Embarkation Port - Brooklyn Naval Yard?

d-Lo

We are sailing from NY in August on the Crown - we were told that the embarkation port is the Brooklyn Naval Yard. Does anyone know any information about this port? I cannot find any info online or on Princess.com. We have friends flying in from California who are asking which airport to fly into that is closer to the naval yard but we have no idea. Someone told me that ships sail out of Redhook - in the Brooklyn area...is this the same port? Please help if you can!!

Donna

Thanks so much... this was a huge help!!! Any hotel recommendations on hotels for our traveling friends - stay at the airport or are there hotels near the terminal?

Marriott Brooklyn bridge would be the closest major chain to the pier but very expensive.

No cheap hotels in the New York area. :)

The area in which the Red Hook terminal is located is not the greatest. If your friends just want to fly in the day before the cruise and sleep someplace for the night, I'd probably suggest they stay at a hotel near the airport and take a taxi or car service to the pier. LaGuardia or JFK would be the best bet for airports.

I live in Brooklyn. RedHook is the area that the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is at. It's on the Brooklyn side of the Battery Tunnel that takes you into Manhattan. It's a developing area. Used to be very run down, but slowly it's being built up and developed. If you haven't been to NYC before and are flying in the night before you might want to spend the night in Manhattan and then take a cab to the pier the morning of the cruise. I love Brooklyn, and it's a nice place to stay (in downtown) but if you come to NYC you should not miss out on Manhattan!!! :)

But the Red hook area is apparrently in "gentrification" mode and has a newly burgeoning crop of good restaurants. It was written up recently in one of my cooking magazines (Gourmet' date=' Bon Appetit or Food & Wine).[/quote']

Having been there several times, the area right near the terminal isn't "gentrified" yet. Parts of Brooklyn further away from the cruise terminal are, but there is nothing close to the terminal.

If it were me, I'd stay at a hotel near the airport.

Having been there several times, the area right near the terminal isn't "gentrified" yet. Parts of Brooklyn further away from the cruise terminal are, but there is nothing close to the terminal.

If it were me, I'd stay at a hotel near the airport.

One of the best new restaurants in the city 360 Furman street is right there. The Fairway Market has also opened at the end of Furman Street(Close to the walk in entrance from the Cruise terminal-not the drive in one).

Fairway is about to open up an full service restaurant. A key-lime pie out-let has opened. etc.. Gourmet Magazine, Lonely Planet etc have earmarked this area for publicity. You can always eat at the hope and anchor. Would I stay at the motel by the BB Tunnel....no because its not a nighttime area yet(although the Hope and Anchor rest has an interesting Friday and Saturday Karaoke)

but for places to stay, I agree with the suggestion for Manhattan and take a cab, why would you want to stay at an airport hotel which has nothing around it...

BTW its too late to buy into the Red Hook area,,,its almost all been bought. Part of the Fairway development was million dollar condos on the water. I believe they have all been sold.

One of the best new restaurants in the city 360 Furman street is right there. The Fairway Market has also opened at the end of Furman Street(Close to the walk in entrance from the Cruise terminal-not the drive in one).

Fairway is about to open up an full service restaurant. A key-lime pie out-let has opened. etc.. Gourmet Magazine, Lonely Planet etc have earmarked this area for publicity. You can always eat at the hope and anchor. Would I stay at the motel by the BB Tunnel....no because its not a nighttime area yet(although the Hope and Anchor rest has an interesting Friday and Saturday Karaoke)

but for places to stay, I agree with the suggestion for Manhattan and take a cab, why would you want to stay at an airport hotel which has nothing around it...

BTW its too late to buy into the Red Hook area,,,its almost all been bought. Part of the Fairway development was million dollar condos on the water. I believe they have all been sold.

opps its columbia street sorry...

We sailed on the Crown last summer, flew in the night before and stayed at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott. We bought the City Walk cards for NYC so got up early the next morning and went for a walk around 7:00 a.m. following the cards for that area. We ended up down the promenade and saw the Statue of Liberty and the Crown from there. It was great and we'd do it again. When we got back we checked out of the hotel, the doorman got us a towncar (guaranteed price instead of sitting in traffic watching the meter of the cab running) and we were at the dock quickly.

We stayed four nights post cruise and used the City Walk cards - they were a great investment for $14.95.

We reserved a towncar through Carmel to get us from Newark to the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, it was $70.

For the towncar from the Marriott to the pier was $15.

We stayed postcruise at the Casablanca in Times Square. There are a number of cabs/towncars to choose from when you get off the ship. Again, we prefer a towncar because your price is locked in. I believe it was about $60 from the dock to Times Square.

We are sailing from NY in August on the Crown - we were told that the embarkation port is the Brooklyn Naval Yard. Does anyone know any information about this port? I cannot find any info online or on Princess.com. We have friends flying in from California who are asking which airport to fly into that is closer to the naval yard but we have no idea. Someone told me that ships sail out of Redhook - in the Brooklyn area...is this the same port? Please help if you can!!

Donna

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - directions and parking for cruise passengers

Dear d-Lo,

The (Old) Brooklyn Naval Yard and the (New) Brooklyn Cruise Terminal are definitely two different Ports.

By location they located around the Redhook/Brooklyn Heights Area. They both are also separated by the Brooklyn & Manhattan Bridges on the East River.

Also as a matter of fact, the QM2 would not beable to dock in the Brooklyn Naval Yard since it would NEVER beable to sail under the bridges due to the lack of clearence of their heights (very low).

There are some hotels in Downtown Brooklyn about 15-20 minutes away from the Cruise Terminal. One for ex. Brooklyn Marriott Hotel between Jay & Adams Street across from the Brooklyn Civic Center - Boro Hall.

If you stay there, there are interesting restaurants in the Brooklyn Heights Area along Court Street and Montague Street as an example.

Archived