Ladies....

aprilwaters

I am not sure what an "up do" is. I have used the Hair Salon a few times, but not on our last two cruises which were last year. When I used to have a blow wave, (the last was in 2005) it cost around $45 and I always left a tip of at least 10-15%.

That is the main reason I didn't use them last year at all as here at home in Oz, a blow wave costs me $23Aud and we do not tip our hairdressers. In other words, I was paying out over $60Aud for a job I found I could do better myself. I was never happy with the Blow Wave.

Jennie

I was very pleased to have a tint and blow wave on the Statendam bound for Auckland, NZ, like Jennie I don't like paying inflated prices, however for $US100 I decided this was not too far over the top. We do not tip in NZ either so I tipped the girl because the ship was sailing down under, $AUD20 as I happened to have one of those notes with me. I could have been really lousy and tipped her in NZDollars. However I have a feeling that they were having a pretty lean time on this voyage and that is why when I asked, I got a reasonable deal.

I have had the "fancy updo" with long hair. It ran me about $100 + tip. To be quite honest I had them place it up with some pink pearls wound through it. I couldn't do it myself or I would never have them do it as the job wasn't equal to the cost IMO.

Now that's a new one on me. What is this?

I have not had an updo since, well, prom time, a long, long time ago. I have had highlights done and found the results to be as good as I get at home and it costs less. I think they get so few calls for color that they go all out when they have a shot at it.

I just had a wave of nostalgia wash over me as I remember the last upsweep hairdo I had. It was in 1966 and I had it done at a local department store for $4.00 (plus $1.00 tip) because.....believe it or not.....I wanted to look nice on my plane trip to Hawaii! How times have changed.

I interpreted a blow wave to be a style that is blow dryed and styled with a curling iron, but that may be way off base. At any rate those prices sound high enough to keep me out of the salon.

Tricia,

You are correct, that is what they do on the ship for a blow wave. Here, if we have a blow wave, the hairdresser styles the hair using the hair dryer and you do not need any sort of curling tongs to finish off the style.

On the ship, they blow the hair dry without styling and then expect the curling tongs to create the style. All that does, is dry out your hair and within a day the style has gone. They need to re-learn how to blow wave properly.

Jennie

HollyHawk,

my hair is about shoulder length and as far as curls go, I just don't know what to do. it has some curl in it already especially if I use moose in it. I've just never in my life gone anywhere where I would need to put it up. well I did go to my sons marine ball and I just pinned it up with bobby pins.

HollyHawk,

my hair is about shoulder length and as far as curls go, I just don't know what to do. it has some curl in it already especially if I use moose in it. I've just never in my life gone anywhere where I would need to put it up. well I did go to my sons marine ball and I just pinned it up with bobby pins.

What a squirrely thread ! First we have the "Blow Wave" and now "Moose" in hair.

Archived