Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Yesterday I received an e-mail from the maitre d' on Century that for next week he has assigned me and my friend to Table 557, the same one that I had two weeks ago. As seen from my photograph of the Baked Alaska event, this table is directly in front of the grand staircase, and should impress my friend. It is great to cultivate cordial relationships with the staff.

Donald.

Bon Voyage for your cruise next week, Donald.

Good to hear that the staff look after regular customers, like you. Your friend should be most impressed with your table's prime position, especially for the Baked Alaska Parade.

Radiance of the Seas and Century are cruising Down Under, for the first time, this year.

Sharon, I enjoyed reading your cruise review. I agree that it might have been the bar decor and restrictive meal times that were off-putting to the overall cruise experience.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from the maitre d' on Century that for next week he has assigned me and my friend to Table 557, the same one that I had two weeks ago. As seen from my photograph of the Baked Alaska event, this table is directly in front of the grand staircase, and should impress my friend. It is great to cultivate cordial relationships with the staff.

Donald.

Bon Voyage Donald. I hope it all works out with your friend. It is indeed good to develop good relationships with the crew - you never know where it might get you :)

Radiance of the Seas and Century are cruising Down Under, for the first time, this year.

That is great about Down Under getting attention from some of the major cruise lines. I have been on both ships, and I would give Radiance of the Seas a slight edge over Century, especially the buffet cafe with its islands of different kinds of food rather than the long school cafeteria style on Celebrity.

I am curious what do you refer to us, if we call you "Down Under"? Do you call us "Up Over"? :D

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

That is great about Down Under getting attention from some of the major cruise lines. I have been on both ships, and I would give Radiance of the Seas a slight edge over Century, especially the buffet cafe with its islands of different kinds of food rather than the long school cafeteria style on Celebrity.

I am curious what do you refer to us, if we call you "Down Under"? Do you call us "Up Over"? :D

Donald.

Yes, it is great to finally be getting some better ships. Next year, Celebrity Solstice, Carnival Spirit and HAL Oosterdam will be cruising Down Under.

I'd like to cruise on Radiance one day.

No, you're the majority. You need to be a minority, below many other countries on the globe, to get a special name, like Down Under.

Edited by MMDown Under

I am curious what do you refer to us, if we call you "Down Under"? Do you call us "Up Over"? Donald.

When I was in Darwin and Queensland, I was taught to say "Top End." Also, back in the day as I traveled the globe, I used to say I was from America until one day in Bolivia, an aristocratic woman pulled herself up to her full height of five feet and said in her most haughty manner, "We are ALL Americans." Ever since then, I've said that I'm from the States.

Happy trails, Donald. We are keen to hear about you sailing with a friend instead of solo. Take notes and we look forward to reading all about it.

Ruby

When I was in Darwin and Queensland, I was taught to say "Top End." Also, back in the day as I traveled the globe, I used to say I was from America until one day in Bolivia, an aristocratic woman pulled herself up to her full height of five feet and said in her most haughty manner, "We are ALL Americans." Ever since then, I've said that I'm from the States.

Happy trails, Donald. We are keen to hear about you sailing with a friend instead of solo. Take notes and we look forward to reading all about it.

Ruby

I would be curious how that haughty Bolivian would classify us from Canada? We certainly are not Americans. Therefore that lady is just a Bolivian, not American. But when traveling, of course we respect others' opinions even if we disagree.

After my return I will let all know how I liked or detested sharing the cabin with this friend. :D However, I will go on the cruise with a positive mind. It is not as if I am traveling with a stranger.

The weather forecast here is superb ... plenty of sun through Monday! We will have a nice sailaway on Sunday and will be on the top deck to watch Lions Gate Bridge pass overhead. Ruby, it'll be your turn in September. :)

Donald.

Ruby

I would be curious how that haughty Bolivian would classify us from Canada? We certainly are not Americans. Therefore that lady is just a Bolivian, not American. But when traveling, of course we respect others' opinions even if we disagree.

