Skinny packing

karen sharpe

I think the skirt idea is great. Not only can you wear it for port excursions, but it would double at casual night dinners, dressed up with a cute sweater set and pearls.

I'm currently on the future planning of a Med cruise, so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

What I'd like to know is, after watching several travel shows on TV, I'm paying attention to the background people (clothes!) and I see a lot of casual wear. I know it can get pretty warm in this region, so why do you all say the pants are too casual? While I'd not wear cargo style and I'd probably opt for a waistband, this fabric looks great for travel, for mix and match.

Kathy, I am planning my clothes now for my 16th visit to Europe and helping the other 3 ladies in my group of 8 to plan as well. I prefer land vacations there as I find I miss out on too much when visiting by ship so my needs do not take formal wear into consideration this trip.

I will pack a wardrobe of black and brown. It will be late fall, harvest time in Tuscany, so skirts will be too cool for me. For two weeks, I will pack 4 pairs of black slacks, a silk turtleneck with long sleeves, 2-3 twin sets, a few silk ts, a cardigan, 2 pashminas to dress up outfits at night, 2 pair of walking shoes and a pair of low heeled dressier mules for evenings. Throw in a few workout outfits that can washed in the sink and I am ready to go.

If I were cruising I would pack the same, adding a pair of evening trousers in a matte jersey with a few tops, and some skirts and dresses. IMO, the fabrics are the biggest issue when packing light and still preferring to have options.

Zip off pants do not suit my personal style as they are rugged looking and not particularly feminine; I prefer smart and flexible when in Europe, with mix and match the best choice. I would never wear athletic shorts or shoes in the Med either. Linen and silk blend mid calf skirts are perfect for summer, look nice and get you in anywhere if worn with a proper top.

Good luck with your planning...I am counting down to my October trip already.

rykersdad, it is quite easy to be fashionable while trekking around Florence, a very fashionable city, and still be comfortable:).

Caviargirl, I totally agree with you! My first time in Europe, I learned the hard way that shorts and bare arms can be a problem when trying to get into churches, etc. I was surprised at the amount of linen clothing I saw there!

The type of skirts you mention are great; they are cool for summer and can be worn several times with different shirts. Add a light pasmina throw or a scarf and you totally change the look. This type of clothing doesn't take up much space while packing.

Caviargirl, I totally agree with you! My first time in Europe, I learned the hard way that shorts and bare arms can be a problem when trying to get into churches, etc. I was surprised at the amount of linen clothing I saw there!

Sometimes when a rest-you-want requires a man to wear a jacket and tie and men arrive without them. The made-ra-dee has one to loan them.

Should be the same for churches on a tour. Ap-pro-ri-ate wear for woman for rent

Sometimes when a rest-you-want requires a man to wear a jacket and tie and men arrive without them. The made-ra-dee has one to loan them.

Should be the same for churches on a tour. Ap-pro-ri-ate wear for woman for rent

I have never been offered a coverup at a church in Italy and I do not think it is their responsibility to provide one, rather the visitor should be respectfully dressed.

Hi, Karen,

I bought a pair of pants like those last year for a trip I made to Dominica. We flew there and had to travel light, and because I am usually cool on planes I wore them to fly there and when we landed it was very hot and humid, no air conditioning in the tiny airport there. I just zipped off the bottoms and had on shorts.

I know everyone says they look like you are going on a hike, which I guess they do, but because I like to look a bit more dressy than hiking attire to travel I wore a nice tank top shirt with a larger shirt with sleeves over it. I dressed things up with a bangle bracelet, and a shell necklace. Of course though I was going to an island in the Caribbean Sea so, it worked out nicely.

Never been to the Med or any further into Europe than London so I can't really give advice on that area. When we were in London it was winter so no chances there of sleeveless or shorts either for that matter.

Hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy!

Cindy

Kathy, I am planning my clothes now for my 16th visit to Europe and helping the other 3 ladies in my group of 8 to plan as well. I prefer land vacations there as I find I miss out on too much when visiting by ship so my needs do not take formal wear into consideration this trip.

I will pack a wardrobe of black and brown. It will be late fall, harvest time in Tuscany, so skirts will be too cool for me. For two weeks, I will pack 4 pairs of black slacks, a silk turtleneck with long sleeves, 2-3 twin sets, a few silk ts, a cardigan, 2 pashminas to dress up outfits at night, 2 pair of walking shoes and a pair of low heeled dressier mules for evenings. Throw in a few workout outfits that can washed in the sink and I am ready to go.

