Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

Hey all,

It's that time of the month again... ugh. But, beyond that I'm hanging in there best I can. We ran out of food this week and I ended up eating omelettes and popcorn as meal for 2 days. These things happen at the end of the semester I guess. But I did earn an A in my class- hooray! And I have 2 days off (unfortunately, DH does not have time off this weekend) and intend to spend them outside enjoying the sun.

Been feverishly searching out my next cruise... we're considering N'Orleans on NCL to guatemala and a couple of places in Mexico. It looks cheap at 550/pp. And that would leave us some cash to hang out in the big easy for a few days ahead of time (not gorging on pounds of bacon...WHERE DO THESE PEOPLE COME FROM?) because we've never been there. I'm going to see if I can score any goodies from our newly established "personal cruise consultant" before really booking. I'm in no rush but patience is not AND HAS NEVER BEEN one of my virtues so I doubt I can hold out till the fall to book ;)

I hope all is well out there and that everyone gets outside this weekend (even 15 minutes/day is enough to convert the vitamin D!) and gets some sunshine and fresh air.

Enjoy your weekend!

Pink

Somebody left Pink home alone with the credit card... uh oh...

Next year's cruise (and the b+b in new orleans for mardi gras) got booked this morning ;) Hope DH is as excited as I am when he gets home. He did indicate that Mardi Gras would be a fun vaca...:p

Ok, this morning DH, DD and I took Sadie and we just got back from walking the Breast Cancer 5 mile walk !! My right knee is a bit tender..but we did it! :D There were so many people, that we did the walking, walking, speed up walking to go around, walking, walking slower, walking faster to go around and keep up the pace as long as we could! This year meant a lot to us - we did it for my younger sister (stage 4 with breast cancer) and we thought of her and did "remember when's" as we walked and that was good for me. I'm challenging any other Atkineers out there to do the walk for anyone that is a friend or loved one, when ever it comes to your town! It was pretty cool when we started out, doggie was on sensor overload with all of the sounds ( the cheerleaders along the way, their pom poms kind of freaked her out) , smells and PEOPLE! But she did ok - it was a good experience for her! She would have gone further....all 4 legs! LOL

Oh...and I only had a SFS shake for breakfast .... had plenty of energy!

Pink!- You had a lot of fun at home yesterday...didn't you!:) I've been to New Orleans, but just for about 3 days, when DH had a conference there. It was in October. I was able to wander around town on my own, then we would meet for dinner and the evening. If they still have a Ralph & Kakoos resturant....be sure to eat there! Yum! It was back in 93, so I'm sure so much has changed. We have talked about doing a NO cruise, as that port is closer to us, so you'll have to give me the scoop when you get back! What ship are you going on, what ports?

Ok, I really need a shower....laterz!

Hey Gang,

Wow you guys were busy this weekend.:) We took it easy and relaxed (ahhh felt so good to do nothing:D ;) ). I did the weights on sunday and finally broke down and did some crunches (yuck & ouch!):D

Pink, I always wanted to see New Orleans, bet you are going to have a great time esp with Mardi Gras. Congrats on the A.

Jean, Great job on the walk! Breast cancer is one of the charities that I always donate to when ever I can. Also, on the Princess ships they have a breast cancer walk around the deck that all proceeds go to (I think it is) the Susan B Koman breast cancer fund. Sorry to hear about your sister, I will remember her in my prayers for a full recovery.

Hey Lisa:)

Annie, where did you go?

Can you believe that it's already Monday?!?!:eek: When I'm not at work time sure does fly by!

Jocelyn : When places start opening up out here and we can take the trailer, we are looking forward to some very lazy camping days - I can feel them coming this way! lol! Good job on the weights! Yeah, those crunches can be a pain....get it a pain.... ok, never mind, yuk yuk yuk....LOL! Thanks for the kind thoughts on my sister.

Ok, back to work..

Hey Everyone! Sorry I've been MIA again, family crisis, a sick co-worker and lots of work are keeping me away from the boards. I have not had time to even read the posts, so I hope everyone is doing okay! I'll try to stop back and catch up! I weighed in Saturday morning and lost 5 lbs.! Woo Hoo!

hello everyone:) I fell off the wagon this weekend and went to Chili's with my DH:( I'm back in the proveriable saddle once again and I'll continue to try to stick to only the foods I should eat.

My sister too had a bout with breast cancer a few years back and I admire anyone who contributes their time and efforts towards that cause.

Wishing you all a great start to a brand new week!

