Is Crystal cruise gay friendly?

I have friends that have sailed Crystal and swear by them...they are "gay friendly" however don't expect to incorporate some RSVP items like FOD, and put something on your door...but any cruise line that caters to well travelled people is very receptive to gay travellers...and for that kind of money if there not there are plenty of other cruise lines that you like your money!

My partner and I took our first Crystal cruise last month on the Harmony. Crystal is very gay friendly, in our opinion. There were no organized FOD parties as such, but it was easy to spot fellow "family" and socialize with one another. Also, many of the entertainment staff were gay and were eager to mix with passengers in the lounges (predominately the Avenue Saloon).

Here's an interesting thread from the Crystal board you'll probably like.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=54747

Re: Crystal

First trip was on the Harmony, doing a transatlantic, and there were about 90 other gay men, and there was an organized FOD party. Second on the Harmony in the Pacific had a handfull, and no party, but no problem. Third on Symphony, transatlantic only half full, and there were at least 45 of us. The Avenue Salon, esp. during karaoke, was the bar of choice for the group that trip. On Harmony, Stars Disco was THE place at night (is it even still there- it's been a few years since I was on the Harmony)

The only even remotely homophobic incident happened on a shore excursion, during a salmon dinner in Iceland, when, after saying that we were from San Francisco, our charming tablemate stated that it was a great city until the "fruits and nuts ruined it." His wife was mortified. Not to stereotype, but we did notice (as with many other lines) that second seating provided us with the more "sophisticated" dinnermates when it came to the gay issue.

Enjoy!

Archived