If I were cruising I would pack the same, adding a pair of evening trousers in a matte jersey with a few tops, and some skirts and dresses. IMO, the fabrics are the biggest issue when packing light and still preferring to have options.

Zip off pants do not suit my personal style as they are rugged looking and not particularly feminine; I prefer smart and flexible when in Europe, with mix and match the best choice. I would never wear athletic shorts or shoes in the Med either. Linen and silk blend mid calf skirts are perfect for summer, look nice and get you in anywhere if worn with a proper top.

Good luck with your planning...I am counting down to my October trip already.

rykersdad, it is quite easy to be fashionable while trekking around Florence, a very fashionable city, and still be comfortable:).

Thanks, I'll be cutting and pasting these ideas as it will be our first trip to Europe (can't wait). We really haven't completely settled on a cruise, we are still considering a land trip as well. It's to celebrate my sister and husbands 40th anniversary and my husbands 60th birthday, so it's a pretty big deal for all of us.

I've never bought a pair of cargo pants and never a pair of zip-off pants, doubt that I ever would, but to each his own ;) . I do appreciate any and all tips regarding clothes. I have a lot already, the cruise part (onboard sea days, dinner every night) is a no-brainer for me, but the ports will be a different experience.

I like the idea of skirts, especially in a knit, but what shoes to wear with them? I'm definitely a comfort shoe type of person and cannot see walking around all day in heels, even low heels. Can I successfully wear a flat shoe with a skirt that can stand up to walking?

Although I've been reading a lot about Italy (primarily where we all want to go), I'm feeling pretty green about the clothes thing. We've travelled quite a bit in our lives, but never to Europe, only in the states and Canada. We're thinking that a cruise might be a good introduction, with a couple of pre-cruise days in Rome and post cruise days (probably 4) in Tuscany.

Our cousin is pining to go to a cooking school in Tuscany and we want her to be satisfied with the trip as well. Over half of our intended group has little to no interest in cooking, so we're thinking a 2-3 day cooking school for those who want to attend.

I like the idea of skirts, especially in a knit, but what shoes to wear with them? I'm definitely a comfort shoe type of person and cannot see walking around all day in heels, even low heels. Can I successfully wear a flat shoe with a skirt that can stand up to walking?

Although I've been reading a lot about Italy (primarily where we all want to go), I'm feeling pretty green about the clothes thing. We've travelled quite a bit in our lives, but never to Europe, only in the states and Canada. We're thinking that a cruise might be a good introduction, with a couple of pre-cruise days in Rome and post cruise days (probably 4) in Tuscany.

Our cousin is pining to go to a cooking school in Tuscany and we want her to be satisfied with the trip as well. Over half of our intended group has little to no interest in cooking, so we're thinking a 2-3 day cooking school for those who want to attend.

How exciting!

Kathy, I would strongly suggest you consider a land trip. There is so much to experience in the early mornings and in the evenings. The "passagiata" is a great time of day and I love sitting in a cafe on one of the dozens of piazzas and having a coffee or a glass of wine.

My mom and brother did a one week cooking school in Tuscany three years ago, followed by 4 days in Florence and a few in Venice and enjoyed it.

slowtrav.com is an excellent source of info on Italy with a very active message board. Check it out:). There are several contributors who run cooking schools in Florence and in the smaller Tuscan towns.

Re shoes with skirts, I have a pair of Clarks woven black leather slides that have great support and look cute with longer skirts. I also have a pair of Donald Pliner low heeled mules that are dressier that I wear in the evenings with long knit skirts and slacks.

Thanks, caviargal, I'll look up the website you mention and appreciate any help :)

While I'm doing a lot of info gathering and research, the final decision will not be just my own. Several people in our group are leaning towards the cruise and I have only one vote!

This is family and friends we've all travelled with before, I don't know how many will actually be going. While the land trip appeals to me very much, the cruise may win out because of sheer numbers. Cruise travelling sounds a whole lot easier than trying to keep a group of 8 or more together and satisfied! The thought of getting off in port and DH and I going our own way is very appealing to me.

