Capt. larry

jspirit

Yes he does charge. I don't remember the exact price but it is around the same price as the shuttle. You will want to go from whale watching to Mendenhall (and not back to DT and then Mendenhall) because you will save a lot of time that way. Auke Bay and Mendenhall are near each other, quite a a bit distance from the downtown area.

As Coral mentioned, I believe he does charge. Also, as a result of another (related) thread here, I've learned that the shuttles usually stop running at 5 or 6pm. I wouldn't recommend being dropped there unless it's well before 5pm (want to have time to explore and wander) or you've made advance arrangements for a taxi or other shuttle to pick you up.

Honestly, I've never thought there was much of a difference between a nice ride from Auke Bay to downtown vs. stopping at the Glacier on the way. I sure can't think of any extra expenses that a business would incur when dropping part of the group along the way. I think all tours should include this as an option.

-Case

on a bigger bus, you would have the problem that someone would get ticked that they have to ride up to mendenhall when they don't want to.

you just can't please everyone. i think they arrange for another bus to take the ones that want to go to mendenhall, so they don't have to hold up the ones that need to get back to their ship or want to shop.

Capt Larry's charge included a voucher for a ride back to town on one of the shuttles.

And yes - the times I have went, they have used 2 vans. One for those who go to Mendenhall and one that goes directly back to town.

So if we have a 3pm tour scheduled with Capt. Larry would it make sense to be dropped off at Mendenhall or not? We'll be there at the end of June so there should be plenty of daylight.

Ok dumb question but here goes, how would you go about pre-booking a taxi to pick you up? I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a taxi and they've always been in places where you just reached your hand into the air and someone magically appeared :o .

Thanks!

We arranged with Capt. Larry to be taken to Mendenhall prior to our trip with him. They will pick us up there at the appropriate time and then return us to the ship after whale watching. They are charging us $6/person and will either take us themselves or arrange for other transportation. The charge is because although Mendenhall is in the same direction as Auke Bay it is a a little out of the way from the direct route so there is the extra charge. It makes sense though not to go back into town twice.

So if we have a 3pm tour scheduled with Capt. Larry would it make sense to be dropped off at Mendenhall or not? We'll be there at the end of June so there should be plenty of daylight.

Ok dumb question but here goes, how would you go about pre-booking a taxi to pick you up? I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a taxi and they've always been in places where you just reached your hand into the air and someone magically appeared :o .

Thanks!

A 3pm tour will put you back at the dock around 6...maybe a bit later. There will be plenty of daylight, but if the shuttles stop running at 5:30 or 6:30, you won't have that option for your return to town. If you're already in port prior to your tour, you could shuttle out to the glacier BEFORE the whale tour - Orca can usually pick you up there when the tour is about to start. Either that, or have a taxi (or other ride) pre-arranged...

The "dumb question" isn't so dumb. Growing up here, I've only ever known that you pick up a phone and CALL for a taxi. I was 18 and stuck in Seattle once... I asked a waiter to call me a cab and he thought I was nuts. There were 20 or so lined up outside! Each cab company in Juneau does "time calls". Your tour operator should be able to place a cab reservation for you well in advance of your arrival in Juneau. Sort of like a car service, but it's just a taxi showing up at a convenient place at a scheduled time.

Most of the smaller charter operators don't run a van or bus to haul their tours around like Orca, JSF, Allen Marine, etc.... We work very closely with the cab companies, and put all of our pre-booked reservations into a timed taxi schedule and let the local cabbies do our pickups and dropoffs.

-Case

The "dumb question" isn't so dumb. Growing up here, I've only ever known that you pick up a phone and CALL for a taxi. I was 18 and stuck in Seattle once... I asked a waiter to call me a cab and he thought I was nuts. There were 20 or so lined up outside! Each cab company in Juneau does "time calls". Your tour operator should be able to place a cab reservation for you well in advance of your arrival in Juneau. Sort of like a car service, but it's just a taxi showing up at a convenient place at a scheduled time.

Most of the smaller charter operators don't run a van or bus to haul their tours around like Orca, JSF, Allen Marine, etc.... We work very closely with the cab companies, and put all of our pre-booked reservations into a timed taxi schedule and let the local cabbies do our pickups and dropoffs.

-Case

Case - thanks so much!! You guys are so helpful!!! It really makes planning this trip sooo much easier :D I have printed your advice and when I am actually booking the whale watching (hopefully next week) I will now know to ask about the taxi arrangement!

Thanks again!

Case - thanks so much!! You guys are so helpful!!! It really makes planning this trip sooo much easier :D I have printed your advice and when I am actually booking the whale watching (hopefully next week) I will now know to ask about the taxi arrangement!

Thanks again!

I guess in all fairness you should be sure to ask about who pays for the taxi fare. It can be $30 or more just in cab fare. Some tours will include that fare in the price since the glacier really is on the way. Some tours will include one stop, but getting from the glacier or the hatchery to downtown is your dime... I've always hated hidden fees!

-Case

I guess in all fairness you should be sure to ask about who pays for the taxi fare. It can be $30 or more just in cab fare. Some tours will include that fare in the price since the glacier really is on the way. Some tours will include one stop, but getting from the glacier or the hatchery to downtown is your dime... I've always hated hidden fees!

-Case

Oh, of course! I would not have expected NOT to pay the cab fare. I just was unsure of how to go about arranging it and if they do/can/will handle the arranging I certainly will do the paying :D

When I recently made Capt. Larry reservations for 3 p.m., they suggested that if I want to see Mendenhall, I let them know via e-mail the day before or even the day of, and they'll shuttle us from the dock to Mendenhall and then pick us up at Mendenhall for the whale watching. If we wait until afterwards, the shuttles won't be running and the visitors' center might be closed.(Our cruise is in Juneau from 1:30-10.)

We are taking the whale watching with Capt Larry first thing in the morning and have arranged for him to drop us off at Mendenhall glasier on the way back. He told me it would be $12.00 each for the two of us. I'm assuming (and you know what that means) that he will give us 2 vouchers for the shuttle bus back to the docks.

When I recently made Capt. Larry reservations for 3 p.m., they suggested that if I want to see Mendenhall, I let them know via e-mail the day before or even the day of, and they'll shuttle us from the dock to Mendenhall and then pick us up at Mendenhall for the whale watching. If we wait until afterwards, the shuttles won't be running and the visitors' center might be closed.(Our cruise is in Juneau from 1:30-10.)

Unfortunately our ship doesn't arrive in Juneau until 1pm so there really isn't enough time to see Mendenhall before the cruise. I'm kind of bummed to know that even though there is plenty of daylight left that they close Mendenhall down so early :( I guess we'll just have to wait until another time.

I'm kind of bummed to know that even though there is plenty of daylight left that they close Mendenhall down so early :( I guess we'll just have to wait until another time.

Few people go into the Visitor Center - you can see the glacier, go hiking or whatever else you want to do whether it's open or not.

Unfortunately our ship doesn't arrive in Juneau until 1pm so there really isn't enough time to see Mendenhall before the cruise. I'm kind of bummed to know that even though there is plenty of daylight left that they close Mendenhall down so early :( I guess we'll just have to wait until another time.

As Murray said, the Glacier is still worth seeing as long as you have daylight and port time. Also, if you're going whale watching or fishing, there is a GREAT view of Mendenhall from the North end of Douglas Island. Be sure to ask your captain for a good view of the glacier while you're on your tour (it's right on the way in to the marina...)

-Case

Archived