Schplinky's Westerdam Review - Part Three - Still LONG

Schplinky

We decided to check out the pools and the like so we headed first to the aft pool, which was just above our room. It is a nice pool and is very quiet. There are rows of chairs and this was perhaps the easier pool of the two at which to get a chair. The chairs in this area are the standard canvas pool chairs (as opposed to the padded ones by the main pool). There was also an area above this area for seating but we prefer to be near the pool for frequent dips in order to cool off. This area was packed during the sea day, and on the first few days of the cruise neither show was working and both were taped off with that tape they use to sequester crime scenes and fresh paint. Neither seemed to be the case here so I’m not sure why they were unavailable. There is a bar in this area and it is perhaps one of the easiest places onboard to get a drink. The servers are omnipresent but not too pushy on Westerdam. We did find they try like mad on that first day and half to sell you a coke card (even if you’re not ordering pop) but they do take no for an answer. Some folks refer to this as an adults-only space but we saw no signs indicating it. No matter, there were so few children onboard that you would truly have to be a grinch to begrudge the one or two present a chance to have a dip in the aft pool.

The main pool has the nicest deck chairs we have sat on at sea. They are padded and comfortable and tempt you to sleep. It’s too bad there are only a couple of rows of seats by the pool but the rest of the area is taken up with dining tables. I think the magrodome (the sliding glass roof) is a great idea for a ship that travels to so many climes but I think that it leaves the pool feeling very closed in. This pool felt like the secondary or solarium pool on most other ships. The food by the pool is a nice touch, though. The guacamole and chips were quite good and we had those a few times instead of lunch or because we’d had a late breakfast and didn’t want to ruin dinner. They play pop music very loudly at this pool. I think it was the loudest music we’ve ever heard piped in on a cruise. If it is an attempt to appeal to us (a younger demographic), then it fell on the wrong ears. Also, one day someone will have to explain to me why the loudest people on the ship tend to marinate in the hot-tubs while speaking so loudly that you would not want to sunbathe anywhere nearby. This is true of all lines and is just an observation.

They did run pool games while we were onboard a great deal. They had a golf putting game into life preservers in the pool, they sailed made-up boats in a regatta in the pool, they held pool-side beach chair bingo and there were two rounds of wet and wild pool games (which we skipped so I cannot report on). There was also a free throw competition and a volleyball tournament on the sports deck and a rubber chicken toss in the atrium (I was speechless). I was told that HAL had very few activities that involved a member of the activities staff and a microphone but that is not the case on Westerdam. These didn’t bother us but we didn’t make a point of attending them either. There must be a basketball nut on the staff, too, because I’ve never seen so many free throw contests scheduled.

In general, the activity schedule was very light, especially if you didn’t play cards or board games. One thing we noticed, compare to larger ships we have sailed, was that often, there was one thing happening and if that didn’t interest you, you sort of had to make your own fun or wait until the next hour or so. Also, I think calling “sign a board game out from the library” an activity on an already thin schedule is pretty weak. We were warned before we came on Hal that there wouldn’t be all that much going on that didn’t involve a fee but it was particularly striking once we were onboard how true this was.

One activity we did really enjoy that is hard to find on some ships is the kitchen tour. We have begged and pleaded on RCL and X to no avail to see the kitchens. On HAL, it was a scheduled activity and was a great walk-through. I will scan the information sheets and post a link later but I can say now that it was really neat to see all the galleys in the kitchen. They have a line for each entrée, a galley for room service and one for the Pinnacle Grill and concierge lounge. Very cool and very nice of the chef to allow folks to enter.

We took advantage of the opportunity of boarding early to sign up for the cooking lesson. There were only 7 in our group (the other lesson that week had 15) and I suspect the reason for this was that it didn’t seem to be listed anywhere. You essentially had to know to ask. The fee was $29 and included copies of the recipes you make and the apron you wear. I was surprised how few people washed their hands at the start (maybe they did that before arriving) but I had read online that you don’t get to eat the food you’ve actually prepared anyway so I didn’t worry.

We had the chef from the Pinnacle supervising us. We were not so much taught how to cook as we were assigned dishes to prepare and set free to do it. They treated us to some champagne as we cooked but it was all a little disorganised and there were not enough utensils. We did meet some nice people but I was a little frightened when the chef announced that yes, we would be eating our own food (and the dishes of others). We had made seared scallops over an avocado salad, while the other groups made a quesadilla of zucchini and jack cheese and the dessert team made a cake with hazelnuts. The meal was delicious but somehow I had expected the experience to last longer than an hour. By the time we finished (around 10 a.m.), I had eaten my second meal in two hours, having rushed a breakfast to get there in time. It was a fun activity but I doubt I would do it again. It was one of the few times of the week that Mike and I were sniping at each other to do stuff, mostly because it was not well organized and we were both trying to get our dish done in time.

An activity that I did like and found very meaningful was the On Deck for the Cure Event. Folks could register for $15 and then walk 5km (9 laps of the promenade deck) in honour or memory of a loved one with breast cancer. My mother has had breast cancer twice, losing a breast each time and it was moving to see about 125 people come out for the walk, despite it being scheduled very early in the morning on a sea day. They asked those who had been affected by breast cancer, through either a family member or a friend, to raise their hand. That meant almost everyone had his or her hand in the air. Then, they asked the survivors to raise their hand and there were nearly 15. It was an emotional moment as they were applauded. The walk was fun (I listened to a book on my iPod) and they served pink lemonade afterward, although it was all gone by the time I finished (in about the middle of the pack). I don’t know if this was a larger group than normal but they ran out of most of the shirt sizes, too. I was given a medium, which was as close to XL as they had (I prefer t-shirts to be baggy but this one clung). Since they run the walk every week, it was surprising how few supplies they had on hand. We also received pink wristbands, which I’m going to send to my mom to let her know I did the walk.