Kim

I finally did it. Today was day one of induction. Believe it or not it was not as hard as I thought it would be. I even bought a new digital scale over the weekend. I have been looking for a low carb shake or bar. Any suggestions besides ordering from Atkins online?? I wish I could go walking tonight but it has rained non-stop for two days now. Maybe tomorrow. I guess I could just walk up and down the stairs for 30 minutes. :rolleyes: Wish I had an Atkins buddy at home but my boyfriend and daughter will continue to eat carbs. I cooked pasta for them tonight and did not even want any!! :D I am a little proud of myself for that one. I guess I am just in the right frame of mind this time.

Time to post SFS induction shake again! I have it about 2-3 times a week!

Sheila's Easy Breakfast Shake

Serves 1

6 total carbs for entire recipe

Induction-friendly!

3-oz. cube cream cheese

½ cup Eggbeaters (pasteurized & safe)

¼ cup heavy cream

1 T DaVinci's or Atkins syrup - any flavor!

4 ice cubes

Blend 30 seconds - ice cubes last - and enjoy!

http://www.sugarfreesheila.com/RecipesPage.html

Donna and Tammy !!! You Go Girls!!:D

Kim - Hang in there, and just get back on track! We all have those meals that kind of whack us on the head later:eek: , but the longer you stay on track the more often you'll see the scale drop! Really!!

Jocelyn - I did it! Really I did..... I broke down and got a new iPod this week. :p ..Girl, I was just missing my music so much! So it's all loaded and even a few pics of the pup - she's just that cute :p , and we are ready for our trip!

Now you know - the old one is going to un-hide itself any day now! But that's the norm for me! lol.. Have a great day!

Help! Where can I find the Syrup?? Sorry if I am asking stupid questions but I really am motivated this time. I have less than a year and need to lose some major weight. I do crave something sweet from time to time and don't want to blow it. ;) Thanks for the help!!

Donna,

The syrup can be found at Wal-Mart - some grocery stores, some have found it at TJ Maxx --- It doesn't have to be Divinci....the important thing is to find it Sugar Free, a flavor that you like and look at the back for Carb count - which should be zero! I like raspberry, and when I know that I'm not going to be at my desk all day - I'll throw in 2 strawberries - for more of a berry kick! I've also picked up the sf carmel, and can use that once in a while for a sweet topping - but not very often... OH! Do you mean where in the store? LOL! I find mine where the coffee/tea aisles are.

Have you looked at Sugar Free Sheila's web site.....great stuff in there...she pops in here once in awhile to see if we're staying on course or has a new tip! She suggested "Ken's" Ranch dressing....it's the BEST!

That's the only kind I use now!

Also... gooselace had some great recipes - and go back to November and see some nut recipes that she shared...they are YUMMO! Everyone - Atkins or not- will like them!

Okay, I feel terrible I have been away from the boards for a while. My mom was in crisis with her schizophrenic 2nd husband. Thankfully things have calmed down, he's on his meds and back to work! Then my co-worker has been sick with a virus and was out of work last Friday and yesterday. She was back half day today. Hopefully this week will continue to get better!

WELCOME eddiesgal! We are taking a cruise a week after yours (no ticker because I have not booked yet, but we are positive we are going). Speaking of tickers, I love yours! And don't feel bad about falling off as the other wonderful ladies on this board have said. Just jump right back on. I have to pat myself on the back because I've been able to go out to restaurants and stick with Atkins no problem. Chili's actually has a great dish, it's under the Fajita menu ( I just don't get the tortillas-for Induction), but it's a chicken breast grilled with bacon, mushrooms & cheese melted on top and they serve it with veggies. It tastes awesome and I don't have to feel guilty!

WELCOME donnaholder! I too have 100 pounds to lose. Back in 2004 I had started Atkins in January and by my May, when I had a 40th b-day celebration cruise with my best friend planned I had lost 60 lbs. I can't tell you how often I think if only I would have continued the Atkins WOE, I would have it all gone by now! Unfortunately I was one of the people who went off of it after my cruise and gained all 60 back and then some! Hang in there, you can do it! Also, I have been drinking the Atkin's shakes & bars (which taste almost like a candy bar). I purchase the shakes (which come in cans) from the grocery store. I have also seen them at Walmart and Sam's Club. Hope this helps for you!

Pink, how cool you are taking a cruise out of N.O.! My first cruise was out of there and we flew in a day early so we could enjoy the French Quarter. I would love to leave out of that city again!

Jean, You lost 40 lbs. when you first started Atkins?! How excellent and you've "mostly" kept it off;) And congrats on completing that 5 mile walk and such a good cause! And positive thoughts to your younger sister! And now how long have you had that new IPod? Has the old one popped up yet?

