Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

In Vancouver this morning. Looking forward to enjoying this beautiful city again - a true walkers' paradise.

Welcome to Vancouver, Marion & Barry! We are having another day of great weather, perfect for your walking enjoyment. :)

Donald.

Welcome to Vancouver, Marion & Barry! We are having another day of great weather, perfect for your walking enjoyment. :)

Donald.

Thanks for putting on such a beautiful sunny day for me. Everyone has been telling me summer came late, so I appreciate the good weather. Lovely atmosphere with everyone out and about enjoying the weather.

I literally walked the soles off my shoes yesterday. Lucky I threw in a pair of light thongs (Australian ones) last minute, so could continue with my walking.

Another day walking for me.

Thanks for putting on such a beautiful sunny day for me. Everyone has been telling me summer came late, so I appreciate the good weather. Lovely atmosphere with everyone out and about enjoying the weather.

I'm sure, Marion, that you brought the Australian sunshine with you ... many thanks! :) You know that I had been moaning and complaining about our overcast, rainy and chilly summer until now. Where did you and Barry walk today?

Here is a photograph of Frankie, the dog that I walk four times weekly. Such a cute pooch! I got the photograph today from her owner.

Frankie1a.jpg

Donald.

Here is a photograph of Frankie, the dog that I walk four times weekly. Such a cute pooch! I got the photograph today from her owner. Donald.

A cute pooch indeed! I have this mental image of the Silver Fox (that would be you) strolling the sidewalks of Vancouver with the Silver Pooch (that would be Frankie). What a handsome pair you must be!

Ruby

I'm sure, Marion, that you brought the Australian sunshine with you ... many thanks! :) You know that I had been moaning and complaining about our overcast, rainy and chilly summer until now. Where did you and Barry walk today?

Here is a photograph of Frankie, the dog that I walk four times weekly. Such a cute pooch! I got the photograph today from her owner.

Frankie1a.jpg

Donald.

I walked all day in the Van Dusan Botanical Gardens (Bus 17 from downtown). What a glorious garden - food for the soul. I can't believe this was my first visit. I'd become a member of the Gardens if I lived in Vancouver.

Another beautiful day in Vancouver.

Saw lots of dogs like this cute little one being walked.

I walked all day in the Van Dusan Botanical Gardens (Bus 17 from downtown). What a glorious garden - food for the soul. I can't believe this was my first visit. I'd become a member of the Gardens if I lived in Vancouver.

I hope you get a chance to visit Butchart Gardens near Victoria while you're "in the neighborhood". They are among my very favorites and well worth the visit.

Saw lots of dogs like this cute little one being walked.

Glad that you are enjoying your walking tours of Vancouver as well as the nice weather. It was only 22C (72F) yesterday but it felt higher than that. We have dry heat, not humid heat. 72F must sound like paradise to Saga Ruby. Marion, I don't remember if you have been here before?

Vancouver has about 625,000 residents and up to 145,000 dogs. That's one dog per 5 people!

Donald.

I hope you get a chance to visit Butchart Gardens near Victoria while you're "in the neighborhood". They are among my very favorites and well worth the visit.

Glad that you are enjoying your walking tours of Vancouver as well as the nice weather. It was only 22C (72F) yesterday but it felt higher than that. We have dry heat, not humid heat. 72F must sound like paradise to Saga Ruby. Marion, I don't remember if you have been here before?

Vancouver has about 625,000 residents and up to 145,000 dogs. That's one dog per 5 people!

Donald.

Yes, I have been to Butchart Gardens and I agree they are well worth a visit, Conte

Felt hotter today, but still lovely mild summer weather. Yes, I've been here several times before and have always enjoyed Vancouver. However, this is the BEST weather I've had.

I hope you have similar good weather before your cruise, Ruby.

Saw on TV weather that St John's weather today was 12, which makes all my layers seem rather skimpy. Lucky I have a windbreaker coat, as I suspect I'm going to experience all weathers this trip.

A cute pooch indeed! I have this mental image of the Silver Fox (that would be you) strolling the sidewalks of Vancouver with the Silver Pooch (that would be Frankie). What a handsome pair you must be!

