Taking a case of beer on board - has anyone actually done it???

morganrp

On page 83 of the Princess Caribbean & Mexico 2004/2005 Cruise magazine, it states "You may bring wine and champagne on board to celebrate special occasions. Wines and/or champagnes brought onboard and consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants will be subject to a $10 USD per bottle corkage fee." I guess we qualify to bring wine on board since it's our anniversary, my husbands birthday, my birthday, and my daughter's birthday the week we're cruising. That's 3 bottles of wine per person per day for 7 days! 21 bottles of wine on the wall, 21 bottles of wine, we take one down, pass it around......and, everyday cruising is a special celebration.:D

It also states that if you purchase alcohol on board, they will give it to you on the last day of the cruise. If you purchase alcohol on shore, they will confiscate it and return it to you on the last day of the cruise. On Carnival, I did see them confiscate tequila from a few people who went to the tequila factory on tour, and then I saw others who brought it right on board with no problem.

I am a Pepsi drinker and like to have one when I first get up (usually around 6am) Since all you can get onboard is Coke products and at that hour of the morning it can be quite difficult to find even that, I don't feel bad about bringing a few sodas onboard. If you saw my bar tab at the end of the cruise, I am sure Princess would not begrudge me a few sodas that I didn't buy from them.

About people bringing beer onboard, I really don't care if they do or not. Yes, it is technically wrong (like me bringing pepsi onboard). But if Princess is not enforcing the rules in regard to this, I am not going to lose any sleep on the lawlessness of this. ;)

Hey Chris, we will have to plan our Christmas beer party. I for one can say that when on Princess Cay and they shut down the bar, I become Mr popular when passing out free beers on the last day of the cruise. And like the poster on the pepsi comment said, my four digit bar tab does not even begin to make me feel like I'm stealing revenue from Princess, indeed I could argue it increases their cash flow. :eek:

Looking forward to meeting you guys ...

Hey Chris, we will have to plan our Christmas beer party. I for one can say that when on Princess Cay and they shut down the bar, I become Mr popular when passing out free beers on the last day of the cruise. And like the poster on the pepsi comment said, my four digit bar tab does not even begin to make me feel like I'm stealing revenue from Princess, indeed I could argue it increases their cash flow. :eek:

Looking forward to meeting you guys ...

We're looking forward to meeting you too! Can't wait!....but have to

• 3 weeks later...

My husband came right out and asked when we visited one of the ports on

the Grand, and ship officials said beer was o.k. to bring on board. We asked

first, because we did not want to buy it and then find out he couldn't even

drink it during the cruise. We certainly were not going to be lugging beer

back home. Of course, we did not buy a case, because no way were we dragging it around on the island. I don't think you will need to smuggle.

For some reason, wine and beer are not treated the same way as hard liquor.

Mary

A case of beer fits fine in a roll on type suitcase that we bring empty for just that purpose. We buy it in Ft. Lauderdale after arriving and leave that suitcase with the porter ship side with our other luggage. We ahve done that many times with no problem.

But...when we get into Fort Lauderdale late and there is no time to stock up on beer, we buy it onboard. They have a "buy 5 get 6" special of most beers from room service. We did this last cruise and will do it on the next since we get in late on Saturday for a Sunday sailing and they don't sell beer before noon on Sunday in Florida (at least as of Jan this year) We would rather get on the ship than wait for legal beer sale in the grocery store.

Bottom line: put a case of beer in checked luggage--no problem--but you have options on the ship for delivery to your room.

Judy

Archived