Jocelyn, Sorry to hear about your hubby and his asthma, that must have been scary having to head to the hospital. I feel so sorry for people with bad allergies. Our trees and grass are putting everyone's allergy's into overdrive right now. I too enjoy American Idol, I was bummed when Michael Johns was voted off and now most recently Carley Smithson. I'm hoping David Cook is not next!

Hola to everyone else!

I hope everyone has a great evening and I will try to get online more often. Oh by the way, I found Heize 57 ketchup comes in 1 net carb now. Has anyone else seen this? Or am I a little behind and it's always been there? All I can say is it tastes great, especially on a hotdog!

Hi everyone....We finally got moved into our new house....moved, but not settled yet!! LOL....Used the move as an excuse to fall off the Atkins wagon, but I am back to induction today. Thankfully looks like I only gained 3 pounds...guess the added activity of moving helped. I plan to visit this thread a few times a week again. You guys are always so supportive and help me stay on track. See ya again soon.

Karen

Hey all,

I'm maintaining right now. Losing approx 1 lb/month for the last few months. 1 lb to go til goal! Very happy :)

Had my first bottle of red a few days ago. No ill effects. I drank 3-4 glasses with my meal before bed. VERY HAPPY to report that my wt was stable for 3 days after. Usually I see the increase the next day!

April showers abound here- I can't wait for the sun to come out so DH and I can walk again. Our exercise daily plan flopped quickly with the stress of school.

As for the cruise, I'm excited but nervous. NCL spirit has mixed reviews. Mardi Gras in New Orleans... well, we'll see how that goes.

We're stopping in Guatemala, Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel... should be fun. Not my favorite stops in the world... we're really going for the port of N.O. But it was reasonably priced, during a cold month, and included some ports we haven't seen. We'll probably cave tube with Major Tom (since we snorkelled last time in Belize) and this time we'll walk the right way into Cozumel. Last time we walked to the N. part of the island and were very disturbed at how dirty and deserted it was :( And as the dates get closer we'll make a decision about Costa Maya and Guatemala. Maybe some ruins and a waterfall visit... I'm hoping to keep the costs of our excursions down (diy excursions using the boards and whoever is at the port that day) so that we can spend what's left of the budget (which has already doubled since I was making plans initially) in New Orleans when we'll need it.

I just hope we're safe there... if I come home with gunshot or mugging stories from N.O. you guys will have to work extra hard to keep me eating right. I'll be an emotional wreck. I'm praying that the city continues to clean up and build in the next 8 months so that we have a really enjoyable time.

Thinking of all of you

Pink

Good Morning! Wednesday - yay- look how close we are to Friday! lol! Can you tell I live for my weekends! :p

Pink - Your trips sound great! You'll have such a good time! I liked the Costa Maya stop - Belieze...we snorkeled, haven't been to the other two. You keep talking about school - I was thinking you were an RN? Good job on losing little by little...we know you'll hit your goal!

Swansonia - Congrats on the new house and whew...I'm glad that your in!! Not as much as you, but when it comes to moving - I'm happy for everyone that gets their stuff moved! LOL! Look how good you are too, your back on track - those 3 lbs will be gone in no time!:)

jocelyn: What's going on in your neck of the woods? Working up a storm on your exercise equipment? Singing to your cats?

Annie... What are you doing these days?

Lisa - Did you sign up for your race? Are you in your new house now?

Tammy- new iPod is 4 days old - and not a sign of the old one! grrr

I'm glad that things have settled down for you! Family / Work....it can get pretty crazy! Yup..got a bottle of that ketchup too!:D

Kim - How ya doing? Glad your sister is better! My sister waited way too lonng when she knew something was wrong for a couple of years. :mad:

Donna - Did you find the stuff for the shake?

Ladies! Take care of yourselves! You have to do it!

ok, getting my desk cleaned up!

Well, I just had to write a note to all of you and say, Thank You. I too thought the Atkin diet was not good but find that you get your share of Veggies and fruits also. I started two weeks ago and have lost about 5 or 6 lbs already. I am trying to make this a way of life, from now on. And I did eat a sweet or two along the way. I am finding that I have more energy this last week. I don't do a lot of exercise but hope to start riding my bike more often. I walk the golf course once a week but it is getting hot now and I will have to ride---I live in Florida and can't do the heat anymore.

I have been reading this Thread and that has helped me to get started on this weight loss. I want to get down another 15 lbs. or more.

I will drop in from time to time but will still read the Thread.

