First "REAL" cruise, need help with what to bring and how much?

Sandi149

Hi

My husband and I will be going on our first "real" cruise for 8 nights this June. The other two that we took were only 2 night cruises to nowhere. I am not sure how much clothing to bring. I was planning on bringing 2 formal things, a black beaded cocktail dress and a black beaded pants suit, 2 bathing suits, cover up, 2 pair of formal sandels, 1 pair of casual sandels, 1 pair of pool type shoes and a pair of sneakers. How many pairs of pants/capris do I need to bring? How many pairs of shorts and tops? I have some nice lightweight pants suits.....would that be ok for the non-formal nights? I am totally new to this and want to make sure I have all the right clothes. I don't want to overpack but certainly don't want to underpack either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks. :)

I think you're on the right track!

Try not to take too many other clothes. I like to take 2 pair of slacks with a mix of tops for casual nights. I usually take 2 pair of shorts, again with a few mix and match tops and a sundress or two. I find that on a warm weather cruise, we spend a lot of time at the pool area and only change to go to lunch, then right back again to the pool area. We take along work out clothes, bringing along stuff that can be rinsed out in the sink, I don't want smelly stuff hanging around the cabin all week. We also use the ships laundry service to wash a few things midway.

Travel sizes of your favorite toiletries and cut makeup down to just the essentials, I really don't find the time for much else. We take a small first aid kit and our camera.

Every cruise we take, I cut down more and more with the clothes and unneccesary junk. We're getting it down to a science and have found that we can adapt with very little and are happy not to have too much stuff along to keep organized.

Our first mistake was packing a "casual" outfit for sea days. Honestly, we hung out in our swimsuits and coverups the entire day, LOL.

Also, dinner on the first and last nights you can be casual, as the first night people may not have their luggage yet and the last night people have mostly all ready packed.

As for shoes, I try to keep them neutral and mix & match. This cruise (both of ours have been 7 days) I'm bringing 2 pair of dress shoes, my water shoes and flip flops.

The clothing part of my packing list is as follows:

3 swimsuits

Cover up

3-4 pair of shorts

4-5 shirts

Hat

4 dinner outfits (usually sundresses or skirt/shirt)

2 formal gowns

Cardigan sweater (for formal nights, it gets chilly in the lounge and dining room)

2 pair dress shoes

Water shoes

Flip flops

Nightgowns

Undergarments

Since both of your formal outfits are black, I would take one pair of dressy sandals. Mixing and matching are essential for packing light, so a couple pair of casual pants with different tops would work if you are one that will re-wear clothing (or you could have it laundered on the ship). Shorts/t's and swimsuits and coverups are the norm for daytime on board the ship. Then pack what you need for any excursions you've planned.

Make a list of must have's like underwear, specific undergarments for formal wear, and detail toiletries, since these seem to be some of the most commonly forgotten items. Also, match up shoes with outfits 1) to possibly cut down 2) make sure you have shoe for everything. The sound contradictory, but if you don't have your formal shoes, but have eight pairs of flip-flops, you're going to have that horrible feeling in your stomach come formal night.

We pack light, one suitcase each. One formal dress we both wear twice. A couple of extra pairs of slacks and shorts to switch around during the week, extra tee shirts and a big tee shirt to sleep in.

sun tan oil, small tube, ointment, a few Q tips, that sort of bathroom stuff, something for if we burn.

Sounds like you are bringing an awfully lot of shoes for only 8 days. But we like the express walk off and dont get real dressy. One formal and the attending bra, nylons etc to go with it and one pair of dress shoes.

We do bring cokes if we are driving to the port, my sister loves her diet cokes. So we have been bringing one bigger suitcase and one carry on size between us.

Dont bring along too many clothes you probably wouldnt wear and will just be harder to deal with getting to and from your cabin.

I always bring two pair of evening shoes in case of a problem and also because I wear them with more than just my two formal outfits. There is no way to have shoes repaired nor many options to replace them.

I personally do not think you are packing too many shoes as I pack the same way.

I am not a shorts person so only pack them for the gym. For daytime, I prefer sun dresses or cotton skirts, worn with tanks. They work on their own or over a bathing suit. I would bring 3-4 daytime outfits for an 8 day cruise, 3-4 bathing suits, and two coverups to wear poolside.

For dinner, I mix and match one nice pair of black slacks with 2-3 different tops, then pack a silk wrap dress or two and a couple of dressy skirts and tops. I dress for dinner so do not pack capris or other casual options.

I'm the one who always came home with half the clothes not worn and the only way I've been able to pare it down is to actually write down what I will wear. That way you don't start putting in an extra this and an extra that.

Monday - flight -black pants, golf shirt, jacket

- dinner- print skirt, black top

Tuesday- tour - print skirt, white top

- dinner- formal black dress

etc.

What you wear to lunch or for casual night on board you can likely wear on shore the next day because, as stated, you will spend lots of time in your bathing suit.

If you are lucky and don't have to fly, take your whole wardrobe :)

I'm the one who always came home with half the clothes not worn and the only way I've been able to pare it down is to actually write down what I will wear. That way you don't start putting in an extra this and an extra that.

Monday - flight -black pants, golf shirt, jacket

- dinner- print skirt, black top

Tuesday- tour - print skirt, white top

- dinner- formal black dress

etc.

What you wear to lunch or for casual night on board you can likely wear on shore the next day because, as stated, you will spend lots of time in your bathing suit.

If you are lucky and don't have to fly, take your whole wardrobe :)

Actually I live not too far from the ship terminal, so we will just be taking a cab there. :D

I pack a little bit more than others, but we don't spend much time at the pool on sea days. Last cruise I ended up going to the pool once, had a drink and fell asleep for hours (I'm going to try it do that more often!!)

Shoes: 1 dress silver shoes, 1 white dress sandal, 1 black dress sanda;, flip-flops, water shoes and walking shoes.

Then I have a list of outfits: 3 shorts - I like ones that have pockets that snap or zip (no need for the dreaded waist pack) tee style shirts for each day. 3 swim suits, 1 cover up, underwear, 2 formal dresses, and slacks/capri's with nice tops for dinner.

For the two of us - we take 2 suitcases and a one that is for hanging clothes. the necessities: toothpaste, etc. I keep in a travel bag at all times and we-stock when we get home from a trip.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. Jan

I'm another one who doesn't spend much time at the pool, so I really do plan one nice outfit per day. That being said, you can do a lot with mixing and matching. I usually bring 3-4 neutral colored skirts or tailored capris and 4-5 tops. Add some fun accessories, plan to send out laundry mid-week (or just hand wash in your sink), and voila! :)

Archived