Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Marion & Berry, thanks for the wishes. Being a seasoned cruiser, I am quite independent. It is simply that friends seem to prefer to tag along with me rather than be independent themselves. I will discuss this in a nice way when I hand over the cruise documents to him on the 24th.

Ruby, I do hope to encounter mists in the corridor or breaths on my shoulder during a Haunted House tour. That would be thrilling, but at least there is safety in numbers.

I am on the early morning flight tomorrow, and will be back home on Sunday the 22nd.

Donald.

Thanks Marion. I shall certainly do my best!

STOP PRESS: I finally got a phone call this morning that I have been hoping and longing for.

P&O have chosen my co-author and myself to write their 175th anniversary book !! I think I have some very hard work (but very enjoyable work) ahead when I get back !!

P&O have chosen my co-author and myself to write their 175th anniversary book !! I think I have some very hard work (but very enjoyable work) ahead when I get back !!

Way to go, Sharon!!! That's terrific and truly an honour to be asked to do so by P&O. I expect that P&O will make their archives, as well as ships, available to you for research. What a treasure trove that would be!

Donald.

Way to go, Sharon!!! That's terrific and truly an honour to be asked to do so by P&O. I expect that P&O will make their archives, as well as ships, available to you for research. What a treasure trove that would be!

Donald.

It is great and we are thrilled. Thanks Donald. It's going to be a very tight deadline - but this kind of research doesn't really feel like work !

Sharon, when is the deadline for the book? It seems that P&O was incorporated in 1840, therefore the 175th Anniversary would be in 2015.

Donald

Edited by Host Sharon
error - hit edit instead of quote - sorry !

Sharon, when is the deadline for the book? It seems that P&O was incorporated in 1840, therefore the 175th Anniversary would be in 2015.

Donald

The company was founded in 1837, three years before the Royal Charter Donald, so the anniversary year is 2012 - our deadline is in four months !!!!![/

with reference to SEA LINES i am an OLS member anbd get the lovely informative magazine, and go to their meetings when i can. it is on tuesday on one of cunard's ships which should be good. just did VISION OF THE SEAS cruise SOTON to AMSTERDAM and COPENHAGEN. a nice cruise i thought the food a bit basic. my next is BOUDICCA to the BALTIC in OCTOBER is it late in season to go to ST PETERSBERG?

dave

I loved every minute of the Royal Wedding, Ruby. As I'm a Royalist, I immediately starting thinking how I could arrange a visit to London next year for the Queen's Anniversary.

We enjoyed a family wedding the next day, in Sydney, so I was in wedding heaven!

We have just returned from touring, before and after the wedding - Katoomba (Blue Mountains), Scone Horse Festival, Barrington Tops, and Dorrigo National Park - beautiful regions of New South Wales.

When you and Barry tour the regions of Katoomba et al., are you in a car and using camping gear or do you enjoy a nice soft bed at a hotel or B&B?

Do Aussies wear fascinators? I checked out these beautiful creations and wish they were available here in the States. The "hats" have such a sense of whimsy and are the perfect topper for anyone playing dress-up. As far as packing one for a cruise - uggghhh!

Ruby

When you and Barry tour the regions of Katoomba et al., are you in a car and using camping gear or do you enjoy a nice soft bed at a hotel or B&B?

Do Aussies wear fascinators? I checked out these beautiful creations and wish they were available here in the States. The "hats" have such a sense of whimsy and are the perfect topper for anyone playing dress-up. As far as packing one for a cruise - uggghhh!

Ruby

Yes, we drove, Ruby. We enjoyed 3 night's luxury in a four poster bed, with spa bath, at an excellent B&B in Katoomba.

http://www.lurlinehouse.com.au/

However, we did rough it on a day walk through slush, on a mountain trail.

Yes, many Australians wear fascinators, especially to the races and weddings.

Ruby

I just received a brochure from SilverSea with new itineraries for the Shadow as a result of the earthquake in Japan. I see that your cruise from Seward will now terminate in Incheon, Korea, by-passing Japan entirely. This must be a great disappointment to you. Do you still intend to take the trip? What about your independent airline arrangements? I remember that you had booked the last Business seat with your mileage.

SilverSea has also added trips down the coast of China to Hong Kong, similar to what we had done with them back in 1995 (great trip!) as well as a cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore stopping in Viet Nam and Thailand. There is also a 14 day cruise through Indonesia....sounds like alot of Indonesia.

