Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Glad Ruby is having a good time. I just discovered Prisendam will be sailing past my home on 13th July on a round Britain cruise so I will try and see her sail out. Unfortunately she is arriving at 2pm, so will be at work then.

I am waitlisted on a 35 day return cruise in July on Maasdam from Boston to Rotterdam, via the Northern Route (Canada, Greenland, Iceland, etc).

I've also been looking at a 28 day Prinsendam cruise in August, which cruises from Greenwich, around Britain, to Rome, which might also sail past your house ships cat.

Both these cruises have interesting itineraries, plus both ships seem popular.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Conte, thanks for providing an update about Ruby and how much she is enjoying herself. It will be interesting to see if Ruby will regard [I]Prinsendam a[/I]s "her" ship, in the same way that I consider [I]Mercury [/I]to be "my" ship.

Donald.

[quote name='Kapricorn']Conte, thanks for providing an update about Ruby and how much she is enjoying herself. It will be interesting to see if Ruby will regard [I]Prinsendam a[/I]s "her" ship, in the same way that I consider [I]Mercury [/I]to be "my" ship.

Donald.[/quote]

Do you think Prinsendam might take over from the Saga ships, as Ruby's ship? She certainly sounds like she is impressed.

Why is Mercury your favourite ship? I notice you've cruised on her many times, with cruises yet to come.

I'm only now realising the importance of the actual ship, as I've been blinded by unique itineraries in the past. I'm trying to link the two together for, hopefully, the optimum outcome.

We took the Northern route, 8-98, on the late great Royal Princess (now P&O's Artemis), and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our trip started in Dover, and ended in New York City, a 13 night crossing.

At that time, not too many people had been to both Iceland and Greenland - I guess we were "ahead of the curve".

We did go over Titanic's resting spot, but there was no special note made of that fact. The then new movie Titanic was allegedly shown to the crew, but the Cruise Director declined to show it to the passengers. That struck me as incongruous.

We encountered very heavy fog just before Newfoundland - they were blowing the ship's whistle (horn) every 30 seconds. Love that blast!

[quote name='MMDown Under']
Why is Mercury your favourite ship? I notice you've cruised on her many times, with cruises yet to come.
[/quote]

Why is [I]Mercury [/I]my favourite ship? She is just the right size for me, and I am impressed with her professional but friendly staff who always welcome me back on each cruise, addressing me by name and even remembering my drink preferences. [I]Mercury[/I] simply feels like home to me.

All I care about the itineraries is that I cruise Alaska during summer and in warm climes during winter. Sometimes I don't disembark at all during an entire cruise, as the ship is the destination itself. After all, if I've docked at Puerto Vallarta or other ports 14 times, what else is there to see? As I detest lengthy air travel, I usually stick to cruises along the West Coast.

Donald.

[quote name='Kapricorn']Why is [I]Mercury [/I]my favourite ship? She is just the right size for me, and I am impressed with her professional but friendly staff who always welcome me back on each cruise, addressing me by name and even remembering my drink preferences. [I]Mercury[/I] simply feels like home to me.

All I care about the itineraries is that I cruise Alaska during summer and in warm climes during winter. Sometimes I don't disembark at all during an entire cruise, as the ship is the destination itself. After all, if I've docked at Puerto Vallarta or other ports 14 times, what else is there to see? As I detest lengthy air travel, I usually stick to cruises along the West Coast.

Donald.[/quote]

Thanks for your comments Donald. The staff on Mercury obviously do a very good job to enable you to feel at home on their ship.

I can't imagine feeling a ship is a destination in itself. For me the excitement and adventure is all about new ports of call.

I hate long haul air travel also, but we don't have much cruising choice from Australia. Maybe in the future we will be given a better choice.

[quote name='Druke I']We took the Northern route, 8-98, on the late great Royal Princess (now P&O's Artemis), and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our trip started in Dover, and ended in New York City, a 13 night crossing.

At that time, not too many people had been to both Iceland and Greenland - I guess we were "ahead of the curve".

We did go over Titanic's resting spot, but there was no special note made of that fact. The then new movie Titanic was allegedly shown to the crew, but the Cruise Director declined to show it to the passengers. That struck me as incongruous.

We encountered very heavy fog just before Newfoundland - they were blowing the ship's whistle (horn) every 30 seconds. Love that blast![/quote]

Thanks for your response, Michael.

Does sound like you were ahead of your time, taking a northern route in 98. The cruise must have been quite an adventure. Did it feel strange going over Titanic's resting spot? Did you see on the TV news that the last passenger died recently?

