T-shirt question

aaerobear

Here is a good question for you.....I will give you a couple days to figure the answer then drop the bomb on you.

Have you ever bought a Celebrity Cruises t-shirt? You know, the kind that had "Celebrity Cruises" embroidered on the pocket and underneath is a series of nautical signal flags.

Well, here is the question does anyone know what those flags spell out????

I do and it is a shocker.

More in a day or two

Ed

years ago, I was at a large eastern university and bought a t-shirt for my (then) girl friend. It had the name of the school on the Chinese writing going down the left.

The cashier who rang up the purchase was a young Asian woman, and she started to giggle. I asked her what was so funny, and she told me that the Chinese characters did not say the school's name. It said, basically, "Take a bath." You know I went forward with that purchase!

So, I anxously await the translation of the "flags," and I will not be surprised, as the t-shirt designers do sometimes have a sense of humor.

RB

BINGO!!!! A big "atta boy" for "Cruz nTom"

It says Carnival and what a shock. I am sure the folks at RCCL will de totally deoghted to hear that. I am sending the shirt to the Pres/CEO of Celebrity with no translation and see what happens. It has to be some kind of joke or maybe just plain laziness by the Celebrity folk to let that kind of thing happen.

Ed

I guess that's what you get for spending your money. I have T-shirts that Celebrity gives as prizes for trivia, etc [no pocket] but it does say "Celebrity X Cruises" and has 9 signal flags that spell out "Celebrity" [i pulled one out of the drawer to check]. I'll have to check out what they sell in the gift shop on my next cruise...

aaerobear or anyone...

is it possible for you to put the flag pics on this site...i would like to see how you translated it

thanks,

*sweet*

If you google "Nautical flag translations" you get a number of sites including http://www.torresen.com/codefl.htm which allow you to enter anything in Roman alphabet and then gives the result in nautical flags. http://www.ecophotoexplorers.com/MarineSignalFlags.asp [among others] shows the flags in alphabetical order so that you can translate from flags to Roman alphabet.

aaerobear or anyone...

is it possible for you to put the flag pics on this site...i would like to see how you translated it

thanks,

*sweet*

If you google "Nautical flag translations" you get a number of sites including http://www.torresen.com/codefl.htm which allow you to enter anything in Roman alphabet and then gives the result in nautical flags. http://www.ecophotoexplorers.com/MarineSignalFlags.asp [among others] shows the flags in alphabetical order so that you can translate from flags to Roman alphabet.

• 1 month later...

Well, here is the letter I sent to Celebrity

Mr. Dan Hanrahan, President

Celebrity Cruises Inc.

1080 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL, 33132

Dear Mr. Hanrahan

My name is Ed xxxxxx and I am a frequent cruiser with several cruise lines. I was on the Horizon in Dec/Jan 2004/5 and I purchased the enclosed t-shirt. I love the t-shirt and have worn it many times.

In late December I was invited to a Holiday BBQ and wore the t-shirt (well it was red and it was the holiday season) The BBQ was thrown by a friend of mine who is a real sea-nut and knows all about cruises and ships and navigation. He also owns a big sailboat here in the Bay Area.

When my friend saw my t-shirt, he started laughing. I asked him why he was laughing and he asked me if I knew what the signal flags spelled. I said I didn’t know and asked him to tell me. He took me into his den and showed me a chart of signal flags and we spelled out what the flags said. Well, needless to say we were both roaring when we saw what it spelled.

I was wondering if you knew. I was also wondering if it was some sort of a joke to see if people would catch it. The worst case scenario would be a cruel joke played on Celebrity by an employee or distributor. But, I am very curious to know. (I also want the t-shirt back)

I am sailing on Celebrity again on the Millennium in March (transatlantic 3/18-4/02) and will be checking the signature items in the gift shop to see what they spell out as well. Sounds kinda fun anyway.

Thanks for running a great cruise line (no, make that an awesome cruise line) and also providing me with a new hobby (checking those pesky flags every time).

Yesterday I got a call from Mr Hanrhans office. They thanked me for bringing it to their attention and said the problem "was being taken care of" they also said they were returning my shirt asap and were also including a package of gifts from Celebrity. We will see.

Ed

Well, I asked about the "mistake" and it was sort of "glossed over" I am sure they were major pxxxxd off, and were dealing with the suppliers but they sort of just shrugged it off. Of course, in my letter, I did NOT tell them what it spelled out, so they had to some research on their own.

Just pulled out a shirt we got in Jan/Feb Mercury cruise--it says Celebrity in the flags--although they are showing red/gold for the R--which should be blue/gold--but the rest of the flags are correct...maybe it is a new batch..

This is too funny.

I just went upstairs to look at my RCI shirt. I have no idea how old it is.

It has the C & A in the middle flanked by 2 sailors on each side holding the same 3 flags:

Bravo

I am taking on, discharging, or carrying dangerous cargo

Quebec

Ship meets health regulations; request clearance into port

Oscar

Man overboard

:eek:

The configuration is wrong for the "O" though but it is half red and half yellow. "O" would be diagonal.

Maybe they meant it to be the half & half to be white & red denoting

Hotel

I have a pilot on board

Maybe we all better check anything we own that sports signal flags.

Proper for drunks:

Delta

I am maneuvering with difficulty; keep clear

Foxtrot

I am disabled, communicate with me

Golf

I require a pilot

Mother's with toddlers:

Yankee

I am dragging anchor

Victor

I require assistance (not distress)

Party:

Kilo

I wish to communicate with you

Uniform

You are standing into danger

Xray

Stop carrying out your intentions and watch for my signals

This is just too funny!! Made me go and get out my shirt which I won for the limbo competition on last year's cruise......... mine is correct with 'Celebrity' on it. Wonder when they figured out the error????? :D

Archived