Visa for Brazil?

Toots

Your TA is correct. You can check the web site of the Brazilian embassy for details. Based on current fees, the visa will cost you at least $100. Don't rush out and get the visa now; you must enter Brazil within 90 days of when it is issued.

toots: rdowney is correct. Last year we were facing the same issue, as our cruise ended in Rio. I found the Brazilian embassy website using Google. They have all visa information there as well as addresses of their consulates. Unless you present your passports in person to a consulate, you either have to mail your passports to the nearest consulate or use a passport/visa service to do it. I opted for Zierer Passport Services-it cost a few bucks more, but I felt better about using them than the other way. Also, I recall that there is a $10 processing charge per visa, charged by each consulate, on top of the $100 per visa charge. Also, you do have to wait until you are within the 90-day window from date of arrival in Brazil to obtain your visa.

Hope this helps and that you have a great cruise!

When we cruised to Brazil our TA took care of this for us using an agency. We did have to give them our passports for about 10 days. The visa is only good for 90 days, and travel must be COMPLETED (not started) during that time period, so you have a fairly narrow window to get it.

I returned several months later to Brazil on my own and used the mail-in service through the Brazilian consulate in LA. Not all consulate locations will handle this by mail, some require in person (or agency), and they will not let you go out of your geographic area. Do your research now so you know for your area. Apply about 1 month before your trip. It is a little nerve wracking to wait for the visa and your passport to come back, but I got mine in about 1 week. You can find more information here:

[url]http://www.brasilemb.org/consulado/consular1.shtml[/url]

Regarding the 90-day period, the following is from [url]http://www.brasilemb.org/consulado/consular_visa_tourism.shtml[/url]

First arrival in Brazil must take place within 90 days from the date the visa was issued. This visa is good for multiple entries for the time of the visa's duration (for authorized stays of up to 90 days per visit within that period). If necessary, an extension may be obtained from the Federal Police in Brazil, if requested at least 30 days prior to its expiration, for a total stay of up to 180 days per year.

Toots,

As several other posters have stated when you are ready to apply for you visa:
1) go to the link for the Brazilian Consulant in Miami.
2) Fill out the application that is available on-line (you can use your computer to type in the required info.
3) Get the required photos.
4) You live in Florida so you MUST send the application to Brazil's Consulate in Miami.
5) If you want expeditied service send your application to the Consulate via USPS EXPRESS mail and inclose a prepaid USPS/self addressed EXPRESS mail envelope.

We sent our applications in on a Wed and had the passports and visas back on Saturday.

Hope this helps!

Archived