You can call us the Silver Spirits. :D

Felt hotter today, but still lovely mild summer weather. Yes, I've been here several times before and have always enjoyed Vancouver. However, this is the BEST weather I've had.

I hope you have similar good weather before your cruise, Ruby.

Saw on TV weather that St John's weather today was 12, which makes all my layers seem rather skimpy. Lucky I have a windbreaker coat, as I suspect I'm going to experience all weathers this trip.

It's terrific that you are experiencing the BEST weather that you've had here. Yes, I hope that Ruby has the same luck with the weather when she is here.

St. John's weather is just about as unpredictable as Vancouver's, but the long range forecast is for 19C around the 19th, with a low of about 14C. Will you be there then?

Donald.

Yesterday's high in Vancouver was 22.8C (73F) which is exactly the average for that day. It felt much hotter than that because the official weather readings are taken at the Vancouver International Airport, which is at sea level and right beside the water. Temperatures are much higher in the densely-packed downtown district.

Donald.

You can call us the Silver Spirits. :D

It's terrific that you are experiencing the BEST weather that you've had here. Yes, I hope that Ruby has the same luck with the weather when she is here.

St. John's weather is just about as unpredictable as Vancouver's, but the long range forecast is for 19C around the 19th, with a low of about 14C. Will you be there then?

Donald.

Felt cooler today, especially at elevated Queen Elizabeth Park, but still lovely in the sun along the Seaway.

Saw a Disney ship depart this evening. Looked like my kind of size ship, but guess you'd have to sail on her outside school holidays.

We will be in Newfoundland from 3-17/9, so guess we can expect cool weather then.

My daughter tells me it is hot, rainy and stormy in Toronto, so we're appreciating Vancouver's mild summer!

We will be in Newfoundland from 3-17/9, so guess we can expect cool weather then. My daughter tells me it is hot, rainy and stormy in Toronto, so we're appreciating Vancouver's mild summer!

Marion - how are you posting your notes? Netbook, laptop, smartphone, or hotel computer? I have never reached a solution to weight versus access. Years ago, I had an interest in the Sony VAIO until I lifted it. Much too heavy, even at a few pounds, for my use.

Your cheery notes are fun to read - just wondering how you accomplish them.

Ruby

Marion - how are you posting your notes? Netbook, laptop, smartphone, or hotel computer? I have never reached a solution to weight versus access. Years ago, I had an interest in the Sony VAIO until I lifted it. Much too heavy, even at a few pounds, for my use.

Your cheery notes are fun to read - just wondering how you accomplish them.

Ruby

Ruby, I'm only posting notes now, because there is internet access at the hotel.

I haven't fallen in love with the iPad yet, because typing on it drives me crazy!

I agree a laptop is too heavy to cart on your travels.

I, and a number of regulars, enjoy following bloggers on their current World Cruise from Australia. It is always interesting reading their different impressions and points of view of the ports of call, activities on board, etc. I gather they type it all up in their cabin, and then just download it to the internet, which is much cheaper.

Was delighted to catch the Island Princess and Volendam departing today. I'd love to live somewhere I could watch ships come and go.

Off to Toronto tomorrow.

A quick hello there! Hope everyone is enjoying their travels - they sound wonderful!

I was just going to say I find a netbook great for travelling. I bought one with an 11 hour battery life so no need for too frequent charging, or if you leave out the batttery and only use it mains powered it is very light indeed.

Edited by Host Sharon

I was just going to say I find a netbook great for travelling. I bought one with an 11 hour battery life so no need for too frequent charging, or if you leave out the batttery and only use it mains powered it is very light indeed.

Sharon - are you close to your book deadline? I have visions of you hunched over a smokin'-hot keyboard.

Can you readily touch-type on your netbook? I am interested in them for travel but, as always, I want you brave pioneers to break the trail ahead.

Ruby

Very close Ruby - since it was moved forward a month so Legal have longer to go through it! We are getting there but as you say - smokin' hot at the moment and getting very irritable! Woe betide someone asks me something NOT to do with cruise ships !!

