Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

my mum who had just had her 86th birthday sadly passed away last week. my faMILy are no help at all and had to orgaNIse the funeral on my own for this thursday. a verty sad time for me i only saw here the day before she died!! she had this awful cough and got pneumonia just like my dad. asny idea about putting ashes at sea(are there any rules forb this do you know?)

dave

I'm sorry for your loss Dave. I believe there are indeed regulations about spreading ashes at sea, not least becuase they could blow back into the ship and onto balconies etc if the wind is in the wrong direction. I would suggest you contact the cruise line of your choice and ask what the situation is. I am sure it is a frequent request for them.

Condolences David, on your loss.

Reference scattering of ashes at sea, there have been several threads recently on the Holland American Lines forum of Cruise Critic. Apparently HAL does allow it, and works with families to make the arrangements.

In the distant past (1970), P&O (UK) also worked with families re committal at sea. We were on Oriana when there was a committal of a body at sea, on a Mexican Riviera cruise round trip from San Francisco.

Edited by Druke I

My condolences to you on the loss of your mother and that your family is not rallying around to help with her final journey.

On Constellation, I scattered my father's ashes off the coast of Malaga in 2003 - his father was from Spain. The funeral home in Fort Worth TX gave me a ziploc bag containing some of his ashes and an official certificate allowing me to transport them.

As the ship moved slowly out of port, two friends, most kindly dressed in appropriate attire, met me on the topmost deck. As we passed the breakwater, I poured out the ashes into my palm, then (allowing for the wind gusts) gently threw them into the air as twilight turned into darkness.

To this day, I am glad I did that small ceremony and, at the time, I had no idea what the legalities were for same and frankly didn't care. When I got home, I did some research and learned that scattering of ashes at sea is perfectly acceptable. That small personal gesture still resonates with me as the proper thing to do.

Ruby

for all your thoughts any idea where to look for posts about the ashes?,going on OCEAN COUNTESS in 2 weeks TILBURY-AMSTERDAM wonder if they would be okm withit

dave

Try here DAve.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1164412&highlight=ashes

Happy Easter everyone. The weather here is horiible - very wet and windy, so not doing much. I suppose I should be trying on the evening dresses - but am too frightened to yet - I still have three weeks of dieting to go!! :mad:

Do any of our shipdaft friends know the whereabouts of this wonderful ship? She seemed to be "on station" around the Gibraltar area for awhile. Has she moved to another location or is she still doing a time step in place?

Ruby

As of early morning April 6 she is positioned northeast of Las Palmas, Canary Islands having ventured forth out of the Med into the Atlantic. What does this mean? At least she hasn't moved toward Suez and points east. I have not found any more postings speculating about her future but she did have an anchor replaced over the winter indicating that she is being maintained, at least for now.

Peter Knego reports on Maritime Matters that Saga Rose is headed to Cape Town to be used as an accomodation ship for the World Cup Games. There had been speculation earlier that QE2 was to fulfill this role but that deal apparently fell through. No word yet as to what will happen to Saga Rose after Cape Town.

Peter Knego reports on Maritime Matters that Saga Rose is headed to Cape Town to be used as an accommodation ship for the World Cup Games. There had been speculation earlier that QE2 was to fulfill this role but that deal apparently fell through. No word yet as to what will happen to Saga Rose after Cape Town.

Thanks for this info. I wondered if the ship was stripped of all things Saga for souvenirs while the bare bones of the cabins were left. The Beeb says that there are broader problems for the World Cup in South Africa, like power generation, but that's another story.

I read a well-written, thoughtful review of Prinsendam's 2010 Grand World Tour and the gentle writer mentioned broadspread rust visible around the ship. It would seem that HAL has not committed to keeping her shipshape and Bristol fashion. I've come to accept that my smaller ships are sailing gentle into that good night and that my voyage experiences are now history. Let the adrenalin-and-noise crowd enjoy their barges. [heavy sigh] I wonder if the Boomers now ondeck will enjoy those types of action-and-energy entertainments.

