Dogsled/Glacier Excursion - Skagway

CruisingAlaska2007

My husband and I are attempting to plan our excursion for our Alaska cruise on Carnival in June. There are so many things we want to do - just not enough time to do everything. We have been contemplating the Dogsled and Glacier Excursion in Skagway that Carnival offers on their website. It is very expensive but says that you get to mush the dogs or ride in a sled (your choice). Has anyone done this excursion? I tried to book with an independent tour, but they were already booked up and said that we should attempt to book something with the cruiseline. Any thoughts? Is it worth the high pricetag? Thanks!

We did that same type of tour back in 2000. We were on RCCL and booked through an independent company and it was still $330. But I have to say it was worth every penny. That's one thing about Alaska, you are going to be doing things that you may never get a chance to experience again in your life. There were five of us including my dd who was 4 at the time. She literally screamed with delight when the dogs took us across the snow and she will NEVER forget getting to hold the puppies. If you can afford it, even if you have to put it on the credit card and pay for it as you can it is worth it. You also get the bonus of a helicopter ride that shows you the sights. I remember we flew right over our ship and that was quite a sight from the air. Good luck. Linda

Out of Skagway this is operated by TEMSCO. Perhaps they have some independent bookings available with some cost savings??

For clairfication, you do NOT "mush" your own sled, you will be in tantum behind a driver. You can sit in the basket or ride the breaks. They may allow you to repeat some commands but not a given.

Soccermom - I don't know if you can do it without the helicopter ride because they fly you to the dog camps and land you there. So you would have to check if there is another way to get there. I'm not too fond of the helicopters either, because it is a kind of vulnerable feeling. But I find that if I just concentrate on the scenery and DON'T THINK ABOUT IT - I'm ok. In fact we took a Hawaii cruise last year and I was able to fly over the volcanos in a helicopter. My dd even got a little scared at first and I talked her through it and she loved it! So get your nerve up and go for it!! You won't be sorry!

This is what we want to do in Skagway also. Is there a way to do dog sledding or mushing without taking a helicopter ride? I'm not sure my DD or I can handle the helicopter part-we are big chickens!

Nope, not if you want snow. If you would be happy with a cart and gravel, there is a Skagway and Carcross option. Seward also.

Archived