After my return I will let all know how I liked or detested sharing the cabin with this friend. :D However, I will go on the cruise with a positive mind. It is not as if I am traveling with a stranger.

The weather forecast here is superb ... plenty of sun through Monday! We will have a nice sailaway on Sunday and will be on the top deck to watch Lions Gate Bridge pass overhead. Ruby, it'll be your turn in September. :)

Donald.

Northern Territory and Darwin are still referred to as "Top End", Ruby.

Way back when I was at school, I was taught America consisted of North and South America, with Canada being part of North America, so I can see where the Bolivian lady was coming from. However, it is well known that people from the United States of America are known as Americans.

Glad you are having superb weather for your sailaway on Sunday, Donald - enjoy.

I listen to BBC World Service at night until I fall asleep. A few days ago, a journalist was saying to contact the Beeb "with any comments you may have." Then she rattled off a huge, long string of numbers for a phone contact.

When y'all hear double 0, double 4, double 8, 47, double 1, etc. can you write down what they are saying? I get stuck when I hear the first "double" and don't hear the rest of the number. You?

Sharon - I enjoyed your cruise review. You mentioned ". . . but the guide said there was a rare free toilet in the shop there so we all trooped off and just as we got to the door a burly guy in uniform locked the whole shop for a 15 minute “technical break”, whatever that is." Do you think that the burly guy wanted a tip or disliked anyone but fellow Russians?

Over and over I hear about Russian officials in various local ports covertly harassing cruise ship captains for either personal or financial gain. In 2010, in Petropavlosk on the Kamchatka Peninsula, the Russian navy performed "military maneuvers" outside the port, not allowing the ship to leave until sufficient amounts of liquor, pastries, and cash were passed along to local officials. This past May, Silversea solved that problem by inviting the local officials onboard for the day. When they left the ship, it took two large tenders to ferry all of them back to the port.

In Sevastopol, Ukraine, our 4-hour tour consisted of four stops where the coaches were parked for more than an hour per stop. As we circled the city, after I saw the same Soviet Union tank in the same park 3 times, I realized that the tour was minimal with long "rest" stops to fill in the time. Coming out of a communist past, the Russian travel industry is slowly learning to give value for money paid. Evidently they are unconcerned that the cruise ship can cancel their port and take the money elsewhere.

Ruby

Are you booked for any exciting itneraries this year on a favoured ship?

Ruby

The next scheduled cruise is on Silver Explorer, (ex Prince Albert II in October from Costa Rica to Peru with an extension to Machu Picchu) but tomorrow we are leaving on (can you believe it?) a non-cruise get-a-way to Charleston, South Carolina. We've heard how great a place it is and we thought we should experience some of that Low Country hospitality and food. The Spoleto Festival is the current event so we plan on taking in some theater, opera and some other events during a long weekend. We will also be visiting Fort Sumter, historic homes and the old slave market.

We will also be visiting Fort Sumter, historic homes and the old slave market.

Fort Sumter made quite a mark on my memory. The fortification seems simplistic but, when one considers its place in history, it looms large.

A few years ago, the Charlestonians raised the Hunley, a Confederate submarine. It is now on display in Charleston. When you see the tiny interior, the place where the candle was placed to indicate oxygen inside (or the lack thereof), and the Captain's personal gold medallion recovered from the wreckage, it is an immensely moving exhibit.

I stayed at a B&B on Zero Water Street, down by the battery. My large room and verandah looked over the coast road. It is the only white house on the Battery and can be seen from Fort Sumter. I would sit in my wooden rocking chair, then stand up and wave to the tourists in their horse-drawn carriages as they passed by. A wonderful trip.

A land trip, Conte? You mean there's more to see than just the high seas? I know that Marion and Barry enjoy land tours as do I. Have a wonderful time. Charleston is a marvelous host to everyone.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

I listen to BBC World Service at night until I fall asleep. A few days ago, a journalist was saying to contact the Beeb "with any comments you may have." Then she rattled off a huge, long string of numbers for a phone contact.

