Air to New Zealand/Austraila

ArizonaRalphie

We are toying with the idea of a Princess Cruise of New/Zealand in February of 2008. How about the air fare. Princess will book it from Las Vegas at $1600. I'm not much into booking air through the cruise line but since we would fly into Auckland and out of Sydney, it seems the practical thing to do, plus it would be covered under the travel insurance, if we decide to go that way.

I could probably save a few bucks by booking my own air on two seperate airlines but that seems to be much more complicated.

Any suggestions?

I could probably save a few bucks by booking my own air on two seperate airlines but that seems to be much more complicated.
You wouldn't need to. You could either book a round-trip ticket that takes you to Auckland and home from Sydney, or if it was cheaper you could book a round-trip to/from Auckland and buy the single Sydney-Auckland sector separately.

We had great success with booking flights to Sydney and back from Auckland with Qantas. They were friendly and helpful with the logistics. We did have to find our own way to LAX, though.

I see you're leaving for the Tahitian Princess in a few days. We've done that one twice in the past 3 years and had a blast each time. Hope you have fun.

Pat

We are toying with the idea of a Princess Cruise of New/Zealand in February of 2008. How about the air fare. Princess will book it from Las Vegas at $1600. I'm not much into booking air through the cruise line but since we would fly into Auckland and out of Sydney, it seems the practical thing to do, plus it would be covered under the travel insurance, if we decide to go that way.

Any suggestions?

We have family in Australia so we get back there every few years. We've always flown United or Air New Zealand. My wife flew Quantas befor we were married. Our favorite is Air NZ. What you need is called an open jaw round trip ticket. You can do it with miles (if you have enough) or purchase. Your TA might be able to find a consolidator fare. Also, February is late summer/early fall there so you should miss the peak fare season. You generally cannot book more than 11 months in advance so about all you can do now is research current fares and fare sales. Check the site goway.com. They do a lot of South pacific packages and also offer air only. Enjoy you trip down under. :)

Cheers, Ian

We booked through our TA in Canada to LAX to Auckland and then Sydney to LAX to DTW. We flow NWA and Qantas and it was great. It cost $1801 each.

We thought that was a very good cost. We sat in row 70 2 seats at the window, lots of room. If do we do that flight again we will try for those seats.

Hey there, you should consider getting into our group pool.. I have 20 people and we are awaiting our group fares when the flight and fare schedules are released. It will be sometime in mid-March. That 1,600 is standard with the cruiseline (Princess).

PinkSuit - Australia/New Zealand 2/2/08

Any suggestions?

We're heading out on the same route in a few weeks! I was able to book a multi-city flight through Orbitz for about the same amount Princess was quoting. The problem I had with Princess is that they wouldn't tell me what time a day I would be leaving, how many stopovers I would have and what airline I would be flying on. It's also nearly impossible to coordinate anything with friends. We're from Seattle, our friends who booked with Princess have to fly out of Seattle early in the day to Vancouver Canada wait 4 hours and fly straight to Sydney. We're flying to LAX out of Seattle in the early evening with 3 hour layover (enough safety time) then on to Sydney and we'll be arriving about 30 minutes behind them, so you can see what I mean. They won't tell you anything about your flight for at least 24 hours! That's what they told me. You have plenty of time to shop for flights so just keep your eyes open. If all else fails you can always book with Princess later.

Hey there, you should consider getting into our group pool.. I have 20 people and we are awaiting our group fares when the flight and fare schedules are released. It will be sometime in mid-March. That 1,600 is standard with the cruiseline (Princess).

PinkSuit - Australia/New Zealand 2/2/08

Please keep us advised. Two in our group are having problems since they failed to opt for the TA's package when we first signed up. Now they're faced with a penalty of several hundred dollars.:(

Archived