Skinny packing

karen sharpe

I tend towards consistent over packing and find I wear only 75 percent of what I brought. I am determined to pack lightly for our next 16 day cruise of the Med in June. I am trying to reduce my shoe count, coordinate my wardrobe around two colours and pack very lightweight travel clothes. These pants/shorts look interesting. I found them on the Landsend site. Has anyone tried them...are they worth it ...do they convert easily....are they really space saving????? Thanks Karen.:)

I have found that packing clothing that does double duty is a major factor for me. In warm climates, my full slip doubles as a nightgown, my tankini top can go with capris or be worn under a linen top with pants for casual dinners, etc.

I always take one long black formal skirt and 3 or 4 short-sleeve, silk Mandarin-style tops for semi-formal and formal nights and one pair of black dress pumps. Add sneakers and a pair of sandals and that is it for shoes.

I can pack 2 weeks of clothing in a carry-on as I do some hand washing inthe sink/shower and always have just enough.

The reality is, you should wear what you feel comfortable in. After all, most people are really concerned with what they are doing, not with what you are wearing!

That said, I would not bring these on a Med cruise. I have similar pants and they are great for hiking, but to me, would just look too "camping" for a cruise, especially when you were on shore.

I just don't think they would be very useful as a space saver. For me, a better compromise is sticking to a basic color scheme and having everything go together. For example, I have a black cotton, knee length crinkle skirt I wear everywhere that I purchased at REI. It can be washed in the sink and then rolled up to dry. It can be dressed up or down, depending on shoes and accessories.

By mixing and matching, you can get away with bringing much less than you think and would have room for a separate pair of pants AND shorts! Have fun on your trip!

I do the same thing as Rugrats ... I stick to a basic color combo ... browns, whites, and shades of blues and greens. That way, everything can go with everything else.

That said, I LOVE the concept of your pants! In fact, yesterday I bought a pair of pants at Ann Taylor Loft for my upcoming travels. They are longish capris, but roll up to shorter capris and up again to long shorts. They're that ripstop fabric, so they're lightweight and should dry quickly if they get wet. I figured, perfect for San Diego and Mexico if the weather gets in-betweenish.

I tend towards consistent over packing and find I wear only 75 percent of what I brought. I am determined to pack lightly for our next 16 day cruise of the Med in June. I am trying to reduce my shoe count, coordinate my wardrobe around two colours and pack very lightweight travel clothes. These pants/shorts look interesting. I found them on the Landsend site. Has anyone tried them...are they worth it ...do they convert easily....are they really space saving????? Thanks Karen.:)

I agree with the others about these...a little too outdoorsy for the Med. I'm doing a 12 day med cruise in August and will focus on a couple of colors to mix and match. I normally wear dresses and skirts but will be bringing a pair of khaki bermuda shorts and a pair of capris as well...and my flat roman sandals will go with everything (I'm even bringing a back-up pair just in case the first pair break...LOL). I saw these online yesterday...they might work for you:

http://exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=7d6e5f32-aeff-4fa8-addb-8ba86b9e9dc1&key=6710a1ed-d77a-4fdd-aab1-532466ce25d8

Ciao!

So Derf I just need to pack my smile!

Thank all for your input.. You may be right the pants may be a bit too rugged for some of the Med cities. Our cruise is so port intensive that the fact they had dual purpose and were so light appealed to me.I love Ann Taylor Clothes but of course we have no store locations in Canada .I did purchase a really cute Cargo skirt at Talbot's And may get a crinkle skirt for touring in Rome. Efficiency in packing is important but on what may be an energy sapping trip the clothes need to be very comfortable.

Buff coloured cargo skirt is somewhat similar to this picture but has a nice little belt.

I think the skirt idea is great. Not only can you wear it for port excursions, but it would double at casual night dinners, dressed up with a cute sweater set and pearls.

I'm currently on the future planning of a Med cruise, so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

What I'd like to know is, after watching several travel shows on TV, I'm paying attention to the background people (clothes!) and I see a lot of casual wear. I know it can get pretty warm in this region, so why do you all say the pants are too casual? While I'd not wear cargo style and I'd probably opt for a waistband, this fabric looks great for travel, for mix and match.

I checked the Ann Taylor Loft web site for the pants I bought, and they're not showing up online. Sorry.

I also wonder why the ones you have are too casual for the Med? I haven't been there, but generally speaking, when I travel (especially by cruise ship) I try NOT to look too much like a tourist. Are the cargo pants too "American" over in Europe?

I also like to wear skirts and dresses .. you can generally wear them an extra day between washings, unlike pants and shorts (usually). Capris are another great option, being kinda in-between if you're unsure of the weather.

I think the issue is not so much "not looking American" but the fact there are some dress expectations when visiting the historic and church sites i.e long pants and arms covered. Am I right??

And I will love dressing up for the fashion district in Florence.

I like the pants too Sailorgirl and I think I will order them anyways.I can always use them on another trip. We did a cruise of the British Isles 2 years ago and they would have been perfect.Cool in the mornings and warm in the afternoon.

KS I like sweater sets on a cruise too---you can dress them up or dress them down!

If the issue is being fully covered in certain places, like a cathedral, but casual is OK ... wear them as shorts but bring the bottom pieces with you in your bag. Zip them in for the tours you need them, and zip them off again when you're done. Seems PERFECT for that situation.[/quote

HEEHEE Maybe I should bring my pole too!:o

I have a process that I go by when I'm packing to go away for business or pleasure.

I take all the clothes that I'm planning to pack and spread them out on the bed.

Then I take all the money that I'm planning to take with me and spread it out too.

I take half the clothes and twice the money.

Works every time.

I've also learned that there are two types of airline luggage:

1. Carry on; and,
  2. Lost

Simply put, if I can't carry it onboard a plane with me, it doesn't come.

Karen - "The pants???.... I don't think so":eek: couldn't believe my eyes! Definately a NO" Now if you were going to sweat and hike MtVesuvious, I would say yes". Are you really dressing for schleping around Florence and Pisa? Hmmm.....

Need to try on articles from Land's End??? Drive north.......;)

Derf and Mrs Derf.. are you two behaving??;)

Not so good. Derfette has New-moan-you.

not good, hopefully she's drinking lots, taking antibiotics, doing deep breathing and coughing, and having you wait on her hand and foot!!:p Give her a big hug and tuck her in for the night... lots of rest!! When she's feeling better, get that girl onto a cruise ship somewhere hot and sunny!!

couldn't imagine pole dancing....... back, then the knees, and lastly the shoulders......... all would need a chiropractor!! And once the momentum of the abdominal flab starting to gyrate around the pole, I'd have black eyes:eek:

Oh mercy! You don't mean a STRIPPER POLE do you?! :eek: :D :D :D

All I can think of with all those zippers flying Sailorgirl!! Wonder if Magellan sells a collapsible pole??

OK Rykersdad if I take those pants people may think I can or would want to climb Mt Vesuvious !! So I think they may just stay safely at Lands end.:eek:

Archived