Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

I checked up Wikipedia:

A winter garden is, as the name implies, a garden planted either to produce food, or at least to remain visibly planted and slowly develop, throughout the winter, or else a garden whose plants will serve as living decoration all winter.

I am at a complete loss to understand why the term "winter garden" was usually applied to the first-class forward enclosed promenades of transatlantic liners. Certainly there were a few potted plants, but these were maintained year-round, not just in the winter. Hmm ... !

Donald.

I had to look up your use of the word "inert", which incidentally you did use correctly, according to my Oxford College Dictionary.

I'm much more familiar with its usage in the Explosive Ordnance Disposal field, describing a piece of ordnance or an Improvised Explosive Device that is or has been rendered safe.

I suppose many of us are guilty of seeing a word used in an unfamiliar way, and jumping to the erroneous conclusion that it has been used incorrectly. Not too many people would use the word greensward. I'm surprised that you did not work the word copse into your story.

I didn't know ordnance could be classified as "inert" so I learned something. But seeing that horrendous crash in Acapulco and then realizing that the passengers in the back of the taxi had their heads resting on the back ledge and were not moving was quite alarming. On a better note, you have me laughing about your "greensward" comment.

I checked up Wikipedia: I am at a complete loss to understand why the term "winter garden" was usually applied to the first-class forward enclosed promenades of transatlantic liners. Certainly there were a few potted plants, but these were maintained year-round, not just in the winter. Hmm ... ! Donald.

I sailed few liners that would have a winter garden, altho' Constellation had some kind of trumped up "garden" which was forward. When I saw it listed on the deck plans, I meandered up there and it proved to be a glorified florist shop and quite a poor one at that. Perhaps Conte may have a comment.

Thanks Fran - I shall do my best!! I love Scandinavia, and in winter it is even more magical.

There is a charming article on CNN online which talks about the history of the Christmas markets. The URL is as long as my arm but try this: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/getaways/11/26/europe.christmas.markets/index.html

Ruby

I always admired Churchill standing on the roof of a government building in London during the Blitz, shaking his fist at the bombers as they flew overhead.

Ruby

HI RUBY!!!

Churchill wasn't just shaking his fist...that was his service revolver in his hand...LOL.

ROSS

I checked up Wikipedia:

A winter garden is, as the name implies, a garden planted either to produce food, or at least to remain visibly planted and slowly develop, throughout the winter, or else a garden whose plants will serve as living decoration all winter.

I am at a complete loss to understand why the term "winter garden" was usually applied to the first-class forward enclosed promenades of transatlantic liners. Certainly there were a few potted plants, but these were maintained year-round, not just in the winter. Hmm ... !

Donald.

A winter garden in this country is a conservatory or similar glass construction housing ornamental green plants - a garden that can be used in the winter for promenading etc- hence its use for a first class enclosed promenade We still have a Winter Gardens in my home town. My mother still used the term greensward and as for copse - I used to live in Copse Road!!

Edited by ships cat

The pirates will now know that they are no longer in control of these waters

I can agree with you that the action taken by the Indian Navy is positive but I do not necessarily agree with Donald. I believe that it will take a lot more similar actions for them to understand that it wouldn't work any more and just isn't the cost of doing business.

Fran

What I meant to say was that the pirates now know that they no longer control the waters with impunity. They know that there are starting to be consequences now that the merchant marine is taking precautions and the navies are patrolling in these waters.

Donald, Please understand that what I said was not a personal attack. Yes they needed to be challenged and like you I am glad they were. They should be continually challenged until they give up for lack of having it pay.

Fran

Latest press reports indicate the China is going to send units of its Navy to the Gulf of Aden to assist in combatting the piracy.

That actually is major news, as the Communist Chinese Navy to date has been relegated to regional waters, and has not deployed to foreign areas. More major perhaps than the Russian Navy's recent deployment to the Caribbean, and its transiting of the Panama Canal.

Edited by Druke I

This morning's newspaper explained why the Communist Chinese are patrolling these waters: "A fifth of the more than 1,200 Chinese vessels that have passed through the Gulf of Aden this year have been attacked, seven have been hijacked, and one fishing vessel and its 18 crew are still being held."

Donald.

Hi everyone - I'm back...again. We had a lovely time and Scandinavia is just lovely at Christmas. I guess for those that live in Canada, it won't look quite so special but for us Britis this is a magical scene.

DSC_0033.JPG

Edited by ships cat

Welcome back, Ships Cat! Great to know that you enjoyed Scandinavia at this time of year.

As for snow, right now Vancouver is having a rare snowfall. This morning I took this photograph from my apartment. Last Friday our temperature dropped to 15.2C (4.6F) which was the coldest since 1969. Vancouver normally doesn't get these kind of low temperatures. The forecast is for one more week of such weather. Ugh!

You will notice that the street is blocked off by fences. The section of the street in front of my apartment building has been closed for the past three years for the construction of the underground Canada Line rapid transit system from the downtown area to the airport. One of the stations will be right beside my home. That certainly will be very convenient for when I need to go to the airport to go to sunny climes for cruises. :)

The Canada Line system will be active near the end of 2009, in time for the Winter Olympics.

z2008_1221_snow2.jpg

Great photo. That is VERY cold Kapricorn. Luckily Oslo was having a heatwave when we arrived - +1C! It had been -12 two days before we arrived. Living by the sea it is rare for us to get snow, although many parts of the UK had it a couple of weeks ago. Nicer to see it from a ship though.

Edited by ships cat

What a wonderful way to start our Christmas week with all the lovely photos of snow. This winter seems to be knee-deep in icy, white merriment for many of our friends. I will amuse all you northerners by saying that, if we have a few flakes of sleet or snow, the entire North Texas area shuts down. However, many times this fall and winter we have had all four seasons in a 24-hour period - 71* during the day then 24* at night. Yeeeehawww!

Ships cat - It's loverly to see your photos and welcome home from a geographically beautiful cruise. I have a question - you mentioned before you left that you were working on a book, packing, busy, busy before your Christmas cruise - would you like to share with us what the "book" reference meant?

Donald - how do you do that?!!! You walk out of your apartment and get on a ship, soon you will walk out of your apartment and take a train to the airport! Arrrggghhhh! I am sooo envious!

Ruby