Anyone who cruised Century Norwegian Fjords??

Ine

If you cruised Century last year to Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen, Alesund and Flamm, please tell me what trips/excursions you did and/or what were the nicest things/places you visited.

I have seen various options already, but want so personal reports.

Thanks!!!

Sorry!

Century dint sail that itinary last year.... :)

But she sail one cruise to norwegian fjords,whit another itinary...

Well I know for sure Century sailed that.

I have visited Century on August last year when the ship returned from that sailing!!! It made that schedule 3 times I think, the same as this year again.

Only wonder where those passengers now are that can help me.

Ine - you're welcome. I had a quick look at the June/06 reviews - some talked about the Baltic itinerary but I didn't notice any reviews on the itinerary you mentioned.

I've been wanting to do a Norwegian Fjords cruise for some time now .... I was thinking of doing it with Norwegian Coastal Voyages because of the size of the ships. Are you familiar with that company? Thanks,

Ine - you're welcome. I had a quick look at the June/06 reviews - some talked about the Baltic itinerary but I didn't notice any reviews on the itinerary you mentioned.

I've been wanting to do a Norwegian Fjords cruise for some time now .... I was thinking of doing it with Norwegian Coastal Voyages because of the size of the ships. Are you familiar with that company? Thanks,

Yes I think what you mean, that is Hurtigruten, ships that sail along many ports in Norway. Sometimes just for a short stop, also however for longer stops. I never sailed that, but heard about it.

This Century cruise we will make only goes to a few ports, not really to the arctic. Maybe one day we will sail that too.

Anyway, you will find more info on these websites:

http://www.bergen-guide.com/539.htm

or this:

http://www.cruisenorway.com/coastalvoyage.html

Hope this helps

You may want to check out the website of Cruise99 (Gary) who is joining us on the July 9 Celebrity’s Arctic Circle/North Cape cruise for valuable information on the various ports. http://home.comcast.net/~cruise-99/NorthCape/html/start.html. I considered the Norwegian Coastal Voyages cruise but decided that I preferred the Celebrity one.

In 2004, he also did a cruise of the Norwegian Fjords.

http://home.comcast.net/~cruise-99/Fjords/html/start.html.

Thanks, his website with the Norwegian Fjords is what I am looking for. Although we have a different itinary some ports are the same.

If you need any help or info about Amsterdam let me know.

I visited the Fjords about 7-8 years ago. This was on RCI Splendour of the Seas. It was a fantasic experience and my favourite if the Geiringer Fjord. This is the famous one which is shown in all books and tourist information about the Fjords. It truly lives up to it image and reputation.

The train ride from Flamm you can do on your own. You come ashore and it is easy to and very inexpensive in comparison to the shore excursion.

This cruise is one of the most scenic I have ever taken and the beauty of the area just takes your breath away.

Enjoy.

Sue

We hope to do a daytrip to Geiranger and indeed the Flamm train.

Maybe just the train by ourself or in combination with a tour.

I hope it will be as breathtaking as you mentioned!

Thanks

Ine, I've read your question at the dutch cruiseboard. Good to hear that you find the information you were looking at. I'll keep my eyes open.

I think the combination for the various boards have given me the ideas/plans/confirmation what I was looking for.

Do it yourself in Oslo and Bergen. Enough to see either walk or take a tram/cable car etc.

Stavanger maybe a boattrip to Lysefjord - or something else if I got a better tip.

Alesund - hopefully the daytrip to Geirangerfjord.

Flamm- either the train by ourself or the shipexcursion wich does the train, plus the surroundings and a visit to the hill with view over the ciry.

Sheik-what is your itinary for the Panamacanal? We did it some years ago and loved it.

It's a 11 nighter, the itinerary is:

- Miami

- Seaday

- Labadee

- Seaday

- Aruba (till midnight)

- Curacao

- Seaday

- Panama (Gatun Locks/Cristabal pier --> full transit by ferry)

- Costa Rica (Puerto Limon)

- seaday

- seaday

- Miami

Ine: What you posted is exactly what we plan to do on our Norwegian Fjords cruise in May. We've been to Oslo before if you have any questions on Oslo.

Hi Sue (keela1eva2). I still think often of our cruise in Sept.

We plan to either take the train trip on our own in Flam or take Celebrity's train & hike excursion that includes the 7-mile hike down. Sue, do you or anyone else know if we could do the train with hike on our own? Or would we need Celebrity to find our way down and back to the train again for the return to Flam?

Ine: I have a question about Amsterdam that you might be able to help us with? We will fly in the same day as the cruise. We'll probably be too early to go directly to the cruise terminal, so we'll have our luggage with us. Is there a place close to the cruise terminal for a cup of coffee? Or if we went to the Van Gogh Museum, could they hold our luggage in the museum while we tour the museum?

Thanks, Kathy

Sheik, for my reatrion on your schedule check the dutch cruisepagina.

<<Ine: I have a question about Amsterdam that you might be able to help us with? We will fly in the same day as the cruise. We'll probably be too early to go directly to the cruise terminal, so we'll have our luggage with us. Is there a place close to the cruise terminal for a cup of coffee? Or if we went to the Van Gogh Museum, could they hold our luggage in the museum while we tour the museum?>>

Kathy, I am not sure about the luggage at the museum, but I think it is not possible. Give me some days, after the weekend I will phone them and check for you. At Centraal Station there is a facility for that.

Otherwise bring the luggage to the cruise-terminal and take a tram 25 and change at central station to 16 or takie a cab to the museum.

http://www3.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/index.jsp

In the terminal there is a coffeeshop, but alas not always open. Other option tram nr 25.to city center which is just 3/4 stops away.

Ine: Thanks for your information. I can e-mail the Van Gogh Museum to ask about the luggage. I have to talk my husband into an art museum. He's not quite the art museum fan that I am! Kathy

I phoned the VanGoghmuseum for you and YES it is possible to leave your luggage at the place where you can also leave you coat (against a fee).

It seems that area is large enough to leave your luggage there for a while.

I am not really to much a museumtype myself (usually go there with friends from abroad), but van Gogh is one of my favorites. Rather new building with much light and space. So go ahead.

Thanks, Ine, for checking for me. I left a longer "thank you" on the other thread for our rollcall. My husband likes museums, but more history than art. I love both history & art. He also knows I like to spend much more time in a museum than he does. Kathy

Glad to help you. I hope you will enjoy your stay in Amsterdam and the cruise. But be warned...I am cruising ahead of you...

Ine,

You have been such a help to others, hope all your questions were answered. When we were on Century last year, the only stop we had in common with your itinerary was Oslo. It was very easy to use their trams. Be sure to see Vigland park. It was amazing.

Happy Sailing!

I think we more or less know what we will do.

Do it ourself - walk around/take a bus etc. in Oslo (yes we will go to Vigeland park) and Bergen. In Bergen of course the cabletrain to the mountaintop.

In Flamm the train maybe incl. or excl. an excursion.

Alesund- hopefully the whole daytour to Geirangerfjord

Stavanger- maybe a boattour on Lysefjord or Stavanger by ourself.

Only hope the weather will not be too bad with some sun...

Archived