Does anyone keep up with the Travelers Century Club? It's a list of 320 countries and places; if one has been to 100 places on their list, one can join The Club. For years I was stuck on the number of 83 and have now gotten to 93. I seriously doubt that I'll ever get to the century mark. I enjoy ticking off the list altho' there are some oddities. Seven places to be counted in Antarctica and one (Svalbard) in North Pole territory. The enormous country of India is one tick altho' Tasmania and Hong Kong get their own ticks. For fun, check it out at Travelers Century Club on the Web.

Ruby

That sounds very much like a list that is also published in ITN (International Travel News), a newsprint monthly out of Sacramento CA.

ITN's list also has a certificate that is awarded when one reaches a stated goal.

Does anyone keep up with the Travelers Century Club? It's a list of 320 countries and places; if one has been to 100 places on their list, one can join The Club. For years I was stuck on the number of 83 and have now gotten to 93. I seriously doubt that I'll ever get to the century mark. I enjoy ticking off the list altho' there are some oddities. Seven places to be counted in Antarctica and one (Svalbard) in North Pole territory. The enormous country of India is one tick altho' Tasmania and Hong Kong get their own ticks. For fun, check it out at Travelers Century Club on the Web.

Ruby

Ruby, thanks for the tip on this site. I'm up to 87. Oh oh. Time for a world cruise to make it over the top!

Ruby

Wow Ruby - you are so close to 100! Are there another 7 places which you haven't visited that you'd really like to visit?

Conte Di Savoia - you are not far behind.

I'm not a member of the Travelers Century Club, but I doubt that I would qualify. I don't like air travel, so am more or less stuck in the Western Hemisphere.

On another matter, Celebrity announced that next year Mercury will be doing the Mediterranean itineraries, and that she will be replaced on the Alaska roundtrips by Century. I suppose that in Summer 2011 I will be using Century as my new home-away-from-home. I will miss Mercury.

Donald.

I'm not a member of the Travelers Century Club, but I doubt that I would qualify. I don't like air travel, so am more or less stuck in the Western Hemisphere.

On another matter, Celebrity announced that next year Mercury will be doing the Mediterranean itineraries, and that she will be replaced on the Alaska roundtrips by Century. I suppose that in Summer 2011 I will be using Century as my new home-away-from-home. I will miss Mercury.

Donald.

Donald,

Did you know that Century is cruising Down Under late 2011/2012?

There is a lot of speculation (rumor) that Mercury will not be coming back after its next European deployment - but that she will be sun off to TUI.

There have been a couple of threads about it over on the Celebrity forums.

There is a lot of speculation (rumor) that Mercury will not be coming back after its next European deployment - but that she will be sun off to TUI.

There have been a couple of threads about it over on the Celebrity forums.

Yes, I have already suspected that Mercury will be shifted off to TUI (which is almost like PTUI which we see in comics, for spitting).

Donald.

thanks for the messages of support upon my passsed of my mum 2 weeks ago i am slowly coming to terms with it. still have not heard back from hal about scattering the ashe

s.a wek today i am on OCEAN COUNTESS 2 nt cruise to amsterdam. looking forward to this 1st cruise under cruising and maritime. she was of course a cunard ship as CUNARD COUNTESS many years ago. looking forward to getting awaty and seeing the tulips of amsterdam.

dave

She was of course a cunard ship as CUNARD COUNTESS many years ago. looking forward to getting awaty and seeing the tulips of amsterdam. dave

I sailed on Cunard Countess in 1988. My father hosted a family reunion cruise on this ship which sailed around the eastern Caribbean. The intriguing Purser's Lounge was painted completely in royal blue - ceiling, carpet, walls, chairs. It was like walking into an undersea adventure - quite the giggle.

Enjoy your cruise and the bloomin' flowers in The Netherlands.

Ruby