trip insurance - pre-existing conditions?

Emmabelle

I just booked my in-laws on the NCL Majesty - Boston to Bermuda on the May 27th cruise. I'm sure they need to get insurance since they are 72 and 75, how soon do you have to purchase insurance to be covered for pre-existing conditions. My father-in-law has taken medication for angina for 35 years so if god forbid he had a problem prior to the cruise I want to make sure that they are covered. I would go through Insuremytrip.com.

Thanks!

I would do it right away. From what I have been told it it isn't done right away a pre-existing condition may not be covered. If his angina has been stable for the past year he may be covered anyways. I would call the insurance company and ask them.

I just booked my in-laws on the NCL Majesty - Boston to Bermuda on the May 27th cruise. I'm sure they need to get insurance since they are 72 and 75, how soon do you have to purchase insurance to be covered for pre-existing conditions. My father-in-law has taken medication for angina for 35 years so if god forbid he had a problem prior to the cruise I want to make sure that they are covered. I would go through Insuremytrip.com.

Thanks!

You need to do it as soon as possible. Depending on the company, you only have a set time from when you purchase the cruise to buy the insurance. And be sure to ask if it includes pre-existing conditions.

Paul

I just went to Insuremytrip.com and one of the policies I looked at which seemed like a good price to me, $134 for both of them for a seven night cruise, had to be purchased within 14 days of the first payment and they would waive the pre-existing clause. I called my in-laws to tell them and my FIL assured me that he was in perfect health and didn't need to worry about pre-existing issues. :eek: I'll let my husband handle this one, their his parents. ;)

Tell your father-in-law that it is crazy not to be covered for pre-existing conditions. It costs no more to do so. You just need to buy the insurance a bit sooner. At their age they would be crazy to travel w/o insurance and w/o pre-existing conditions being covered.

I just booked my in-laws on the NCL Majesty - Boston to Bermuda on the May 27th cruise. I'm sure they need to get insurance since they are 72 and 75, how soon do you have to purchase insurance to be covered for pre-existing conditions? Thanks!

Hi Emmabelle,

You either have to buy the trip insurance within a certain number of days after you make the initial deposit for most policies or no later than 24 hours after you pay the scheduled final payment. You have to insure 100% of your prepaid trip cost and meet other rules.

It's likely your in-laws have no pre-existing conditions because the "pre-existing condition lookback period" defines what constitutes a pre-existing condition.

Go to www.google.com and search for "pre-existing condition lookback period". You'll find some good information that'll help you figure things out.

I hope this helps.

Archived