When y'all hear double 0, double 4, double 8, 47, double 1, etc. can you write down what they are saying? I get stuck when I hear the first "double" and don't hear the rest of the number. You?

Hey - with my memory at the moment I wouldn't get pass 00 !!

Sharon - I enjoyed your cruise review. You mentioned ". . . but the guide said there was a rare free toilet in the shop there so we all trooped off and just as we got to the door a burly guy in uniform locked the whole shop for a 15 minute “technical break”, whatever that is." Do you think that the burly guy wanted a tip or disliked anyone but fellow Russians?

Over and over I hear about Russian officials in various local ports covertly harassing cruise ship captains for either personal or financial gain. In 2010, in Petropavlosk on the Kamchatka Peninsula, the Russian navy performed "military maneuvers" outside the port, not allowing the ship to leave until sufficient amounts of liquor, pastries, and cash were passed along to local officials. This past May, Silversea solved that problem by inviting the local officials onboard for the day. When they left the ship, it took two large tenders to ferry all of them back to the port.

In Sevastopol, Ukraine, our 4-hour tour consisted of four stops where the coaches were parked for more than an hour per stop. As we circled the city, after I saw the same Soviet Union tank in the same park 3 times, I realized that the tour was minimal with long "rest" stops to fill in the time. Coming out of a communist past, the Russian travel industry is slowly learning to give value for money paid. Evidently they are unconcerned that the cruise ship can cancel their port and take the money elsewhere.

Ruby

I don't think it was us particularly that he disliked us Ruby, as the guide translated a permanent sign that was on the door that seemed to imply that this happened every day regardless, and in fact beside our coach, there were a number of lorries and private cars that had to wait as well for fuel.

I am sorry your tour of Sevastopol was so poor. I still consider my trip there as one of my best tours where we got to see the panorama, Valley of Death and Balaklava submarine pens as well as having lunch there. There was no sense of grabbing our money and not offering anything in return. The only guide on this trip I felt was just doing the bare minimum was at the Catherine Palace and everyone remarked on it. I suppose it is something we have to accept when visiting these countries - that they operate on different values etc. The only really miserable jobs-worths seemed to be the immigration women who shouted if you stood even an inch over the waiting line.

Edited by Host Sharon

Hi, I'm back!

The cruise went very well. The only disappointment for first-timers was that due to dense fog and heavy sea ice the ship stopped 3 miles from Hubbard Glacier and returned to sea.

There were 147 Captain's Club members (those with more than 1 cruise on Celebrity) aboard, meaning that about 1,650 first-timers were on the cruise. There were only 10 Elite-level members (those with more than 10 cruises on Celebrity). For the fourth time in three years (all on cruises to Alaska) I was honoured by the Captain at a reception as the Most Frequent Celebrity Cruiser on the voyage (see 1st photograph).

Having a friend on the cruise was not much of a hardship for me. He is not a morning person at all, so I had the cabin bathroom all to myself and was out by 8am for breakfast. He usually woke at 9:30am. In Juneau and Ketchikan we went our separate ways. We did go together on the thrilling ZipRider in Icy Strait Point - the world's longest at 5,330 feet long (1,624 meters) and 1,350 feet high (411 meters) which took 90 seconds to ride to the end.

My friend and I were invited to sit with the Captain at the Captain's Table on the first formal night. When he realized that it was actually the Captain with whom we were sitting, my friend puffed his chest importantly and throughout the dinner chatted with the Captain every few minutes, as if he was the most important passenger at the table.

I was mortified when he listed all the cruise lines on which he had sailed (to which the Captain made no comment). I wanted to lean over the table and bonk my friend on his head. At the conclusion, after the ladies were each given a rose, my friend in his toadying behaviour started to say to the Captain, "You have a very warm..." whereupon the Captain abruptly stood up, as did half of the others at the table, and my friend was left hanging with his sentence half-finished.

Would I sail with my friend again? Perhaps in a couple of years. It was nice to experience the comfort of a Concierge Class cabin with a balcony instead of a mere oceanview cabin. A balcony and a luxurious bathrobe is not a deal-breaker for me, though.

