Shopping in Palma

Palma is a very sophisticated European city and the shopping in Palma reflects this. There is a lovely pedestrianised area with lots of boutiques, great shoe shops and jewellers. There is also an "El Corte Ingles" department store. These are the best stores in Spain for browsing - have spent many happy hours in these stores. The one in Palma is not as big as some (Barcelona store is fab) but worth a visit. Have fun.

Actually, I think there are two branches of El Corte Ingles - one on Placa Espana, the other on Avenida Juan Carlos (or near it). I think the former branch is newer & larger, the other is older, smaller but possibly smarter. It's certainly surrounded by a large number of other smaller, smart shops.

In many ways Palma is a smaller version of Barcelona (without the Modernista architecture). Both cities are major centres of government, administration & commerce, and thus have a local population with a high proportion of wealthy discerning professionals. Although Palma is smaller, there is a huge amount of money in Mallorca and a lot of it gets spent in Palma....

Is anything open on Sunday for shopping?

The website for El Corte Ingles in Palma gives opening hours for 'working days' and 'holidays' but nothing else. So I would think that it is shut on Sundays. And if they're shut, so will most other shops be.

Archived