Ruby I just received a brochure from SilverSea with new itineraries for the Shadow as a result of the earthquake in Japan. I see that your cruise from Seward will now terminate in Incheon, Korea, by-passing Japan entirely. This must be a great disappointment to you. Do you still intend to take the trip? What about your independent airline arrangements? I remember that you had booked the last Business seat with your mileage.

SilverSea has also added trips down the coast of China to Hong Kong, similar to what we had done with them back in 1995 (great trip!) as well as a cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore stopping in Viet Nam and Thailand. There is also a 14 day cruise through Indonesia....sounds like alot of Indonesia.

Yes, this cruise has turned topsy-turvy. We were notified some weeks ago about the itinerary change by email from the cruise line. I thought about canceling the cruise but then realized that I could make a tick on my lifetime traveler's list for South Korea. I will fly from Incheon to Tokyo Narita, and nonstop home on the original airline booking made with FF miles. I had looked forward to a one-day tour of Tokyo by Silversea then a transfer to Narita Airport, but obviously I will see only the airport. C'est la vie.

We have 12 sea days out of the 21-day itinerary which suits my mood. I hadn't figured out which shorex to take in Kushiro and Hakodate Japan, but the tsunami wiped out Kushiro and no ports in Japan can handle the power demands of a pretty white cruise ship bellying up to their docks. It could be said that Japan is closed to cruise tourism for the foreseeable future.

I have pondered if Silver Shadow will avoid an intake of sea water for desalinization along the northeastern coast of Japan. Should be interesting. Do you know if those ships have desalinization plants onboard or do they take up water in ports?

Silversea must have pax bailing out of this particular repo. I have received a generous 65% discount, an OBC of $700, and my Incheon to Tokyo flight has been paid for. Perhaps the cruise ship company will consist of me, the cruise staff, and a few hardy hangers-on. The Seoul-to-Anchorage cruise that has left Incheon this week has a total of 100 pax onboard. Oh my!

I'm one of those "lemonade" people and I look forward to living in the lap of luxury for 3 weeks. But I am unalterably sad about the loss of life and economy for the citizens of Japan.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Hi to all! I am back home from the Pacific Northwest cruise. I'll tell more about it after I've settled down, but I do want to give an update about the Baked Alaska event ... this time, while there was the usual procession of head waiters and assistant waiters down the grand staircase and around the dining room amidst the waving sea of napkins, they no longer carried aloft the Baked Alaska. What an interesting development! This I like. :)

my next is BOUDICCA to the BALTIC in OCTOBER is it late in season to go to ST PETERSBERG?

dave

Dave, have you found out about the October weather in St. Petersburg? It seems that it has year-round high humidity and waterproof clothing is essential. St. Petersburg is not cold by Russian standards.

Donald.

Hi to all! I am back home from the Pacific Northwest cruise. I'll tell more about it after I've settled down, but I do want to give an update about the Baked Alaska event ... this time, while there was the usual procession of head waiters and assistant waiters down the grand staircase and around the dining room amidst the waving sea of napkins, they no longer carried aloft the Baked Alaska. What an interesting development! This I like. Donald.

So - a newbie is on this cruise and experiences the Baked Alaska parade with no cake? Just a bunch of crew waving napkins? Or is the dessert a "hide the football" kinda celebration? We eagerly await your report.

Sharon - are you home yet? Are you furiously scribbling away on your book assignment? Exciting but tense times, I would imagine.

Ruby

Ruby, my mistake, today I looked at the photographs which I took and noticed that each head waiter held a Baked Alaska at waist level while their assistant waved white napkins aloft. The reason that I never noticed these cakes were because they did not use sparklers, in addition to the fact that I was busy using my camera. Oops! :D

Donald.

This is the first time that I sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. It was the highlight of the entire cruise.

xxDSC03465.jpg

We have left the pier and are headed towards Golden Gate Bridge, visible in the far distance, with dark, ominous, threatening clouds over the Pacific Ocean.

XXDSC03474.jpg

Approaching the bridge. There is a patch of fog across the middle of the span.

xxDSC03473.jpg

Halfway underneath the bridge ... I like the juxtaposition of two man-made objects in this picture. The patch of fog obscures the ship's funnel.

Donald.

Hi everyone - just back today from Balmoral. I will post a review in due course, but I have mixed feelings about Fred Olsen. I thought I would like the traditional cruising style and smaller ship - which I did, but it somehow lacked atmosphere. This may have been the very high number of newbie cruisers of course - attracted by the very good itinerary. Our three days in St Petersburg were all scorching hot and sunny but our return was delayed by five hours lost due to Force 8 headwinds so I am very tired, not helped by the feast the Russian mosqitoes had of me !!

