Who tips the solmmon&#@??, solmo%$#??...the wine steward??

Danno

Do you tip this person?? When and how much??? I have usally given them $50 (10 day)the final evening...I never knew if that was too much, just right or not enough.

I never could spell that word!!!

The Sommelier gets "tipped" every time I order a bottle of wine. That's at least one a night. I think that's enough. I've never had a Sommelier that was worth more than that on a cruise. Last 2 cruises they didn't have enough Sommeliers for the dining room. They ran around like chickens with their heads cut off.

The last two cruises we had OUTSTANDING service from our Sommelier's. One named Stephen, from England, on Galaxy, was the best we have ever had...an extra $5 per evening didn't seem excessive, perhaps not even enough.

On our cruises we always take our own wine. My husband and I both love drinking it with our dinners, however we don't want to spend more than $40-50 per night and can get a much better quality precruise and take aboard. We talk to the wine steward on the 1st night, inform him of our wine. Most nights they do not even bring a ticket to sign, however at the end of the cruise we give them about 75% of what the corkage fee (paid direct to the cruise line) would have been. This averages between $50-$100, depending on the cruise length.

I usually give them $10 to $20 the first night and then some based on service at the end of the cruise. I find the 'pretip' helps when they are short handed and insures that I never wait long for my wine! :D

Archived