Greenland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands seem such exotic ports of call to me, being so far away from Australia.

An American man, who had been in Greenland during the war, introduced me to Greenland.

On my first trip overseas, I stayed overnight in Iceland, en route from NY to Glasgow, on Icelandic Airlines.

Isn't it every boy's dream to blast whistles/horns on ships and trains?

When we encountered very heavy fog in Alaska, on a small Alaskan Marine Highway ferry, I was grateful that the captain blew the horn all the time. It was quite a spooky experience. Edited by MMDown Under

[QUOTE]Do you think Prinsendam might take over from the Saga ships, as Ruby's ship? She certainly sounds like she is impressed.
[/QUOTE]
I believe that Ruby was already smitten with that ship in a previous identity. The following is her quote on this board.

[QUOTE]As I have said, I'm going on this ship to remember my days and weeks on Royal Viking. I don't have a busy itinerary at all; for me, it will be a deck chair and my Kindle2.
[/QUOTE]

Now all that we have to do is wait for her report to know if it worked for her. She will be debarking in about a day but we all know that the toughest day is the one travelling home.

[quote name='Conte Di Savoia']I received an e-mail this morning from Ruby, who is still aboard [i]Prinsendam[/i] and she wanted Fran to know that she was able to purchase a Cyrillic labeled waterbottle from street vendors in Sevastopol. [i]Prinsendam[/i] has exceeded her expectations....always a good thing ensuring a great trip.

She says "Prinsendam is truly an elegant explorer - it is completely different from the other HAL ships. Fresh flowers everywhere which are exquisitely arranged, fresh fruit constantly stocked in staterooms, flawless service and food as good as Oceania. I'm very impressed."
I was glad to get her positive feedback as I've booked a Norwegian fjord cruise onboard her for June, 2010.

I'm looking forward to Ruby's complete review in her now famous literary style.[/QUOTE]

Fran, Ruby asked me to post this for you to see, but perhaps you missed it. She should be on her way home today so I'm sure we'll hear something soon.

Thank you Conte. I remember reading it but my last of reference to it must be another senior moment. I am so glad that Ruby found her water bottle in Cyrillic. Finding one makes the trip an adventure.
Fran

[quote name='Druke I']I had no doubts that Ruby would have a good cruise.

Some of us are going to have a good time regardless! Attitude makes the huge difference.[/quote]

Very true!

We were the first ship in port at Kusadasi, the threshold port to Ephesus. Standing at the bow rail on upper promenade deck right outside my cabin I was interested to note that the port facilities were unusually spic-and-span - modern, organized. Those Greek ruins have paid off in spades by bringing the tourist dollar here. As we docked early in the morning, I spied a huge "Darth Vader" ship coming over the horizon toward us - it was Ocean Village 2 and maybe someone can tell me if that is largely an Aussie cruise ship?

The marine architecture of the OV2 is like putting your hands in front of your face - enclosed, not welcoming. Then a few minutes later, Wind Spirit, the sailing ship, pulled in and docked next to us. It was quite a contrast of small, medium (Prinsendam) and large and, over that day, I mused about choices for cruises extant today. This was before we got to Napoli and Celebrity's Solstice blotted out the sun - literally.

I did not go to the ruins in Ephesus as I have been there, done that. But at lunchtime in the Terrace Grill on Lido Deck, many of us were sitting outside in the open-air area at the stern of our ship, enjoying the canvas over our heads creating a relaxing shade, decorative shrubbery around the tables, and the soothing teak decks as we enjoyed the constant service of the waiters. It was a lovely day, sparkling blue skies, mild ocean breezes, 70s.

Prinsendam's Terrace Grill serves buffet-style choices inside with waiters [I]carrying our trays[/I] to either inside or outside dining. Of course, anyone can enjoy a meal in the La Fontaine dining room but, in that kind of weather, who would want to?

As I dined in this lovely setting, I realized that Ocean Village 2 had no outdoor dining facility on the stern or any place visible on their enclosed decks. There was a small area at their stern where many pax were sunbathing and gawking at the outdoor dining facility on our elegant little explorer - it was a stark contrast.

Digression - why is puce or dark lilac the paint of choice for new-ship exteriors decorations and funnels?

Fran, I definitely think you should try Prinsendam. The price is right, the hospitality and service are top drawer, the ship is set up to deal with any disabilities or infirmities. That flawless Filipino and Indonesian hospitality brings a delightful ingredient to the relaxed, helpful, and efficient atmosphere onboard.

