On the Ecstasy: Beef Wellington & Chateaubriand...

monakayk

I just returned from my 5 day cruise on the Ecstasy and they indeed did have both Beef Wellington & Chateaubriand.

However, they both were not prepared very well.

The Beef Wellington tasted like it had Chicken Livers instead of Foie Gra (goose livers) in between the puff pastry and Beef. So the flavor was very intense and not as good as if they did use Foie Gra. There was no Madeira Sauce with it, which with all other Beef Wellingtons I have had in the past, was drizzled around it on the plate.

The Chateaubriand was very tough and they would only serve it well done or medium well, not rare...as it should be cooked.

All in all...I was VERY disappointed with both dishes which I had looked so forward in having. :mad:

This is, of course, just my own opinion on how MY dishes were prepared/cooked.

I hope all of you have better luck with your dishes if you choose to order them.

I was equally disappointed in the Chateaubriand on the Conquest last week. Beef tenderloin should not be tough. My piece, which was supposed to be medium-rare required significant effort to simply cut into edible sized bites. I felt the problem was that the finished loins had been sitting in a steam tray for an extended period and had dried out. My piece was from the end of the loin so perhaps other cuts from this piece were better. I know I could have sent it back but I chose not to.

While on Celebration in Dec, the Chateau Brian was excellent and med rare as I ordered. I would not expect fois gras on a Carnival ship. Sometimes chefs used a mushroom paste instead. Real fois gras is extremely expensive. Extremely.

Quick research example:

Whole Duck Foie Gras w/ Armagnac Au Torchon Style

Whole lobes of fresh foie gras seasoned and cooked, marinated in Armagnac, wrapped tightly to give it a round shape.

1 lb $115.

And for the French Goose fois gras:

Rougie Micuit Mille-Feuille Goose Foie Gras with Truffles 6% 14.46 oz/410 gr, by Rougie, France.

Ready To Serve.

Ingredients: Goose liver, truffles 6 %, salt, portwine, sugar, pepper, sodium ascorbate, sodium nitrate.

Ready To Serve.

Price: $349.99 A little less than a pound

I have had an appetizer on Celebrity that used fois gras in preparing.

While on Celebration in Dec, the Chateau Brian was excellent and med rare as I ordered. I would not expect fois gras on a Carnival ship. Sometimes chefs used a mushroom paste instead. Real fois gras is extremely expensive. Extremely.

Quick research example:

Whole Duck Foie Gras w/ Armagnac Au Torchon Style

Whole lobes of fresh foie gras seasoned and cooked, marinated in Armagnac, wrapped tightly to give it a round shape.

1 lb $115.

I have had an appetizer on Celebrity that used fois gras in preparing.

ITA....good grade Fois Gras IS very expensive, however, if the chef had just used a mushroom paste in between the pastry and Beef...that would've tasted better than what they did use.

I could tell there were mushrooms used in the paste...but I am pretty sure they used Chicken Livers. And they tasted WAY too strong for this kind of dish.

Last fall I cruise on RCCL and I had the pâté. It was probably made from a lesser grade of duck livers instead of goose...which are not as strong as chicken and it was delicious.

Maybe Carnival could use duck livers instead of WHATEVER they are using now for the Beef Wellington. Anything would be an improvement!

Just back from the Miracle. Indeed, the Beef Wellington was served with a 'mushroom pate' and not goose liver but cooked just as ordered. The Chateaubriand was over-cooked on first delivery. Our waiter noticed the look on my wife's face and quickly replaced it with a correctly cooked medium rare. Both were very tasty.

I just returned from my 5 day cruise on the Ecstasy and they indeed did have both Beef Wellington & Chateaubriand.

I totally agree with you on these 2, Years ago I used to have these 2 dishes as there were very good. The Beef Wellington is suppose to be in a bread or pastery which you break open to get to the beef. The Chateaubriand I have had all over the world is usually a big ball of beef not some dried up slices of beef.

I guess I will shoot some pictures of these in April and send them to their food service department in Miami.

Fred

I've had chateau briand for two which has always been a butterflyed filet mignon. For group feeding the tenderloin roast is the logical way to prepare.

On Celebration, my sliced chateau briand from the tenderloin was very good and med rare.

What is Chateaubriand?