I love these people, but I don't know that I could spend 24/7 with them on a land trip ;)

http://www.lavecchiascuola.com/amateur_cooking.html

www.divinacucina.com/

www.accidentaltourist.com

Kathy, I like personal space as well. When I plan a trip for a group as I am this year for Italy, I generally plan one "must do" in the morning, book the tickets, etc. then everyone is on their own with the option of getting together for dinner. This seems to work for everyone as we all have different expectations of a trip and different tastes.

I also book private guides for certain visits, i.e, this fall I have a private guide for St. Peters and the Vatican, another for Ancient Rome. It personalizes everything a bit more.

Hi Lynn I have a cousin by that name too!

Caviargirl your fashion advice is very good and I intend to coordinate my cruise clothes around 3 colours --light blue ,ivory and brown. I spent more than I wanted on baby blue cashmere sweaters when in Palm Springs but it has given me a good focal point around which to plan my wardrobe theme.

Because this is such a port intensive cruise (14 ports in 16 days) and I want comfort as a priority when touring I will be wearing a lot of tailored cotton twills and walking shoes or ortho sandals.And because 8 of us are going the second priority is to just have fun. I have jackets and sweater sets that I can carry with me to dress up the casual outfits a bit if necessary.

This is our first trip to the Med and this cruise is like kindergarden for us . It is meant to show us some areas of interest so we can return later and spend a few months in each area.

We have already lined up a private guide for the Rome tour on one day and the Vatican on the foll day.. I have also arranged a guide to take us from Livorno to Pisa and then to Florence.Arranging it was almost too easy---hope they both show up!

Scubacindy I would dress those cargo shorts up too---still think I will order them to see what they're like! Karen.

Hi There,

We were in Italy last fall and I suggest you wear whatever makes you comfortable. I prefer skirts, they are easier to dress up or down with belts and tops. You will look like a tourist no matter what you wear as the Italians have a flair all their own.

Footwear was a big concern for me as I had read about how the cobblestones were so hard on the feet. My concerns were for not. Any shoe with decent support will work. Although it was the beginning of October it was still warm and I ended up wearing my sandals most of the time.

If you are considering a bus land tour vs. a cruise they are very different. The bus tours are much more fast paced, up and out by 7:00 usually and have little time for personal space but you do see the countryside and you get to eat more of the great Italian food.

It will be a great experience either way. Enjoy.

Have done the Med a few times and I tend to take skirts that I can dress up or down. You will be more comfortable if you decide to go into the Cathedrals. Wear what makes you comfortable. When you're in port, there is no dress code unless you are going into the churches. I pack two colors. Last time, I was 95% and this time, I plan to wear 100% of what I brought. I pack black and brown: flowy, ankle length skirt, gauchos and slacks in black, gauchos and slacks in black and brown and a good variety of tops. I lay out every outfit as I know what we will have for dress before the trip and that's it!

Hi Caviargal,

When you say you will be in Tuscany late fall, when would that be?

I am asking because we are taking a fall cruise and will be spending about a week in the Abruzzo region (east of Rome) prior to boarding our ship on Oct. 28th. We'll also be in Tuscany for 1 day.

I was leaning towards packing some capris and more summery tops plus a couple of twinsets (and my umbrella).

I looked up weather for last year and our stops are around 70ish daytime, 50ish evening.

Wondering if it'll be too cool for that and maybe I should bring just long pants. Any thoughts?

Thanks

winewanderer, I arrive in Venice on 18 October then move on to Florence for a week and wind up in Rome. Based on previous trips that time of year, I would expect Venice to be cooler and damp, Florence to be as you state and Rome not very different. I would consider adding a pashmina for cooler days ( on the ship as well) and a lightweight jacket for evenings. I will be packing an unlined leather trench I had made in Florence ten years ago that spans seasons for me.

How wonderful that you are spending time in Italy and not just while on the ship. A week in Abruzzo will be delightful:).

I am not a capri fan as they are really not worn in Europe except at the beach and seaside resorts in summer; I would opt for lighter weight slacks and twin sets personally. The Italians are sophisticated in terms of fashion and I prefer to dress to fit in rather than stand out.

I live in FL so my version of cold is likely different from many but the weather can change on a dime that time of year so I would not base your wardrobe on summer selections.

JMO.

Archived