Cell phones on board for Canadians

Tibear

I'm sure someone out there has info on this.

I've been checking with cell providers here in Ontario, and they all say that Roger's has the same technology as Cingular aboard the RCCL ships. But here's the catch...some say I can use a pay-as-you-go temporary phone and others say that you need to have a month to month contract in order to access cingular on the ship. And another one suggested that I buy a Cingular phone (pay as you go) when I get to Miami and won't have to worry about wether or not it works..

Any body out there with experiance on this???

Tibear

I am sailing on the FOS this coming Sunday! I have Rogers Pay as You Go Service and from what I am led to believe, service will work, but may be limited to the islands you visit. Most of the islands have some sort of digital service and Rogers has an agreement with them. It is something like $2.50/minute to use, but much better than the ship phones at $7.95/minute. I will be glad to let you know when I return.

that cell phones will no longer be allowed, in use, in any public areas.

Oh, that this were true. Sadly, the cell phone idiots will become more and more invasive in the coming years. The sea is no longer a sanctuary from cell phones [phones in general, for that matter].

Dan

Oh, that this were true. Sadly, the cell phone idiots will become more and more invasive in the coming years. The sea is no longer a sanctuary from cell phones [phones in general, for that matter].

Dan

Well that's not entirely true.

The sea IS a sanctuary away from cell phones, as the vast majority if not all cell phones will not work when you are in the middle of the ocean. The cell phone's will work as you approach a port.....

I took my cell on my Radiance cruise in November (I have Telus) and the service was 100% perfect in Key West, Montego Bay Jamaica, and Cozumel Mexico - the only place I did not have service was Grand Cayman, but the person I was travelling with has Rogers and she did have service in Grand Cayman.

While we are on the subject of mobile technology - I have a Blackberry and was told that I cannot send and receive messages outside of the continental U.S - does anyone have experience with a Blackberry at sea???

Well that's not entirely true.

The sea IS a sanctuary away from cell phones, as the vast majority if not all cell phones will not work when you are in the middle of the ocean. The cell phone's will work as you approach a port.....

I took my cell on my Radiance cruise in November (I have Telus) and the service was 100% perfect in Key West, Montego Bay Jamaica, and Cozumel Mexico - the only place I did not have service was Grand Cayman, but the person I was travelling with has Rogers and she did have service in Grand Cayman.

While we are on the subject of mobile technology - I have a Blackberry and was told that I cannot send and receive messages outside of the continental U.S - does anyone have experience with a Blackberry at sea???

I'd guess that you didn't know that cruiselines are wiring newbuilds and retrofitting present ships for cell service AT SEA. Soon you will be able to overhear, "Guess where I am now. No, I'm in the dining room. Guess what's on the menu. No, but they have pizza for free!!! Guess where I'm going after I eat." andonandonandon

Dan

Hey Robyn, how are you, getting ready for the B2B? I only have my Freddy Flintstone mobile (2 cans and a piece of string) but a friend of mine has a Crackberry and has used it on some of the islands (those that have a carrier which Rogers hooks up with) although he couldn't use it in the Dominican Republic as Rogers wasn't partnered with anyone...they may be now though.

Dan

Thanks for your personal comments. Really appreciate the help!

I personally don't use my cell except in emergencies, and am inquiring about this technology because of familly illness while we are cruising. The ability to get a hold of somebody quickly is very important.

Not all cell users are " idiots "

Tibear

in saying that "not all cell users are 'idiots'".

HOWEVER, it's VERY annoying that a percentage of people who insist on using their cellular devices and two way radios ARE annoying, rude, inconsiderate and generally a thorn in the vacation of many people.

I am an avid cellular telephone user. When I go on a cruise I don't have it with me. If anyone NEEDS to contact me for any reason they can darn well call the ship's radio telephone.

Just say NO and leave it home.

Thank you, bowing.

Jim

Thanks for your personal comments. Really appreciate the help!

I personally don't use my cell except in emergencies, and am inquiring about this technology because of familly illness while we are cruising. The ability to get a hold of somebody quickly is very important.

Not all cell users are " idiots "

Tibear

The quote was,"THE cell phone idiots", it was NOT, "you ARE A CELL PHONE IDIOT." I also have a cell phone, have had one for many years. Having one does NOT make you or I a cell phone idiot. Using it in restaurants, on cruise ships and in public places for non-emergency uses DOES make one a rude, crude, cell phone idiot. Ones "private" phone conversations should be just that, "private."

