I heard Michael Phelps is on his way to Vancouver for a new Olympic event.....down hill swimming.

Yes, and Phelps will love browsing a local "weed" shop, as there should be a few "bongers" for him to inspect (and perhaps sample!). I think that a bonger is what Phelps was caught with in that (in)famous photograph.

Donald.

Is everyone snowbound?

This thread has been awfully quiet.

I have been tennis bound, Michael.

I've just returned from Melbourne, where I enjoyed the Australian Tennis Open, a full day of Australia Day celebrations, and had my theatre fix (Drowsy Chaperone). Home to recover. :)

I have been tennis bound, Michael.

I've just returned from Melbourne, where I enjoyed the Australian Tennis Open, a full day of Australia Day celebrations, and had my theatre fix (Drowsy Chaperone). Home to recover. :)

But the men's final is yet to come !! :D

But the men's final is yet to come !! :D

I know and I'm hoping Murray is going to win his first Grand Slam this year. I heard that someone played the bagpipes outside during the last match he played. I'll be glued to the TV until the tennis is finished.

Each year I go to the tennis the first week until Monday, when play on the Hisense Arena (second covered arena) finishes.

When my daughter lived in London, I used to go to Queens and Wimbledon. Once we got ballot centre court tickets to Wimbledon (Hewitt vs Henman).

Once we got ballot centre court tickets to Wimbledon (Hewitt vs Henman).

Wow - lucky you, although watching Henman was VERY bad for my nerves - too erratic. Back in the 1970s we used to get all the top players at a tournament in Bristol. I have all their autographs - Stan Smith, Billy Jean King, Rod Laver, John Newcombe etc.

Wow - lucky you, although watching Henman was VERY bad for my nerves - too erratic. Back in the 1970s we used to get all the top players at a tournament in Bristol. I have all their autographs - Stan Smith, Billy Jean King, Rod Laver, John Newcombe etc.

Wow. It must have been wonderful watching all those legends.

I always enjoyed watching Henman playing, as he is such a beautiful player. However, I agree it was nerve wracking watching him, as you felt he wouldn't win the Grand Slams, being burdened by enormous British expectations.

That is why it would be wonderful if Murray won, as he seems a cooler customer.

Yesterday I received my copy of a cruise magazine which is published by the cruise company to which my cruise agent belongs (I don't think that I am allowed to say their names here). I was taken aback by the picture of the 4,200-passenger Norwegian Epic (see thumbnail). From the gracefully smooth lines of Titanic nearly 100 years ago to this monstrosity is unbelievable! The topmost two decks of suites looks as if these were hastily plunked on as a last-minute addition. The ship looks top-heavy and just about ready to topple over.

What's in the future? 30-deck apartment barges? :eek:

I remember seeing the cover of a science magazine printed during the 1910s which had a drawing of New York City as envisaged fifty years later ... and it included four-stack ocean liners. LOL!!!

Donald.

zEpic.jpg.1673ee9ee3a34b868a43a55432cac019.jpg

I think Epic is one of the uglier ships of the "apartment barge" design.

I agree - hideous. Even RCCI Oasis still looks ship-shaped. I believe those top layers are duplex and studio apartments with their own "garden" court. Why??? comes to mind!

I was taken aback by the picture of the 4,200-passenger Norwegian Epic (see thumbnail). From the gracefully smooth lines of Titanic nearly 100 years ago to this monstrosity is unbelievable! The topmost two decks of suites looks as if these were hastily plunked on as a last-minute addition. The ship looks top-heavy and just about ready to topple over. Donald.

I 'bout clutched my chest and fell backward when I saw your photo. Epic looks like a floozy - odd curves and angles covered with paint and a bow section that looks like they stole the blueprints from QM2 and got it all wrong. Donald's comment about it being a monstrosity are spot on. Which bodes poorly for the future of "ocean liners" in the broader sense of the word.

Fran - you are so quiet. We all hope that you are well and in good spirits.

Michael - what is the name of Marina's twin or sister ship?

Ruby

how are doing ruby? booked on 1st cruise of OCEAN COUNTESS for CRUISE AND MARITIME. wonder what changes they are since cunard and royal olympic? wonder where she is being refurbished?

also booked on the ECLIPSE in november. my 1st CELEBRITY CRUISE

dave

Snowbound? LOL! It's continuing to be unseasonably warm here in Vancouver, with high temperatures breaking the records on a few days. I don't even wear my heavy coat and gloves when going outdoors, just a light jacket.

No idea what will happen during the Winter Olympics here ... it should be re-named the Spring Olympics! This picture of the venue for the Olympics snowboarding competition was in this morning's newspaper. This is in the mountains directly north of the city. There will be more snow, though, around Whistler where the skiing and other outdoor competitions will be held.

Donald.

Have been thinking of you and the Winter Olympics, as I watch them carting snow in trucks on TV news.

Looked like there was plenty of snow on the actual mountain, so hoping it snows.

not at all like their other ships i know and not great looking especially at the front not she looks nice inside. i shall report back after my 2 cruise cruises on her.

also doing OCEAN COUNTESS for cruise and maritime a much more classic ship on her 1st cruise for them. TILBURY-AMSTERDAM-HULL in april.

dave

how are doing ruby? booked on 1st cruise of OCEAN COUNTESS for CRUISE AND MARITIME. wonder what changes they are since cunard and royal olympic? wonder where she is being refurbished?

also booked on the ECLIPSE in november. my 1st CELEBRITY CRUISE

dave

Dave - I'm lost. Having a bit of bother following your shorthand. What is the reference about "Cruise and Maritime?" Sounds like you're ready to rock 'n roll on x-Chandris. Or is that X Eclipse?

Donald - We have 5" of snow at noon today! We're all atwitter and I don't mean an e-note. On the assumption that those snowboarders in the Olympics will have enuf material to perform on, how is this, the day before the Big Game, in your personal schedule? Are you able to use your metro, walk around your neighborhood, enjoy daily life without dealing with burly Bulgarians in winter gear?

Ruby

Still freezing here too, although only snow showers- not laying thank goodness. However, the east of the country has had a goodly amount again. Roll on the spring cruising season...pleeese.

I am very surprised to hear you have snow though Ruby. I always thought Texas was hot and sunny all year round, although now I realise that was a silly thought.

As for Dave's cruises - I think he means Celebrity Eclipse, which is one of the new ships sailing from Southampton this year.

My duaghter, down in Woking Surrey, has complained about this winter - I know she misses California.

She'll be relocating to Hong Kong in April, so then can start complaining about the typhoons!

Uhmmmm - on reflection I think I prefer the cold to the humidity! But I think you get used to things. It will certainly be an exciting move.

They were in Hong Kong in the 90's, and first grand-daughter was born there, shortly before the turnover.

After Hong Kong, they were in Paris for 5 years (two grandsons born there), then Istanbul for a couple of years, and Woking Surrey the past five years.