Okay, it's 4:00am and I woke up starving. The Room Service bell at my house isn't working so it's a frozen breakfast taco for me. Reality - uggghhh.

Ruby

Welcome back, my friend Ruby. Hope you had a grand trip.

Reference OV2. She is the former Crown Princess. We've sailed her twin sis, Regal Princess a couple of times, and liked her. Their unusual architectural shape was designed by Renzo Piano, and allegedly was likened to a dolphin. The two are good riders in heavy seas.

Ocean Village is folding their tent, and OV2 is being transferred to P&O (Aus), where she will join her sis, former Regal Princess, now called Pacific Dawn. P&O (Aus) added many 3rd & 4th bunks to Pacific Dawn, and I'm guessing they will do the same to OV2. I don't recall what OV2's new name will be.

Ocean Village was marketed primarily to the Brits, as a lower cost alternativre to P&O (UK).

Welcome home Ruby. You have to remember that the OV slogan is "Cruises for people who don't do cruises". It is cheap and informal. The main restaurant is self service I believe. Our Captain on Artemis had come from a stint on OV1 and joked about having to queue for his meals!!

Did you find your lighthouse??

I am so glad that you had a wonderful time. I have been to Ephesus but since my cruise there in the 90's, they have opened a section called the Terrace Houses. My friends were on a land tour and at my suggestion went to see it. They were so pleased that I did, Some day I hope that I will.

[quote]Fran, I definitely think you should try Prinsendam[/quote]

Ruby, You are most probably correct. I have looked at the possibility of doing that . The size and number of passengers is just to my taste. The biggest problem is wanting to do ports that I never have done previously.
Are there any plans for retirement of the Prinsendam? I hope not.

When I do an average of 30 days, I like to have more than one or two ports that I have not seen previously. I still have so many places in this world that I have not yet visited that have piqued my interest.

Now my biggest dream is to cruise to Easter Island. After seeing the Moai n the museum in La Serena, Chile and having a photo of a Moai with me, I want to see more.

Hi, Ruby! Welcome back! I'm so pleased to know that you had a more than satisfactory experience on [I]Prinsendam[/I]. Was the Chef's Hat Dinner scheduled anytime during that cruise?

So, you achieved your goal of getting a bottled water (вода) in Ukraine! How about those bottled in Italy, Greece & Turkey, or do you have it on your to-do list on future cruises?

Donald.

[quote name='ships cat']Did you find your lighthouse??[/quote]

Yes, I did. But it was soooo hard spotting the hotel from the water on a hazy cloudy early morning. I took an iPhone photo which is barely visible but at least I will have that memory with me. No wonder you never saw it - that was a high degree of difficulty!

[quote name='franu']The size and number of passengers is just to my taste. The biggest problem is wanting to do ports that I never have done previously. Are there any plans for retirement of the Prinsendam? I hope not.[/quote]

I have no reason to think that Prinsendam will retire. She meets SOLAS rules so that will not be relevant. I often thought of you whilst enjoying such a marvelous onboard experience. On a formal night, I wore my Royal Viking charm on a gold necklace and, amongst all the hullaballoo, as the Captain shook my hand he exclaimed, "Royal Viking!" Prinsendam is definitely on that level of service and hospitality.

[quote name='Kapricorn']Hi, Ruby! Welcome back! I'm so pleased to know that you had a more than satisfactory experience on [I]Prinsendam[/I]. Was the Chef's Hat Dinner scheduled anytime during that cruise? Donald.[/quote]

I was braced for Chef's Hat night but a big Whew! None. Altho' they have a "Black and Gold" formal night which is spectacular and which I passed on, having had a busy day in Sevastopol. Buying water bottles is hard - NOT! Oh, pulease, Donald, why would I have bottles so pedestrian as Italy or Greece? Nyuck, nyuck! I like it that you can somehow pull off Russian phrases to post here - quite an admirable skill.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Unfortunately, my final souvenir of the trip is a beautifully nasty summer cold. Yesterday was the "Lord, please take me away" phase, now I'm thinking I may actually survive the lung congestion and weepy eyes. By Wednesday, this'll all be in the rearview mirror, I'll feel fine, sound sick, and answer the "Are you sick?" thing. [/SIZE]But I got too tired with too little sleep and, altho we were sanitized constantly on the ship, my immune system lost a step and let in a marauder.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]I have managed to reduce the "home from overseas" maelstrom down to my house looking normal - while decorated discreetly with drop-dead gorgeous pieces of Yildiz porcelain from Istanbul.[/SIZE]

