New Airline Luggage Regulations--Coming soon to our Airlines?

diboja

Looks like I will just have to suck it up, stop whining and put up with the issues - because for the $2436 extra I can put up with a lot (unless I rob a bank)

And that's how I look at it. Flying is a necessary evil and before I pay a fortune for first class air, I'll just deal with the cramped conditions as best I can.

Interesting note, though ... I have to fly to Tampa April 1st to board the Veendam for a TransAtlantic. I just happened to realize that I had a nice chunk of bonus points on my AmEx card ... enough to book a one-way first class ticket for less than a Coach one would have cost. It'll be my first time flying first class, but since this is almost a three-hour flight, I figured blowing all the bonus points was worth it. Of course, I could have probably gotten a Coach ticket for free ... and still had some bonus points left over ... but I try not to think about that. :)

Just to make y'all feel better this morning - when I awoke it was -38C (-36F)

Cripes, my furnace is burning up more extra gas in a month than what I would pay for 3 extra pieces of luggage!! ;)

I don't even want to see my gas bill for this month. It should arrive today or tomorrow, and if you hear some screaming out there in Canada, don't be concerned. That's just me losing my mind. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

How on earth can someone leaving for a two week vacation possibly get everything into one bag ... and have that bag possibly meet the airline's weight limitations?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have done a three week trip with only one bag. Just take the basics, plan on having a dry-clean day (for jackets, especially), and take along a large bottle of FeBreeze...or purchase the same idea at the destination. Socks and delicates can be washed each evening in the hotel and, if not dry the next morning, given a once-over with the blow dryer.

When needs-must, it can be done. Frankly, I'd rather have more room in a suitcase for souvenirs:D

Added to the problem of paying for a second checked bag---how much clothes we can stuff into a carryon may not help. British Airways has a ruling that on all flights within the United Kingdom and all flights leaving the United Kingdom, there are NO carryons allowed---evidently not even a purse. The web site states that a wallet and necessary medications are the only things allowed on the flights, and those must be in a clear plastic bag. That means that on our return flight home after a 3 week trip, we have to fit everything into one checked bag or pay more.:(

What does one do about valuables? Camera, jewelry, laptop etc? TRUST they won't be lost or stolen? So many suitcases are lost each year and there are so many thefts from luggage. Cross BA off my 'comfort zone' list.

I wouldn't mind paying more if the airline employees were not such a rude bunch. I've encountered it at check-in, on the plane and on the phone. But, another thought, why is Southwest's profits booming and the others are all bankrupt? Seems to me like bad management.

Then raise the bloody rates! Plus it is gouging to a degree - next you know we will be charged to use the bathroom facilities on the aircraft!

I fly to receive service, quality and be comfortable - remember those days????

Can't get a decent meal, can't get a pillow, can't listen to music/newscasts - no headsets, wait in line like sheep to check-in, etc, etc, etc

I don't want to be nickel-dimed at every move PLUS receiving virtually no service whatsoever..

I don't want to fly with a carrier that is losing money either - but is this what the flying public want? Complete lack of consideration for the passenger!

I would gladly pay 40 or 50 bucks more to get a wee bit of service and consideration back as it used to be.

Hey nothing stopping you from buying your own G4. :rolleyes: Or fying first class, where these restrictions are not in effect. :eek:

The market is what the market is. :rolleyes:

jc

About a month ago I noticed that American was charging extra for curbside check-in. I did not see it at any other airline.

when we flew to san diego in january southwest was also charging at curbside --- i thought it was a way to gurarantee a tip to the skycap doing the work

BA hand luggage rules are also changed now - one piece of hand luggage (no specific weight but must be able to carry on and lift without help) no bigger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. I think the restrictions regarding fluids have also been lifted, albeit not everything is allowed. All the restrictions were due to the terrorist threat last year which, thankfully, was foiled but obviously it is essential that we must always remain vigilent.