I'm also attaching a picture of us at Table 557, the same one which I had three weeks earlier. Besides my friend, there were 2 ladies from California, a lovely couple from Belgium and an attractive mother-and-daughter from Vancouver Island.

Donald.

281784127_x20110606Frequent.jpg.90ce0fb5c0204f266532733be0b1b3ab.jpg

531483251_x20110609Table557.jpg.c302d79cecbaf75f8c58d039b5bffee1.jpg

My friend and I were invited to sit with the Captain at the Captain's Table on the first formal night. When he realized that it was actually the Captain with whom we were sitting, my friend puffed his chest importantly and throughout the dinner chatted with the Captain every few minutes, as if he was the most important passenger at the table. Donald.

Were you surprised at your friend's focused attention on the Captain?

Did y'all do shorex in the various ports or mostly stay onboard?

Ruby

Were you surprised at your friend's focused attention on the Captain?

Did y'all do shorex in the various ports or mostly stay onboard?

Ruby

Yes, I was very surprised at my friend's focused attention on the Captain. At our regular dinner table he was mostly quiet and merely followed the conversations among the table companions.

In Juneau and Ketchikan I stepped ashore to purchase no-sugar goodies, as well as to walk around for a bit to stretch my legs. My friend was busy in various shops in these ports buying souvenirs for his family and friends. The ZipRider in Icy Strait Point was the only shore activity that we did together.

I bought two classics in the Juneau bookstore - Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage and Ernest Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. I have never read books by these authors before, so I am interested to find out their literary styles.

Donald.

Sad about the Vancouver Hockey Riots. What are your thoughts, Donald? Do you have an understanding of the background reasons? Were the riots anywhere near your place?

The NBA Champion Dallas Mavericks (basketball team) have had a wonderful day today - parade & celebration all day long. Exciting times.

In amongst all this, I heard a whisper about Vancouver hockey riots. Can you give us an "on the ground" report?

Ruby

The NBA Champion Dallas Mavericks (basketball team) have had a wonderful day today - parade & celebration all day long. Exciting times.

In amongst all this, I heard a whisper about Vancouver hockey riots. Can you give us an "on the ground" report?

Ruby

The riots were headline news on TV and newspapers in Australia, as Australia is a member of the Commonwealth with Canada.

This is from Brisbane Times -

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/breaking-news-sport/nearly-150-hurt-in-vancouver-riots-20110617-1g6cd.html

Donald probably has more local information.

The riots were centred five blocks from my apartment. I did not know about the riots until about 10pm, when my cousin texted me to ask if it is peaceful in my area. I looked out my window and things were just the usual, but with lots of hockey fans in Canucks shirts entering the Canada Line station across the alley.

I turned on the TV and was surprised to view scenes from the riots. I had watched the broadcast of the Stanley Cup final which ended after 7pm and knew that Boston Bruins had won 4-0 over Vancouver Canucks.

Canadians are usually not overt with emotions, and most accepted the hockey result with resignation and admiration of the Bruins' superior prowess. However, we do have malcontents and troublemakers intending to do mischief no matter what the hockey result was. Many young people had drunk beer in the arena, and upon exiting after the game some of them were inclined to join in the action to release pent-up frustration and energy.

Downtown transit services were disrupted due to the riots, and there were 100,000 people milling around unable to head home. So they stayed and watched the riots, interfering with the efforts of police and firefighters to bring order to the chaos.

It affected my partner, David, an Air Canada training manager, who was at the airport with other managers and non-unionized staff doing the duties of the nationwide 3,800 striking Air Canada customer service staff. The airline wanted to keep the planes and passengers flying during the strike, which began last Monday. David's 10-hour duty ended at 10:30pm, so I texted him to say that the police had closed the two bridges over False Creek to stop people from driving over to downtown to join or just sight-see the riots.