Trudy:)

Tammy- new iPod is 4 days old - and not a sign of the old one! grrr

I'm glad that things have settled down for you! Family / Work....it can get pretty crazy! Yup..got a bottle of that ketchup too!:D

Your right, the family things can get pretty crazy! I did fall off Induction but have jumped right back on. And I also received some good news about my ankle, NO SURGERY!! I actually found a new pair of tennis shoes from New Balance that are specifically for people with severe pronation (sp?). They were $155.00 but that's a lot cheaper than having surgery. I have had the shoes for a week now and the pain in my ankle is almost completely gone. And I was able to take Veda out for a walk last night, so I was back on the treadmill this morning!! I have a refreshed outlook on my weightloss now and am totally ready to kick butt big time! I think the fact that I could not exercise the way I enjoyed kept me from being truly dedicated.

Hi Gang,

Just wanted to let you all know that I am still here and catching up on the posts. I will wb in a few. TTFN;) :D

Hola!:)

Well, I just had to write a note to all of you and say, Thank You. I too thought the Atkin diet was not good but find that you get your share of Veggies and fruits also. I started two weeks ago and have lost about 5 or 6 lbs already. I am trying to make this a way of life, from now on. And I did eat a sweet or two along the way. I am finding that I have more energy this last week. I don't do a lot of exercise but hope to start riding my bike more often. I walk the golf course once a week but it is getting hot now and I will have to ride---I live in Florida and can't do the heat anymore.

I have been reading this Thread and that has helped me to get started on this weight loss. I want to get down another 15 lbs. or more.

I will drop in from time to time but will still read the Thread.

Trudy:)

WELCOME TRUDY! These ladies are a great group! I recently joined on and am so glad I did. They are truly inspirational. Good luck on your weightloss and your newfound Atkins Way of Eating!

PINK: Don't worry about New Orleans, I've only heard good things from people visiting. And I've seen many ads on t.v.about visiting N.O. because they have so much to offer their visitors. And have you ever considered renting a jeep to drive around the Island of Cozumel? There is a woman who sells maps for the different Mexican towns called the Mapchick (mapchick dot com). She takes orders on the honor system, you order through her website, she sends you the map and you send her a check. She's very reputable and I've purchased 2 maps from her and they have tons of great info on them. Or depending on how long your port stop is, maybe taking the ferry over to Playa del Carmen? Playa has great shopping, especially on the north end of 5th Av. along with many great restaurants and bars. Just make sure if you take the ferry that you go by your cruise ship time. We were going to take the ferry from Coz once and realized we would not have had enough time to get back because of the ferry schedule.

Hope everyone else is doing well! Have a great day!

Can you believe that it's already Monday?!?!:eek: When I'm not at work time sure does fly by!

Jocelyn : When places start opening up out here and we can take the trailer, we are looking forward to some very lazy camping days - I can feel them coming this way! lol! Good job on the weights! Yeah, those crunches can be a pain....get it a pain.... ok, never mind, yuk yuk yuk....LOL! Thanks for the kind thoughts on my sister.

Ok, back to work..

LOL, yes I know the pain:D I felt it for a few days after ughh.:D

BTW, I am catching up so don't mind my random posts.

Can you believe that it's already Monday?!?! When I'm not at work time sure does fly by!

Ok, back to work..

LOL, yes I know the pain:D I felt it for a few days after ughh.

Jean, I thought the Ipod would have shown up by now....maybe Sadie's waiting to give it to you for Mother's Day LOL jking:D

Ok, I was going to post individually but the boards are acting up:rolleyes:

Tammy, great job on the 5 lost and I am glad things are settling down for you. No Surgery YAY!!! Such a relief isn't it.

Hey Kim, Ahhhh Chili's, it has done most of us in....good job on getting back into it.

Hey Donna, I found my SF DaVinci at Marshall's, TJ MAXX & Home Goods. I like the Amaretto. Don't always have it so when I find it I stock up

Hey Pink, almost at GOAL!!!!

Welcome Trudy! And congrats on the loss!

Hey Gooselace, how are you doing?

Hey Lisa, are you lurking? :D

Not much going on here, just counting down to my cruise. That reminds me, Jean you are leaving soon right? Can you bring me back a Scot's Man in a kilt:D ;) Yes, it's one of my dreams, I wonder if Ed can master the Scottish accent. Ok time to sign off, I am tired and getting silly.

Can you believe that it's already Monday?!?! When I'm not at work time sure does fly by!

Ok, back to work..

LOL, yes I know the pain:D I felt it for a few days after ughh.