PS: On our return up the Solent we passed by the USS Ronald Reagan - quite a sight !!

PPS: We had a proper Baked Alaska parade - held aloft with sparklers, but none of the US waving napkin bit !! :)

Edited by Host Sharon

Welcome back, Sharon! Sorry to hear that you have mixed feelings about Fred Olsen. But at least you have had that experience.

Here are a couple of other photographs from my cruise:

xxDSC03487.jpg

Astoria, Oregon, on a beautiful sunny day! The port is famous for its log industry, as is obvious in this scene across from where the ship docked.

xxDSC03499.jpg

The Baked Alaska parade, with the cakes and waving napkins. My dining room table was directly in front of the grand staircase, giving a front-seat view of the event.

Donald.

This is the first time that I sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. It was the highlight of the entire cruise. Donald.

The first time I sailed under Lion's Gate Bridge in Vancouver was an exciting event. Many of the passengers on Royal Viking stood out on the sport deck and cheered and saluted the bridge on our way to Alaska. We all loved Vancouver and her citizens.

Hi everyone - just back today from Balmoral. I will post a review in due course, but I have mixed feelings about Fred Olsen. I thought I would like the traditional cruising style and smaller ship - which I did, but it somehow lacked atmosphere.

I sailed the Saga Sisters in 2005 and 2007 (hence the title of this thread). When I booked Saga, I didn't even know how to pronouce the name. When I embarked, I began to hear Brits comparing Fred. Olsen to Saga with positive comments on the Saga side. I thought Fred. Olsen was a supermarket chain until the conversations revealed otherwise.

Without exception, the Saga pax much preferred the Saga Sisters. When I asked why, they said the level of service and atmosphere was preferable to Fred. Olsen, that the original Fred had been replaced by his son who couldn't care less about passenger input, on and on. I made a mental note never to book a cruise on Fred. Olsen. And that pesky corporate full-stop after Fred's name was and is quite irritating. So I lucked out by starting with Saga Cruises.

I heard rumours that the Kiel Canal's water levels were a bit low. What was your impression?

Ruby

Without exception, the Saga pax much preferred the Saga Sisters. When I asked why, they said the level of service and atmosphere was preferable to Fred. Olsen, that the original Fred had been replaced by his son who couldn't care less about passenger input, on and on. I made a mental note never to book a cruise on Fred. Olsen. And that pesky corporate full-stop after Fred's name was and is quite irritating. So I lucked out by starting with Saga Cruises.

I heard rumours that the Kiel Canal's water levels were a bit low. What was your impression?

Ruby

I would say the levels of service were excellent Ruby - that wasn't the problem at all. It was perhaps the atmosphere - it's something I still can't quite pin down. I have posted a very long review on another site, but will post it here ASAP.

The Kiel Canal levels were fine as the snows have been so heavy this winter the thaw brought levels up. In fact in Russia, there is still a huge amount of standing water from the thaw, that the ground can't absorb - just wish someone had warned me about the mosquitos as, aside from bringing back a cough and sore throat, I am itching like mad from some 13 festering bites ! St Petersburg has, apparently, around 40 warm and sunny days a year - and we got three of them though - so we saw the golden glittering domes of the Peterhof and Catherine Palace against a flawless deep blue sky .

Thanks for your most informative review, and photos, Sharon. As you know I was interested in your comments on Balmoral, as well as the region you visited.

Would you sail on Balmoral again, if the itinerary was unique?

Thanks for your most informative review, and photos, Sharon. As you know I was interested in your comments on Balmoral, as well as the region you visited.

Would you sail on Balmoral again, if the itinerary was unique?

If the price and itinerary were right Marion, then yes. The ship was extremely stable even in the force 8 on the way home. I am thinking it was the decor in the bars and restrictive meal times that I liked the least maybe?

Sharon, I enjoyed reading your cruise review. I agree that it might have been the bar decor and restrictive meal times that were off-putting to the overall cruise experience.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from the maitre d' on Century that for next week he has assigned me and my friend to Table 557, the same one that I had two weeks ago. As seen from my photograph of the Baked Alaska event, this table is directly in front of the grand staircase, and should impress my friend. It is great to cultivate cordial relationships with the staff.

Donald.