Opting out of formal night?

sharonny

Do many people NOT go to formal night? I understand that there are other dining options. Will I be missing anything other than dressing up and lobster? We will be on the Elation in April. :)

I don't think so.. on our 1st cruise we didn't do formal night at all.. on our 2nd cruise we only did 1 night.. plenty of food around .. it is your call whether you enjoy the dressing up factor ( and yes maybe the lobster):)

I'm not sure how many people opt out of formal night. It always seems that the dining room is more full than on a regular night.

This will be our 3rd cruise. DH has agreed to rent a tux to wear as a treat for me since he certainly doesn't care. After this cruise I would consider opting out of formal night. (I live in New England...lobster is much better here anyway:p)

When we first started cruising, hy DH grumbled, and grumbled about formal night. He hated dressing up but he did it for me. I have a closet full of cocktail dresses, and I don't have much opportunity to wear them around New Mexico.

Now he actually enjoys it, even owns his own tux.

It's not for everyone, so try it. If you don't think of it as something you HAVE to do, you might end up having fun looking all sharp. Men look so handsome in their tux's, the women ALL look beautiful...I love formal night. I love the dining room experience. In..??? 13/14 cruises I'd have to count ,we have never missed a formal night.

Like the other posters said, there is plenty of food around. If it's not for you, maybe you could plan something in your cabin, or just order a pizza...

It's your vacation, if dressing up isn't your thing, there are many other options. You could always call ahead to the Maitre'd and ask them...at dinner time to fix you a plate. They have done this for other people who for one reson, or another didn't come to dinner.

Do many people NOT go to formal night? I understand that there are other dining options. Will I be missing anything other than dressing up and lobster? We will be on the Elation in April. :)

Nope... that's all you will miss. It's a night of dressing up and socializing... lots of photo ops. It's a very enjoyable night.

There are many folks who do not participate in formal nights. We had two Franciscan Priests sitting at our table who did not want to dress up.

I just don't understand why so many people get up tight about formal nights.

:confused" I've been on over 40 cruises and on formal night I've seen men in tuexedos, dark suits, sports jacket & slacks, sport shirt and slacks. Also have seen women in beautiful long gowns, short dresses, pants suits, etc.

NEVER have I seen anyone denied entry to the dining room regardless of how they were dressed. Of course I don't think anyone should try to go a formal night in blue jeans and a t-shirt, but a tux and gown are certainly not mandatory. :rolleyes: So just dress nicely and enjoy the lobster and the baked alaska on formal nights. ;)

DH and I usually do the first formal night and skip the second, if there is one. (I like to get at least one formal portrait done on a cruise.) Never had any problem finding food - on the night that we don't dress up we just go to the buffet.

During 9 cruises, we have only attended 2 or 3 formal nights. We have had LOTS of company in the buffet from other cruisers who skipped them too. I'm not into lobster or prime rib, and I like to travel with only 1 suitcase that I can carry on myself. Enough said. You will find plenty of other food (and company) if you skip the formal nights.

We also only attend the first formal night, it gives us a chance to look nice one day out of the cruie and it is also the only time our family is all dressed up at once for our yearly portait.

Second formal we usually just order a pizza and take it back to the cabin and have a peaceful dinner on our balcony.

I hate to dress up. That being said Ill put on a dress to get to eat in the dining room at night. I dont get real fancy, but enough no one has complained. I have a couple of formal dresses, but they are tight. Just wear a long dress that is comfortable.

Me, I would not miss the lobster and its worth putting on a dress. Anyone will tell you Im a tomboy otherwise and live in shorts and/or jeans and tee shirts.

Just go to formal night as you would any other night if you like. Not everyone brings formal clothes with them. There is no reason to skip dinner in the dining room because of formal night.

If this the case, then I would. We do plan on dining in the diningroom and yes looking presentable (no jeans ;) ). Was under the impression that it was neceassary to dress for the occassion. Did plan on going formal, but today DH and I were talking and discussed the possibility of opting out instead of outfitting all of us (myself, DH, 2 DS's). I'm sure this was to his delight but it's up to me. We just plan to relax and relax along with some relaxing. Are photo ops available to everyone regardless of attire?