Prepared mostly by French chefs, Chateaubriand beef is a double thick center cut of beef tenderloin. It’s juicy and filled with unending flavor. Try a Chateaubriand filet mignon for an elegant display. Your guests will enjoy a Chateaubriand roast for executive dinners or holiday meals. It’s so delicious, your guests may even ask you, “What is Chateaubriand?” when they bite into the succulent flavor of Chateaubriand beef! And the answer is an outstanding cut of meat from Fairbury Steaks.

Fairbury Steaks provides the highest quality Chateaubriand filet mignon and Chateaubriand roast. Buy Chateaubriand in any form and you’ll only receive the freshest Chateaubriand beef. Order your Chateaubriand today!

I just had both this week and they were terrific! One of them was almost too rare, but very delicious. You could have ordered something else, or sent them back for another plate. Just a thought.

Yes ITA...I could've sent it back for something else, but on the 5 day menu for that evening...there really wasn't anything else that 'hit my fancy'.

Also, I had sent back my Lobster because it was like rubber one evening and my waiter gave me a look I didn't want repeated on another evening. :eek:

So I just ate a little of it and saved a lot of room for dessert! LOL.:p

You have just rendered a valuable service to Carnival. I was on the same sailing.

Now, when the fancy dishes do not taste like shoe leather, future passengers that have read this thread must respond "Exceeded My Expectations" rather than "Opportunity for Improvement."

Carnival owes you a shipboard credit.

Sensation "Chateau", that both my DW and I had, was from the butt end of the loin, and thus was considerably more chewy that a good cut would have been. Almost like the silver skin was not removed. Oh well, I still cook the best tenderloin she's ever had, so at least we know where to get a good one. :D

I only eat beef...I have had both on every ship I have been on.

While the New York Strip was tough and dry on every ship (but I know that going in...so no big deal)... I have only had a problem with the rest of the beef fare one time on the Spirit (July 2005 ~ Alaska cruise). The rest of the times both have been fine.

The beef served onboard is often not up to our standards. Better beef is found in the local supermarket here.

There are lots of grades of beef... USDA Prime, Choice, Good... etc. Used to be, you could expect to find USDA Choice beef in supermarkets but that is becoming rare.

I suspect the beef on the cruise ships is not even USDA graded, and if it were, it would not be Choice... maybe Good, or even lower. Not surprising, just a way to cut costs. For $100 a day or less, do you expect Prime beef?

The beef served onboard is often not up to our standards. Better beef is found in the local supermarket here.

There are lots of grades of beef... USDA Prime, Choice, Good... etc. Used to be, you could expect to find USDA Choice beef in supermarkets but that is becoming rare.

I suspect the beef on the cruise ships is not even USDA graded, and if it were, it would not be Choice... maybe Good, or even lower. Not surprising, just a way to cut costs. For $100 a day or less, do you expect Prime beef?

Excellent point. One thing for certain....Carnival gives you your money's worth!!

Salty dingo. You must be shopping at Harris Teeter. I've decided along time ago that their "Rancher Beef" is more of a standard grade. Try the beef at Costco. It can't be beat and it is "Choice".

Celebrity and HAL have very good beef. The filets on Celebrity are truely excellent.

The highest quality of beef, if not properly prepared and cooked, is a real shame. Lesser quality, done the same injustice, is worse.

I would suggest, that given the buying power of Carnival et al, they are able to procure a decent quality of beef, at a reasonable price.

Given what they probably pay the people who prepare the food, the same may not be said for quality of preparation.

Perfect prime beef can be ruined by those who prepare it.

I am curious though. Given the Bahamian registry of many of their ships, where does the USDA come into play? Is this not a United States corporate entity? :rolleyes:

I just returned from Glory, I would agree that beef selections are not always the best quality, with the exception of prime rib -- which always received high marks from my party. I ordered filet mignon, and it was tasty and of good size, but not the luxuriously smooth and tender meat that I envision when I order filet mignon. I heard good reviews of Beef Wellington, and not so good for the Chateaubriand.

I am usually happy when I order fish, and I also had some tasty "charred chicken". I do keep in mind that mass production of these dinners does affect quality, and that Carnival cruise dining is basically Applebees with gourmet presentation (and Applebees has improved THEIR presentation in recent months..)

Didn't have a very good experience with the Chateaubriand and shrimp cocktail on the Fantasy a few weeks ago. Should have remembered that foods are mass prepared on these ships. This cut of beef was as bland as can be....they didn't do it any justice. Although, I pulled my usual "wuss" routine and nibbled at it until dessert time....lol. They do a wonderful job on the soups, though. Next time, I'm going to get brave and reorder. Like I said........I'm a "wuss"(sp?) =o).

Archived