Pools on Noordam?

Birdiegk1

Which pool is ADULT only?

No matter what any printed pool rules and regulations might say, in reality neither of the pools are 'adult only'. There have been regs, I believe, that say the aft pool is adult only, but rules of any kind are rarely if ever enforced so as not to make any pax angry. :rolleyes:

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Having been on the New Year's sailing, I can tell you that both pools are fresh water. The aft pool is for adults only, and we did not see any children in them. When our 6 DS was in Club Hal, we did get to enjoy the aft pool. But let me tell you, it's a lot colder than the Lido pool!

No matter what any printed pool rules and regulations might say, in reality neither of the pools are 'adult only'. There have been regs, I believe, that say the aft pool is adult only, but rules of any kind are rarely if ever enforced so as not to make any pax angry. :rolleyes:

After a prior thread on this subject, I made it a point to check this out on the Veendam in December. The posted rules were the same for both pools: no unsupervised children under 14.

The first daily bulletin of the week said "GROWN UPS ONLY PLEASE! Our Navigation Deck "Seaview" pool, Deck 10, aft, is designated as our adults only quiet relaxation, swim, and layout area. We ask that 'family time' be around the Lido Pool on deck 11." Every bulletin after that, in the section giving the pool hours, stated "Adults Only Please!" (Their italics and caps in both quotes.) I did not see any children in the aft pool all week, though there may have been at times.

After a prior thread on this subject, I made it a point to check this out on the Veendam in December. The posted rules are the same for both pools: no unsupervised children under 14.....

Yes, this was the situation we encountered on the Amsterdam in December. The posted signs for both pools only stipulated that unsupervised children could not use the aft pool. There were several family groups on this holiday cruise, and there were families using both pools. Neither the ship's daily program nor the Club HAL rules forbade children from using either pool, they simply stated that it was the duty of parents to supervise their children at the pools, as there is no life guard on duty. It was a non-issue anyway, as there were only 80 children/teens total on the cruise, and they were frequently in the company of their parents/grandparents/extended family members. We noticed no unsupervised children in the aft pool while we were there.

The pool restrictions may vary from cruise to cruise and ship to ship, depending on the numbers of youngsters onboard; I don't know.

... Neither the ship's daily program nor the Club HAL rules forbade children from using either pool, ... The pool restrictions may vary from cruise to cruise and ship to ship, depending on the numbers of youngsters onboard; I don't know.

I doubt that it would vary with the number of children aboard, but it may be up to the Captain to decide how strongly the request is worded in the daily program ... or omitted entirely.

The pools on Noordam (both of them) are filled with de-salinated seawater, which is then chlorinated & tested on a regular basis. Both pools are also heated. (John attended a presentation by the Environmental Officer who addressed these issues :) ).

The tap water on-board is also de-salinated seawater. It tasted different than my well water here at home, but to me, any treated water does. All public water is treated, regardless of the source (I work for a water company :D ).

Neither of us remember seeing signs actually AT the pools regarding who could use them. However, in the daily program, every day where the pool & hot tubs hours were noted, there's a line "mid family & aft adult". To me, that's simply not enough signage.

Seeing that poster has not sailed on this Noordam, those that have are correct. My point is this, things change; what one poster may find has been true in the past may not be true now through no fault of the poster, he/she just doesn't realize that what they have posted is no longer accurate. I have found that something I knew about sailing on Rotterdam in 2004 is no longer true today. Hopefully, the change is for the better.

To help those discussing the pool water.

The aft pool on the S & R class ships is, unless it changed recently, salt water. I understand its to do with the amount of fresh water making equipment onboard not being able to produce the amount of fresh water required. On the newer Vista class ships both pools are fresh water as they have more equipment.

Concerning the post stating de-salinated water is not fresh water. Isn't most fresh water just naturally desalinated, either through rock or evaporation, sea water? All they do on the ships is filter or evaporate the sea water mechanically instead.

A titbit of information for those who live in cities. By the time water gets to the city of London (England) it is estimated that as it travels from the mountains to the city the water passes through approximately 7 sets of human kidneys before it gets to the city dwellers near the coast.:eek:

Archived