The promenade is nice on Westerdam, with wooden chairs and teak. While the promenade wraps all the way around, you cannot see off from all directions on your walk sine the front is enclosed. It is also fluorescent-ly lit at nighttime so brightly that it ruins whatever romance of being on the water there might be. I suppose they do this to assist those who are not so sure-footed but other lines seem to manage more subdued lighting at night.

We went to the Piano Bar one evening for the TV trivia. We guessed 33 of the 40 shows correctly and won a round of drinks. What is more surprising was that the next day, we were on deck and one of the waitresses from that bar came up to us and called us by name. That’s quite a gift of memory, I think.

We wandered past the art area one night and played a game we have, which is to find any piece that you would actually want to own. With all apologies to those who like the auctions, I think the art they sell at sea could only be sold with free champagne or at a flea market. They call it collectible and then cart it around the ship, leaving it stacked in corridors five paintings deep. I am truly stunned at the amount of art they sell onboard. Do people really bring hundreds of extra dollars in case there is some faux baroque painting of angels they’ve always wanted?

I noticed one painting that looked familiar and was impressed at the length to which the dealer could speak on the piece. He pulled out a reference book and was able to show us the progression of the artist’s work. To be honest, I was surprised as I have always found these auctioneers to be akin to snake oil salesman but this guy clearly knew his stuff.

In terms of other retail, the stores seem to sell all the same stuff (watches, jewellery, liquor, t-shirts, perfume) that the other ships do. The only real difference seems to be how much or little space they have to do it in. Westerdam had a few neat gift items including an egg shaped travel clock with a ship floating in it. It was aggravating, though, how much of the gift wear was not priced. One tip I would give here is that if you’re going to buy postcards, buy them the first day. They were sold out of Grand Turk post cards by the end of the first sea day and we could find none in port to buy, either, except some that were really just re-prints of snapshots selling on the pier for a buck each.

They ran bingo a lot but the jackpot didn’t seem to climb all that much so I don’t think many people were playing it. We didn’t go to this activity but it was being held in smallish venues so I don’t think it was crowded until the end. There were always announcements when it was about to begin.

They listed a premium wine tasting in the program as having a nominal fee but the fee was $35. That seems more than nominal to me but I do know there were some appetizers served, also. I like wine tastings but that was too rich for my blood.

We did go to the Pinnacle Grill one night. It was a small restaurant that primarily acts as a steak house. Having dined in the specialty rooms on RCL and X, we expected this to be a treat but we found ourselves missing the food in the dining room. Our experience with Celebrity was that the specialty room was the food highlight of the cruise but this was not the case at the Pinnacle. Really, how creative do steaks and sides get, anyway? The service was competent but certainly was neither warm nor overly formal. On RCL and Celebrity, this meal would have taken a couple of hours but we were in and out almost as quickly as if we had eaten in the main dining room. The desserts were great and I had a chocolate volcano with Grand Marnier cream, I believe. I was really was struck by how exactly like Chops on RCL this was, right down to their rolling a cart of uncooked meat out as a visual aid to the menu. Even then, there are flourishes at Chops and the main dining room on RCL that were not present here. For instance, if you leave the table to go to the washroom, they refold your napkin or replace it with a fresh one if it is soiled. Here, you would return to the table to find your napkin exactly where you left it. It’s a small think but those are the sort of things that add up over a cruise.

The art in the Pinnacle Grill was a mural of food that reminded me of a cafeteria in a nice department store in the 70’s. At $30 per person, we expected more. The room was never more than a third full while we were there so I think they are going to have to rethink the fee increase. I also would not want to eat in the dining area that is in the atrium. Paying a premium only to be watching folks walk by all through the meal would not be my idea of a good situation. If we sailed HAL again, I would skip the specialty room altogether. The food I the Dining Room is equal to what they are serving here.

Up next, general impression of the line as a premium line, the staff and fellow passengers.

Thanks for the review. My partner and I leave for the Westerdam in a couple of weeks. I agree about the Pinnacle Grill, the past two cruises we have eaten in it- but this cruise we don't plan to. Pleased to hear that the dining room food held up.

Once again, totally entertained. No way will I follow you with a review:D

I need someone to refresh MY memory...but I know the wine tasting on the "O" was NOT $35. I didn't go because I was doing the cooking class, but I would not have even considered it either for $35. I think it was $25 or less.

Liked your pool review. I couldn't agree with you more on the Lido pool. And by the way, even with the roof closed...it's COLD. So..what's the point???

Winning TV Trivia= a free round of drinks beats some of the trivia prizes.

Now all I have to do is find me a TV SONG Trivia contest and they might have to hand me the lampshade.:)

It was theme songs. We were weak on the older songs but kicked butt on anything since 1970.

Love your reviews! I was so excited to see Part 3 posted. I love to write and hope I have the same detailed memories and gift of fonting as you do. We leave in 2 1/2 weeks. Thanks for the review and keep em coming!

I think part 4 will be the last entry but I appreciate your willingness to read and your good thoughts. Thanks.

Hi Schplinky!

I'm really enjoying your review - you have a wonderful, descriptive writing style that really conveys your experience to your reader. I agree with you on the Pinnacle - there really is no comparison to the specailty restaurants on Celebrity, especially if you're not a red meat fan. I can't believe they raised the price to $30 - in no way is it worth what you pay for the Celebrity restaurant!

Thanks so much for sharing and I LOVE long reviews (probably since I write them myself!);)

Thanks again,

Cathy

Archived