David had driven to the airport, and decided to leave his car there overnight and take the Canada Line train to the station beside our building. However, police also halted Canada Line service at the station before it went underneath False Creek. David had to walk over the bridge to get home. What a night for him!

The federal government is intending to legislate the striking Air Canada customer service staff back to work, as it probably will also do with the 48,000 striking Canada Post employees who have been shut out since Monday. What an eventful week for Vancouver and Canada!

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

The riots were centred five blocks from my apartment. I did not know about the riots until about 10pm, when my cousin texted me to ask if it is peaceful in my area. I looked out my window and things were just the usual, but with lots of hockey fans in Canucks shirts entering the Canada Line station across the alley.

The federal government is intending to legislate the striking Air Canada customer service staff back to work, as it probably will also do with the 48,000 striking Canada Post employees who have been shut out since Monday. What an eventful week for Vancouver and Canada! Donald.

I have now read several news sources about the riots (thanks, Marion!) and the general consensus is that the riots were an organized event, similar to a flash mob but in a negative way. Are Canadian anarchists so passionate about their cause or are they a bunch of hooligans who enjoy making splashes in the headlines and destroying commercial property?

I also read about the Canadian postal service which was shut down completely by the government. How long do you think that shut-down will go on?

Ruby

I quote this morning's Vancouver Sun:

A small, well-organized group may have come prepared to spark a riot, but they had no trouble finding accomplices.

Tens of thousands of others were in downtown Vancouver. Few were innocent bystanders, aside from the heroes who helped the fallen and tried to protect businesses.

Some joined the melee. Many cheered the rioters on, chanting, and taunting police. Even passive spectators who defied orders to go home aided by becoming human shields for the lines of hooligans who faced down the riot squad.

The bystanders' presence alone made them culpable as they frustrated efforts by emergency workers to do what was needed, whether to put out fires, stop the looting or break up fights.

Why did they stay? Most likely won't admit it, but there is an adrenalin rush that comes with being on the edge of violence.

Ruby, I have no idea how long the postal strike will go on. However, in this age of e-mails, online payments and couriers, the effect will not be felt by the majority of Canadians and hence no public pressure to do something about it. I still think that at some point the government will legislate the strikers back to work.

Air Canada customer service staff are back at work. David has today off from work due to his past three days of service in the airport.

Donald.

http://www.nrk.no/hurtigruten/?lang=en

This is a live from hurtigruten.

People have travelled along the Norwegian coastline with “Hurtigruten” since 1893. The journey is known as “The World’s Most Beautiful Sea Voyage”. Now everybody can travel along in the world’s longest TV program! Spectacular fjords, midnight sun and genuine Norwegian scenery make the setting for a trip from Bergen to Kirkenes. We broadcast the whole trip live minute by minute for 134 hours!

I worn you it is addictive. But you can listen/watch at your leisure.

The ship is about to turn into Trondheim.

This was my favourite cruise (apart from my world cruises) and I want to go back again already.

I worn you it is addictive. But you can listen/watch at your leisure.

This was my favourite cruise (apart from my world cruises) and I want to go back again already.

A hearty second from this side of the world for a marvy Web site. It is, indeed, addictive. Thanks for this link.

After over 50 years of cruising, my Saga Ruby cruise along the west coast of Norway up to Svalbard, Longyearbyen, and polar bears at the polar icepack, is by far and away the blue-ribbon winner of all my cruises. Thanks for giving me a fine memory jog with this intriguing yet tranquil Web site.

Conte - how was Charleston? Highlights? Lowlights?

Ruby

A hearty second from this side of the world for a marvy Web site. It is, indeed, addictive. Thanks for this link.

After over 50 years of cruising, my Saga Ruby cruise along the west coast of Norway up to Svalbard, Longyearbyen, and polar bears at the polar icepack, is by far and away the blue-ribbon winner of all my cruises. Thanks for giving me a fine memory jog with this intriguing yet tranquil Web site.

Conte - how was Charleston? Highlights? Lowlights?

Ruby

It is indeed addictive ..arghh ! Mustn't waste time watching other cruise cams !!