Jean, I thought the Ipod would have shown up by now....maybe Sadie's waiting to give it to you for Mother's Day LOL jking:D

Ok, I was going to post individually but the boards are acting up:rolleyes:

Tammy, great job on the 5 lost and I am glad things are settling down for you. No Surgery YAY!!! Such a relief isn't it.

Hey Kim, Ahhhh Chili's, it has done most of us in....good job on getting back into it.

Hey Donna, I found my SF DaVinci at Marshall's, TJ MAXX & Home Goods. I like the Amaretto. Don't always have it so when I find it I stock up

Hey Pink, almost at GOAL!!!!

Welcome Trudy! And congrats on the loss!

Hey Gooselace, how are you doing?

Hey Lisa, are you lurking? :D

Not much going on here, just counting down to my cruise. That reminds me, Jean you are leaving soon right? Can you bring me back a Scot's Man in a kilt:D ;) Yes, it's one of my dreams, I wonder if Ed can master the Scottish accent. Ok time to sign off, I am tired and getting silly.

I have not had a chance to get to the store yet. I work 40-50 hours a week, am working on my accounting degree and I am a single mother!! WHEW!! I sure stay exhausted. I hope my energy picks up soon. I didn't use to feel so tired. I live in a very small town basically all we have is two grocery stores and a Wal-mart. I am going to Wal-Mart this weekend and hopefully find it. I am just so proud of myself this time. Day number 4 of induction and have not even wanted any carbs. I did get on the scale yesterday morning and had lost .6 lb. I know its not much but it adds up. :D Our next cruise is not until next April so I have one year to do it!! I would like to lose at least 80 pounds but am shooting for closer to 100. This time I just feel like I will do it because I am highly motivated. It sure helps having my cruisecritic buddies!! Thanks to all!

Hey All,

Wow...

Did you ever wake up and realize, hey, I just passed goal? I did tonight. WOO HOO! PARTY FOR PINK!!!!

I am going to start playing with food a bit more and trying new things. I spent $15 on 8 cans of atkins shakes (vanilla pack and choc pack). Hubby was not impressed as it really took a toll on the budget :rolleyes: Oh well, I'm going to see how they affect my weight. The taste is...well, it doesn't taste like a traditional shake. Sheila's (minus the eggbeaters) are better but they're a bit time consuming to make/cleanup before work and I haven't figured out how to best tote them along either since I already carry 8-12oz of coffee. I bought them to see if they could be a meal replacement in the a.m.

I'm cutting back to 3 overnights/wk at work and to do that I'm switching from 8 hr to 12 hr shifts. I'm awfully nervous about it. Right now I bring a high fat snack or two (maybe an avocado and some almonds or macadamias) and a small meal (lately cottage cheese, berries, nuts) such as salad, deli meats, or taco salad. I know if I have to work 12 hours I'll need 2 snacks and 2 meals. Particularly challenging times of the year really test my resolve and require that I have more than enough to eat. Finding food or drink in the caf that are atkins friendly is a struggle.

So, summer is coming, I like salads...PLEASE share your favorite recipes!

Here are two I relied on last summer that are less than 10 carbs:

1) Taco Salad

1/2 lb taco meat

shredded lettuce

1 cup tomato

2 oz cheese, shredded (I usually buy a fancy cabot jalapeno)

a packet of salsa from taco bell

a dollop of sour cream

sometimes I would put my avocado slices over the top to be extra fancy

2) Goat Cheese/Balsamic

Baby Spinach (2 cups)

sprinkle goat cheese crumbles on top

1-2 tsp balsamic vinegar (watch the carb counts)

baked chicken cut into thin strips or cubed

tomato, green peppers or cucumber to give it some crunch

I'm looking for suggestions! Any and all are welcome!

Tammy,

Thanks for the cruise ideas!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for not forgetting me! I'm not exactly lurking, but I do read the posts every morning in my email. Just lots going on right now!

I'm skipping the May tri but registered for one in June. We're still getting the new house ready to move into, and hopefully will be there by 3 weeks from now. I've been working to get my current house listed, and it will be done by the beginning of next week.

WOE is back & forth. Some days are better than others. It does help to read about the struggles & successes!

Pink: found this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24410284/

We had a fantastic time in NOLA & never felt unsafe...although I will admit that people's fears on CC kept popping up in my head. We were in the Convention Center district & never made it over to the Quarter. We walked everywhere & kept our car parked on the street all night. No problems at all. Way to go on passing your goal! Awesome!

Hi Jean, Jocelyn, Karen, Donna, Donna, Tammy, and everyone else. Welcome Trudy! I'm so glad you checked out this WOE & didn't just go by what you heard. It sounds like things are going very well!

Have a great weekend, everyone!