Dress for the Specialty Restaurants

CajunLiner

I'm sure these questions have been asked many, many times before, but I'm not having luck with the search feature.

What is the dress code for the Specialty Restaurants on the M Class? Is it the same as the ship's nightly dress code or is it informal or formal? When is a good night to go? I was thinking that the first informal night would be good.

How about the menu? Does it change or is it the same for every night of the cruise?

Justin

Hello Justin/Donna.

Its formal on formal nights and informal on other nights. Any informal night is good (3 nights in a tux is enough ;) ). The formal nights usually have pretty special things going on.

Looking to see you and the kids on Infinity.

Our December cruise on Millennium was the first cruise on which the dress for the specialty restaurant was the same as it was throughout the ship. In other words, formal on formal nights, informal on informal nights and casual (yes, casual) on casual nights. The maitre d' told us the change would eventually be fleetwide.

Hi Lynn, nope. The night I ate there on Millennium both couples

on each side of our table had casual clothes on. Neither man

wore a jacket.

Our table chose to dress up anyway but you could see the

various degrees of dress in the restaurant.

We just received an e-mail confirmation for our reservations for OceanLiners on the Constellation and it stated that "Jacket is required in the Speciality Restaurant and a tux or dark suit with a tie is required on formal nights". I also asked the Captain's Club lady and was told that dress is always "informal" (jacket) in OceanLiners except if it is formal night, then the proper attire is required.

We figured the 3rd night would be "informal" especially since it is at sea - I have never been on a cruise where a day at sea is "casual" - that is for the port days usually. The 1st night is casual, 2nd night formal and 3rd night informal (this is what I was told).

Canuck

Canuck, the change in the dress policy for the specialty restaurants

might only be on Millennium at this point.

I enjoy dressing up anyway. It really is

like a 5***** restuarant.:)

We just received an e-mail confirmation for our reservations for OceanLiners on the Constellation and it stated that "Jacket is required in the Speciality Restaurant and a tux or dark suit with a tie is required on formal nights". I also asked the Captain's Club lady and was told that dress is always "informal" (jacket) in OceanLiners except if it is formal night, then the proper attire is required.
I hope they've changed back to that policy. However, On our recent New Year's cruise Ocean Liners' clearly stated policy was to adhere to the dress code of the night. Sam, our Maitre d', told me it was a change imposed on the fleet from above.

Maybe it varies ship to ship? DH was going to wear a jacket anyway but I was unsure if I wanted to be overdressed (in a semi-formal outfit) if everyone else was casual-lol. But, I think we picked the right night as it is supposed to be "informal" anyway. I must stop reading the menu for OceanLiners as I drool everytime thinking about the goat cheese souffle - sounds wonderful:D

Canuck

Regardless of what "official" night it is, we always dress formal and usually aim to go on a casual night. DH always wears his kilt and I either normally wear a cocktail dress, though I have worn a full length dress on occassions and never felt out of place because of the formal ambience of the restaurant. I am sure if you over dress rather than under dress to the official dress code you will be ok.

We got the confirmation for our reservation at the Century's Murano next week. Take it for what it's worth--this is what it said:

Note: The maximum table size is six guests per table. Guests will be charged the $30.00 USD per person fee onboard at the time of dining. Guests must be age twelve and older to dine in the Specialty Restaurant. Jacket is required in the Specialty Restaurant and a tux or dark suit with a tie is required on formal nights. The Dining experience onboard is approximately two-and-a-half to three hours. Additional Specialty Restaurant reservations may be booked once onboard and reservations are on a first come, first serve basis.

IMRE, the "policy" was not enforced in the specialty restaurant any more than in the main dining room. I saw more offenders than ever before on X in Nov. on Century.

What a shame. It is so easy to at least where a coat over an open short sleeve shirt. The waiters are all in a tux. Why would anyone want to spoil the atmosphere?

The 2 times we dined in the Normandie my husband adhered to the dress code which was sport coat (first time) and tux (second time). We had planned this last time on the 3rd night being "informal" as we were on our way to Hawaii and thought the formal night was the next night. Wrong! Since our reservations were already made we went in all of our formal glamor with all the men in tuxes.

Also we rec'd the message about only 6 to a table but when we arrived, they had set the table for 8 so we could all dine together. It was no more crowded than your average wedding table. The tables are very spacious and they do allow you plenty of room. Since the food is served to you from sideboards, there are no other plates on the table except the one you are eating from.

The goat cheese appetizer is divine. But beware, it is very rich and you may feel full afterwards. It does take away any desire for the cheese course. Which may be a good thing.

Had dinner in Murano on Century this past Wednesday. Most men wore jackets. It was casual night and I wore a nice silk shirt and slacks. I was not out of place at all. I would go with a solid or subdued pattern though. One gent was in a very loud and colorful shirt and it seemed just a bit out of place.

Archived