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]The quality of the cruise exceeded my expectations. I saved so much $$$$ ahead of time on the tariff that I was afraid the ship would be cutting corners, but not so. And I enjoyed the vast array of international passengers - 60 Dutch,12 Kiwi, many Aussies, Canadians - it was tons o' fun to visit with them. At dinnertime, I would walk up to the maitre d', request a table for eight, and take his random selection. Each night was a learning process with all of the pax being world travelers so I was in my element swapping information and learning new things.[/SIZE]

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]It turns out that, if a fine, daily breakfast buffet is presented to me, with custom-cooked omelets, pancakes, eggs, sweets, breads and fruits, I will eat too much. I got worried that I was being fattened up for being a [I]foie gras[/I] donor. So [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]I finally got a grip and forced myself to eat "only" blueberry muffins and a melon plate. [/SIZE]

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]I am cancelling my Antarctica cruise. The scenario is this: A stranger walks up to my front door, puts her hands out and says, "Pick one." One hand has $14,000 in it, the other hand has 10 days in Antarctica. Every single time, I make the business decision and take the money.[/SIZE]

[/FONT]Ruby

[quote name='Druke I']That's a good photo, Ruby. Looks like you are really enjoying yourself.[/quote]

What I was laughing about is that I never wear makeup, am standing under strong lights which will highlight my every flaw, and I can't wait to see how this photo turns out. My 65th b'day is at the end of June and I'm using that photo when I turn 75!

Thanks for the comment, Michael. As my partner-in-crime onboard [I]Nautica[/I], I always like hearing your thoughts.

Ruby

I don't know if you have gone through all your snail mail, but Oceania's company magazine, Passages, indicates that their new ship, Marina, will do its 1st trans-Atlantic, 12-7-10, Barcelona to Miami, and that past Oceania passengers will have "first crack" at reservations this August. Additionally, the brochures and deck plans will also be available in August.

Virginia and I, her sister and bro-in-law, are tentatively planning on booking the passage. Sis and bro-in-law were with us on Oceania's Regatta into the Baltic, 8-05, and have been on several other cruises with us.

Are you up to a trans-Atlantic on Oceania's newest? Keep in mind it is larger than their R ships - approx 62,000 GRT.

[quote name='Druke I']Are you up to a trans-Atlantic on Oceania's newest? Keep in mind it is larger than their R ships - approx 62,000 GRT.[/quote]

My sole requirement from Oceania is that the shower curtain not wrap firmly around my leg whilst I am making my ablutions. That one flaw in the cabin design made me crazy for 26 days. Wet plastic and wet skin do not a partnership make.

I would love to see you and Virginia again and enjoy the new ship, but I cannot bear to think of any international flight for the foreseeable future. It was so nice flying 1.41 hrs from ATL to DFW. A cakewalk. Which turns me toward a trip to Bar Harbor and the Bay of Fundy perhaps this autumn.

Y'all go ahead on that maiden voyage and I'll be eager to hear your review.

Ruby

[quote name='Druke I']Welcome back, my friend Ruby. Hope you had a grand trip.

Reference OV2. She is the former Crown Princess. We've sailed her twin sis, Regal Princess a couple of times, and liked her. Their unusual architectural shape was designed by Renzo Piano, and allegedly was likened to a dolphin. The two are good riders in heavy seas.

Ocean Village is folding their tent, and OV2 is being transferred to P&O (Aus), where she will join her sis, former Regal Princess, now called Pacific Dawn. P&O (Aus) added many 3rd & 4th bunks to Pacific Dawn, and I'm guessing they will do the same to OV2. [B]I don't recall what OV2's new name will be.[/B]

Ocean Village was marketed primarily to the Brits, [B]as a lower cost alternativre to P&O (UK)[/B].[/quote]

:) Note the advance publicity from P & O calls the ship a superliner.

"P&O Cruises welcomes [B]superliner[/B], [B]Pacific Jewel[/B], the 70,310 tonne sister ship to Pacific Dawn, to our fleet, Pacific Jewel will sail from Brisbane from December 2009 to a number of idyllic [URL="http://www.pocruises.com.au/html/region-pacific-south-pacific.cfm"]South Pacific[/URL] and [URL="http://www.pocruises.com.au/html/region-australia-new-zealand.cfm"]Australian[/URL] destinations on cruises ranging from 7 – 21-nights."