BA hand luggage rules are also changed now - one piece of hand luggage (no specific weight but must be able to carry on and lift without help) no bigger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. I think the restrictions regarding fluids have also been lifted, albeit not everything is allowed. All the restrictions were due to the terrorist threat last year which, thankfully, was foiled but obviously it is essential that we must always remain vigilent.
The only liquids you will be allowed must fit in a one quart ziplock bag. Each individual bottle must be 3 ounces or less. Sodas, coffee, bottled water and other liquids purchased in the sterile area of the airport are also allowed.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

The only deviation from this I saw was when flying home from Japan twice in the last two months. They allow a one liter bag with 100 milliliter bottles. Both are slightly larger than the TSA limits.

As is just about everybody else. We want the lower prices, but we want all the comfort and service too. It's not gonna work that way. It can't.

As for selling the aisle seats ... I saw that on a segment of the news a couple of months back. They were talking about how all the airlines are having difficulty staying afloat, and some of the ideas they were planning to implement to boost their sagging profit margins. Some of the things mentioned were charging coach passengers for a blanket and a pillow, charging for soft drinks and snacks, and charging a premium for certain "preferred seating," such as the bulkhead and aisle seats. Believe me, those changes are coming. Frankly, I'm surprised many of them have not already been implemented.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'll take the bare bones any day. I started flying with Southwest Airlines back in the late 70s, when the stewardesses wore "hot pants" and passed out peanut and free alcoholic drinks. The prices were pretty low then. No seat assignment and everyone just lined up like cattle. I never heard anyone complained.

The main reason I dislike flying now is due to 9/11 ensuing changes.

Most recently took Air Tahiti Nui (LA to Tahiti) and was satisfied with the service in coach which included 2 meals and unlimited wine. On the return (Honolulu to DFW) via American Airlines, we came prepared for bare bones and survived the 8 hour ride. We simply will adapt and only fly when necessary.

But, another thought, why is Southwest's profits booming and the others are all bankrupt? Seems to me like bad management.

The major airlines have more planes, more routes, more flights, more convenient times, better connections, international partners, use major airports, pay a major price for gate time and support, historically compensated their more experienced crew with higher wages and have all the baggage that used to be associated with so-called luxury air travel. Their primary market was the business traveler who could and would pay for convenience and extra service.

SW's niche is alternative airports, less frequent flights, niche markets with an emphasis on shorter hauls, a younger crew, no meals and no reserved seats. They reinvented the business model for air travel and by cutting the frills and overhead, and are able to go toe-to toe with the majors on some routes.

Pax, especially leisure pax, flocked to SW and forced the majors to compete on price. And to do so, the majors have had to reduce their pax service/support, enterprise-wide. And clearly we don't like it but sure don't want to pay for it. So instead we resent it.

So now, we pax tend to compare what once was to what now is. SW does not have to do this cause they don't have a history of being more than they are.

(SW also did a better job hedging fuel costs. Most analysts think this was a one off.)

So now the major airlines have to reinvent themselves, to survive. Some will. And some will not. SW and similar discounters are the future of profitable air travel. And the fun has just begun.

Added to the problem of paying for a second checked bag---how much clothes we can stuff into a carryon may not help. British Airways has a ruling that on all flights within the United Kingdom and all flights leaving the United Kingdom, there are NO carryons allowed---evidently not even a purse. The web site states that a wallet and necessary medications are the only things allowed on the flights, and those must be in a clear plastic bag. That means that on our return flight home after a 3 week trip, we have to fit everything into one checked bag or pay more.:(

I thought this rule was relaxed or was it just on other airlines flying in and out of the UK. Have BA kept these restrictions in place. My son flew back ot Auckland on Singapore Airlines, he likes to travel light in the cabin but was carrying a computer bag.