If this the case, then I would. We do plan on dining in the diningroom and yes looking presentable (no jeans ;) ). Was under the impression that it was neceassary to dress for the occassion. Did plan on going formal, but today DH and I were talking and discussed the possibility of opting out instead of outfitting all of us (myself, DH, 2 DS's). I'm sure this was to his delight but it's up to me. We just plan to relax and relax along with some relaxing. Are photo ops available to everyone regardless of attire?

I saw one family do real casual photos....shorts, barefeet, and it looked really nice. We did not do formal night on our last cruise. We enjoyed a quiet dinner at the Seaview and had most of the place to ourselves.

The first 3 cruises we went on I never saw the formal dining room. Was just to busy having fun to take the time to dress up and we never went hungry. On out last cruise did do the 1st formal night and a couple other nights but really I just enjoy grabbing something from the buffet and staying in comfy clothes.

Are photo ops available to everyone regardless of attire?

Yes - AND they are not limited to the formal evenings. They take casual pics on other nights too. Have fun with it. We took some pics on our Hawaiian cruise where DD & I had the same dress and DH had a matching shirt. I told him he only had to do it for the photo and then he could change so he didn't feel stupid. The pictures turned out great (we did a white background) and he ended up staying in it all night. DD is the one that hates dresses and changed right after dinner. :eek: On our holiday cruise, I am bringing santa hats and will make sure we have a picture taken with them (embarkation photo with the hats would be fun!) We had them with us last time, but didn't think of using them for the photos.

We are very casual people. I'm certainly not against dressing up. The thought of spending the time getting myself all dolled up (no it doesn't come naturally ;) it takes time) and getting the kids spiffy looking isn't doing anything for me right now. I'm all for just taking it easy dining in the diningroom a time or two, hitting the buffet, grabbing a pizza or whatever, enjoying a show or two, having a few colorful drinks with good friends and new friends and above all relaxing. As of right now I will not be going shopping to outfit my family for formal wear :D.

I will be taking advantage of the photo ops in casual wear. suziehmkr - love the idea with Hawaiian shirts. Will be thinking of an idea for my family.

I hate to dress up. That being said Ill put on a dress to get to eat in the dining room at night. I dont get real fancy, but enough no one has complained. I have a couple of formal dresses, but they are tight. Just wear a long dress that is comfortable.

Me, I would not miss the lobster and its worth putting on a dress. Anyone will tell you Im a tomboy otherwise and live in shorts and/or jeans and tee shirts.

Growing up with five older brothers in the mountains of Colorado...no one is more of a tomboy than me. Whether it's holding a rifle, a fishing pole, a shovel, or carrying a 45lb pack as I hike up past timberline to camp overnight. I prefer jeans, and a ponytail, or sweats when I'm lounging.

But put a long black dress on me, put my hair, strap on the high heels, I'll walk like a model, and act like a lady.;) My husband loves that I am a walking contradiction.

We're going on our first cruise in May. We are doing one formal night at my insistance. Why? Because dh and I haven't had a real pic taken since our wedding 26 yrs ago. I hate having my pic taken, but have come to realize that having my pic taken is not something I do for me, it's something I should do for those who love me.

As for the rest of the cruise...I'll be happy to eat pizza on my balcony every night.:D

We are on the Destiny next June. Do not mind dressing nice but do not really want to fly formal clothes half way around the world. The only reason we would like to eat in the dining room is to order wine. Can you order wine in the buffet area? Do not remember seeing a wine glass on the lido deck.

This will probably be the last cruise we book on Carnival or any other line that "pretends" to have formal nights. Just not our cup of tea.

MexicoBob

We are on the Destiny next June. Do not mind dressing nice but do not really want to fly formal clothes half way around the world. The only reason we would like to eat in the dining room is to order wine. Can you order wine in the buffet area? Do not remember seeing a wine glass on the lido deck.

This will probably be the last cruise we book on Carnival or any other line that "pretends" to have formal nights. Just not our cup of tea.

MexicoBob

If you can catch a waiter in the buffet area then you can order wine. If you don't see any waiters (just table cleaners) then you can walk up to the bar and order it yourself and take it to your table.

I guess I am not sure what this means... pretends? You can go as formal as you want to go. Why does it matter what others wear? We even had people all decked out on NYE (embarkation day) and it wasn't even a formal night. They dressed that way because they wanted to and didn't care what others were wearing.

Archived