Dan

Personally, I would prefer to leave the cell phone at home, but they will come in handy when the DW and I are trying to stay in touch with the DD's. Sure beates renting the ship walk talkies etc.

OUrs will be used only incase of emergency as well, of course with the exception of keeping in touch with the DD's!

FYI - Grand Cayman is getting a CDMA overlay for their GSM network since so many of us from North America use CDMA technology. Plan on getting CDMA service in Grand Cayman very soon.

Just went on the Splendour and used ours in cozumel and costa maya! Cingular is our provider. We made sure we had roaming and our specific type of phone would work in Mexico. $.99 a minute. we could have signed up for their Mexico plan $4.99 a month but they told me we would could not cancel the service tiil all the calls came through on our bill or we could be charged the full price!!! When at sea your phone will ounce of ships tower $2.49 per minute! Have fun !!!

Hey Robyn, how are you, getting ready for the B2B? I only have my Freddy Flintstone mobile (2 cans and a piece of string) but a friend of mine has a Crackberry and has used it on some of the islands (those that have a carrier which Rogers hooks up with) although he couldn't use it in the Dominican Republic as Rogers wasn't partnered with anyone...they may be now though.

Hey Bob! Yes, I am busily preparing for my B2B and I am VERY excited about it! :D

I am a crackberry addict - I admit it. The darn thing is ridiculously addictive and I feel as if my office follows me wherever I go. I know I can use it as a phone while I am away - but I don't think I can send and receive emails.....which may not be a bad thing :rolleyes: LOL

I did all the checking last month.

Rogers pay as you go phone will not work out of Canada.

Regular Rogers' phone will work on the ship but the charge is $6.00 a minute! WOW

Cingular is alot cheaper, but a pay as you go phone will not work with Cingular either. You need a regular service for their phones to work. Sorry.

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/coverage/international.asp?shopperID=M9M956MRFG3L8MRUA1UBW4LTFJ048S73

I'm sure someone out there has info on this.

I've been checking with cell providers here in Ontario, and they all say that Roger's has the same technology as Cingular aboard the RCCL ships. But here's the catch...some say I can use a pay-as-you-go temporary phone and others say that you need to have a month to month contract in order to access cingular on the ship. And another one suggested that I buy a Cingular phone (pay as you go) when I get to Miami and won't have to worry about wether or not it works..

Any body out there with experiance on this???

Tibear

Normally I'm with the "who wants a cell phone on a cruise" party however in January we went on a cruise leaving our 17yr DD at home and wouldn't you know that about the time we got out of Texas she came down with a pretty nasty case of strep. Luckily her boyfriends mom adopted her while she was sick but it was nice to be able to check in on her through text messages and phone calls. Guess I'm a convert now. I don't think I'll play the "guess where I am and what I'm doing" game but I will be taking my phone with me.

AFAIK, Roger's Pay as you Go phones will now work in the US, but will not otherwise work internationally.

RickCanada - I was under the impression that the new GSM pay as you go phones do work outside of Canada....I even got an email from Rogers Customer service confirming this point.

we have checked extensively into this both last year and this year. You need to have a GSM phone for it to work. Last year we sailed the Norwegian Spirit and our cell phones worked every minute that we were on the cruise except for when the cruise was in port and it changed to local providors. Because Rogers and I believe "Cingualar" are interelated there is usually no problems on ROgers GSM phones. However, i'm not 100% sure of pay as you go. One thing we did last year and will do again for our Radiance of the Seas cruise next month is buy a roaming package through Rogers. You have to call and directly ask for this but you can buy 2 hour and 4 hour packages. It is much cheaper than doing the regular roaming and will work on the ship.

Hope this helps!

Hi all, don't know if this will be of much help, but...

On my Enchantment of the Seas cruise this past Dec. I borrowed one of my company's 8700r Blackberry (GSM) as I needed to be able to keep in touch w/family. As a company phone we have different packages than what a consumer would get, and I didn't use the phone as a 'cell phone' only for e-mail. It worked 24/7 both sending and receiving -- only 1 brief interruption in service on the return from Belize City back to FLL when we were near Cuba.

Archived