Maybe you folk living up in North America are not aware that for a lot of the world and for people flying economy, restrictions are already in place. Flying out of NZ or Australia via the east enroute to Europe or the UK you are only allowed one check in bag weighing 20KG, and one carry on up to 7 KG anything over this is very heavily paid for per KG. This seems to have been slowly implemented over the last 2 or 3 years. Flying up through the US you are allowed 2 bags at 23 KG plus cabin bag up to 7 KG. There are no exceptions now, go over and you pay. 20KG when you are travelling abroad especially going from summer to winter, is not a hec of a lot, but thats the way it is and I can only assume that US carriers will slowly start to implement this also. We are flying up there late August and also doing a 10day cruise, but we have already decided that formal wear will not be a priority and also we are going to restrict what clothing we take and we will restrict ourselves to 1 bag each at 23 kg. Possibly check a small bag on top of this with shoes only, not sure yet. When we went up last year to join the Statendam for 5 weeks we were loaded down with 3 large bags for the 2 of us, never again, when we were packing to leave the ship we both looked at each other and said this is "b" ridiculous we did not really need half this stuff. Whats wrong with wearing the same formal wear every formal night, who else is really all that interested in what you are wearing?

I do not want to appear to harsh or anti American as I have been accused of, however the other thought I would like to add, is climate warming/change etc. Did you all read about HRH the Prince of Wales when he flew over to the US to accept some environmental award, he was slated for even taking an aircraft. More and more environmentalists are going to put pressure for planes to stop flying, how long is it now before airfares become available only for the rich and famous and most folk are going to be priced right out of equasion! Reading some of these posts it occurs to me that some people just have no idea what goes on in the rest of the world, and maybe don't care as long as they can carry more luggage to join a cruise ship.

Of course I am old enough to remember when one had to go by sea because like I said air was only for the very wealthy, they were great days, what wondeful times were had by all who went to sea back in those days :D Its only really recently occured to me that I have already done my world cruising many years ago and was able to carry all my household goods with me also. :)

I was wondering how long this thread would go before someone started bashing us ugly Americans for being so self-centered that we dare to check 2 bags. :) Sorry, Chivalrygirl ... but you won the prize for this thread! :D ;)

That aside, I would much prefer crossing by sea than flying. :) But ... I don't think we'll see air-flight being done away with over environmental issues. In 25 years, when the current sun-cycle of exaggerated Solar Maximums is waning and the atmosphere starts to cool a bit again, we'll start hearing about global cooling ...again (remember the ice age scares of the 1970s?).

As I learned in my Astronomy classes during college, the Sun is a G2v type star, with enough variability to cause some significant swings (i.e., ice ages alternating with periods of extensive global warming) in climatic conditions. Mars is warming too ... but we don't fly jets there (just two small electric, sun-powered rovers).

I was wondering how long this thread would go before someone started bashing us ugly Americans for being so self-centered that we dare to check 2 bags. :) Sorry, Chivalrygirl ... but you won the prize for this thread! :D ;)

That aside, I would much prefer crossing by sea than flying. :) But ... I don't think we'll see air-flight being done away with over environmental issues. In 25 years, when the current sun-cycle of exaggerated Solar Maximums is waning and the atmosphere starts to cool a bit again, we'll start hearing about global cooling ...again (remember the ice age scares of the 1970s?).

As I learned in my Astronomy classes during college, the Sun is a G2v type star, with enough variability to cause some significant swings (i.e., ice ages alternating with periods of extensive global warming) in climatic conditions. Mars is warming too ... but we don't fly jets there (just two small electric, sun-powered rovers).

I agree Rev! I love the climate change folks. Talk about science challenged people. It is amazing how easy it is to convince people of anything. The religion that you espouse reverend Neal is based on your faith. The religion of global warming is based on the exact same faith in this phony science. Micheal Chricton MD author, and anthropologist said it best in a speech a couple of years ago.