Yes, the keyboard is great on my netbook - as good as or perhaps even better than the laptop. I also chose a white one (black casing, white inside) as it seems easier to see in poor light etc. Obviously you lose out on dvd reader/writer and the power and memory is much less, but I don't want to carry round everything with me on it, just what I am working on at the moment, and for that it is fine.

All of you will remember my complaints of constant rain in Vancouver. Now we are entering a drought. This morning's newspaper reported that over the past 25 days we had only one day with measurable rain. I just know that when our Pacific National Exhibition runs from August 20 to September 5, that will be when rain is likely to occur.

Donald.

Donald, the rain hasn’t gone away, it just made a transcontinental trek and took aim at the New York metropolitan area. We received 5 to 10 inches this past Sunday, an amount equal to what we would get if a hurricane took aim at us. Luckily it wasn’t accompanied by the high winds. It was a good day to stay indoors as many local streets were flooded. So I spent the day in the kitchen cooking up the veggies we had bought at our local farmers’ market on Saturday morning, followed by Martinis in the afternoon and a fine dinner….not on ocean liner china, however

Donald, the rain hasn’t gone away, it just made a transcontinental trek and took aim at the New York metropolitan area. We received 5 to 10 inches this past Sunday, an amount equal to what we would get if a hurricane took aim at us. Luckily it wasn’t accompanied by the high winds. It was a good day to stay indoors as many local streets were flooded. So I spent the day in the kitchen cooking up the veggies we had bought at our local farmers’ market on Saturday morning, followed by Martinis in the afternoon and a fine dinner….not on ocean liner china, however

Conte, that certainly sounded like a great way to relax indoors during a wet day - kitchen cooking, martinis and fine dinner.

Ruby, I noticed from the 10-day weather forecast that Dallas is expected to finally go under 100F on Friday, August 26, with a high of 98F and scattered thunderstorms. Will you be standing in your yard, arms spread wide and head bent back to revel in the raindrops splashing on your face?

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

It's over here too! Summer - what summer !!!

not been on this for a while, how are you doing? not a great year for cruises sadly. hopefukky get a few soon.

BOUDICCA oct to baltic

RADIANCE OF SEAS nov SYDNEY-SYDNEY

MELODY feb 2012 CAPE TOWN-GENOA

looking forward to them all

dave

Hi, Dave! These look like an extremely interesting range of ships and itineraries. Have you booked these yet, or are you just considering them?

Donald.

Ruby, I noticed from the 10-day weather forecast that Dallas is expected to finally go under 100F on Friday, August 26, with a high of 98F and scattered thunderstorms. Will you be standing in your yard, arms spread wide and head bent back to revel in the raindrops splashing on your face? Donald.

Actually, last Saturday was the scenario you describe. Out of nowhere and totally unexpected, we had rain for about 3 hrs during the night and yes, many of us were standing outside Saturday morning in the rain - the first measurable precipitation since May. And the high that day was in the low '80s. I had forgotten how comfy that temp can be.

Sorry to say that it was 108* at my house today. We are back in the Truly Awful Heat for the foreseeable future. I don't know which weather service said we would have better temps by the 26th, but our local forecasters say it is literally full steam ahead until September.

All I can think about is escaping to the cool temps of Vancouver and NW Alaska and Russia. I fervently hope that the temps have changed in North Texas by the time I get home.

Just curious - do any of you think we are having weird global weather in the past decade or is it the effect of the e-world which throws everything in our faces constantly?

Ruby

Just curious - do any of you think we are having weird global weather in the past decade or is it the effect of the e-world which throws everything in our faces constantly?

Ruby

Apparently your Governor Perry sees the theory of "Global Warming" as unproven and questionable. Perhaps you should ask him this question. But of course he has escaped to the cooler climate of Iowa.

I know the climate has changed - but whether it is a natural cycle or man-made is debatable.

I remember when I used to go to our winter carnival - always the seond week of the month, I used to have to wrap up in sheepskin boots, coats, layers of jumpers and still froze. In recent years I have even worn a t-shirt!

And has anyone else noticed the months seem to be slipping forward - April is now better than July and August is more like Sept-Oct.