I hope chivalrygirl and others who believe this nonsense will read this allow their minds to be opened. It is a fascinating speech by him. I am sure this was the genesis for his recent best selling novel "State of Fear".

http://www.crichton-official.com/speeches/speeches_quote05.html

jc

For our 50 day cruise in 05 we started out with just two suitcases both under the limit - but did buy a duffel bag to bring home souvenirs etc. Flew home from Sidney and didn't have any problem with having the duffel too - probably because, put together, they all came in under the allowed limit for two.

we wore our formal gear several times and used the $12 laundry bag and the self-service laundry and bought a couple of t-shirts to eke out the supply of clothes. I noticed that most people were doing the same thing and appeared in the same outfits multiple times.

With us it is not the cost of extra cases but the difficulty of handling them. DH has mobility problems and I have a bad back so we try to keep our luggage light and less.

I agree with environmentalists that humans can really foul up our environment on a local scale with all sorts of pollution. And, of course, no one is really in favor of indiscriminate pollution.

However, the sun and our planet's own systems (like vulcanism) have far more impact on the planet-wide ecosystem than do humans. The current global warming hysteria is pushed by a politicized power-grab that feeds upon ignorance and fear and ... yes ... is dependent upon some evidence, but evidence that is interpreted and extrapolated from in ways that go far beyond warrants. In other words ... yes, the planet is warming up. But the CAUSE of the warming is anything but the direct result of human activity. While we may have contributed to it in an infinitesimal, indirect, and highly localized fashion, the overwhelming evidence is that the planet has long gone through extensive swings of heating and cooling, all relatively coordinate with peaks and valleys in solar activity.

2 pieces of luggage on an airplane won't impact the atmosphere one way or the other. Besides, the airlines will just make up the difference with paying cargo ... which is probably why they may someday reduce the baggage allowance.

I agree with environmentalists that humans can really foul up our environment on a local scale with all sorts of pollution. And, of course, no one is really in favor of indiscriminate pollution.

However, the sun and our planet's own systems (like vulcanism) have far more impact on the planet-wide ecosystem than do humans. The current global warming hysteria is pushed by a politicized power-grab that feeds upon ignorance and fear and ... yes ... is dependent upon some evidence, but evidence that is interpreted and extrapolated from in ways that go far beyond warrants. In other words ... yes, the planet is warming up. But the CAUSE of the warming is anything but the direct result of human activity. While we may have contributed to it in an infinitesimal, indirect, and highly localized fashion, the overwhelming evidence is that the planet has long gone through extensive swings of heating and cooling, all relatively coordinate with peaks and valleys in solar activity.

It was never my intention to get into an ecological debate, what I said was the airlines are moving to reducing the amount of baggage you can carry, well they seem to have achieved this for the rest of the world, except for flights into and out of the US and Canada and domestically within North America. What I said was the airlines will use this as an excuse as the pressure goes on for reducing air flights etc. That gives them more capacity to carry freight and increasing profit.

However, there is one thing that really puzzles me and directly affects me is the hole in the ozone layer, perhaps Rev.Neal can explain to me all the reasons why this has happened and why this hole gets bigger each year, making the risk of skin cancer so great for us that live down in this part of the world?

With us it is not the cost of extra cases but the difficulty of handling them. DH has mobility problems and I have a bad back so we try to keep our luggage light and less.

I understand, and that is a good, and critical, concern regarding multiple bags. One of the things I do to keep from having to lug luggage around is I have rolling luggage. I use my largest bag as my main rolling bag, and I hang the second (and even my carry-on) on it so that I only have to maneuver one bag around through airport walk ways, etc. I don't like lifting bags, and I certainly don't "carry" them.

I think the media corporations need to be ignored for all time for all of the junk science they inflict on those gullible enough to believe the chicken little stories. It is simply amazing what people will believe if it is reported by the BBC, NBC, CBS or whatever network that is inflicted on our friends in downunder land.

http://mitosyfraudes.8k.com/Ozo/vortex.html

Enjoy the chemistry lesson. Do you really think that the people on the 5 o'clock news are capable of making sense of this?

jc

Ah, due to the weirdness of the board last night I didn't see the question:

It was never my intention to get into an ecological debate, what I said was the airlines are moving to reducing the amount of baggage you can carry, well they seem to have achieved this for the rest of the world, except for flights into and out of the US and Canada and domestically within North America. What I said was the airlines will use this as an excuse as the pressure goes on for reducing air flights etc. That gives them more capacity to carry freight and increasing profit.

And it is the final sentence in your above statement that will drive the entire issue. "increasing profit" is the objective of any and all businesses. If they don't make that their objective, they are not being good stewards of their investors' financing. Granted, they have other objectives too, but "increasing profit" will always be at (or near) the very top of the list.

However, there is one thing that really puzzles me and directly affects me is the hole in the ozone layer, perhaps Rev.Neal can explain to me all the reasons why this has happened and why this hole gets bigger each year, making the risk of skin cancer so great for us that live down in this part of the world?

This is off the thread and board topic, but I'll offer up a few thoughts.

I read a lot, but I am not an expert. However ... my reading thus far has indicated that: (1) the "hole" (it's more of a localized intermittent depletion, not a static "hole") is part of a natural fluctuation process in the Antarctic atmosphere; it comes and goes with the seasons, and this increase and decrease in polar ozone has been known to occur to varying degrees since at least the mid-1950s, when measurements in Antarctica first began. (2) Since the 1970s there has been a sharp decrease in levels of Ozone during the natural fluctuation state of Antarctic winter and spring. (3) Theories that are purported to explain the "hole" which blame CFC release into the atmosphere may sound reasonable, and be accepted by many scientists and politicians, however there are severe "holes" in the theory and contradictions in the evidence which are not explained by the theory ... for instance, geological studies and ice cores from Antarctica indicate that there must have been intermittent massive holes in the ozone layer over Antarctica tens of thousands of years ago, too ... long before CFC production (but not long before volcanos or the sun). (4) One thing which is generally overlooked by many, but not all, scientists when dealing with this question is the coordination of solar activity to the level of ozone depletion. Ozone "Hole" size and duration appears to be coordinated with the amount of activity on the sun and the amount of radiation falling on our atmosphere from the sun. That activity has been (with variation) on the rise since the 1970s ... the same period during which Ozone levels have been recorded to drop during the seasonal "hole" periods.

Then raise the bloody rates! Plus it is gouging to a degree - next you know we will be charged to use the bathroom facilities on the aircraft!

I fly to receive service, quality and be comfortable - remember those days????

Can't get a decent meal, can't get a pillow, can't listen to music/newscasts - no headsets, wait in line like sheep to check-in, etc, etc, etc

I don't want to be nickel-dimed at every move PLUS receiving virtually no service whatsoever..

I don't want to fly with a carrier that is losing money either - but is this what the flying public want? Complete lack of consideration for the passenger!

I would gladly pay 40 or 50 bucks more to get a wee bit of service and consideration back as it used to be.

Robertmnch: Add to that, TSA's new rule on what you can bring through Security. NO water/juice, 3 oz. containers for personal hygiene items, plastic baggies for Prescriptions.....I'll take AMTRAK or Greyhound! TSA said I could purchase juice/water on the other side of Security as I'm a diabetic and need these items. Notes from your doctor don't work!

Robertmnch: Add to that, TSA's new rule on what you can bring through Security. NO water/juice, 3 oz. containers for personal hygiene items, plastic baggies for Prescriptions.....I'll take AMTRAK or Greyhound! TSA said I could purchase juice/water on the other side of Security as I'm a diabetic and need these items. Notes from your doctor don't work!

Indeed ... it's tempting, but I just don't have the time ... and it's hard to take a train or bus across the North Atlantic to Europe. :) I'd rather go by sea, but that's not always possible either. :)

As for the security limitations ... once I'm through security I purchase water/juice and a small sandwich or some-such to take aboard the plane with me in case I am in need of hydration or have some other problem. It's annoying I can't bring it from home, but in these days one must be willing to adapt.

Archived