Cell Phone Service Onboard The Ship

A March 2007 Caribbean Travel and Life magazine article says that RCCL is one of the cruise companies providing connections to your wireless provider using either a Seamobile or Cellularatsea system. International roaming rates apply $2.50 - $5 a minute. Has anyone seen this yet?

I had heard the same thing and called Verizon. They said they have a contract with Royal Caribbean which allows you to us your cell phone on the ship. You have to call Verizon Wireless to activate the service (the activation is free), and it cost $2.49 per minute.

We were recently on Radiance of the Seas and cellphone service was available the entire time we were at sea through a satelite system. The cost was approximately $2.50 per minute I think (don't quote me on that). When we were in most ports (eastern Caribbean), we had cellphone service through Verizon, although we may be paying roaming charges. The bill has not come in yet, so I'm not sure.

On the Sovereign two weeks ago when I turned my cell on while at sea - just to see if it would work, it read 'Cingular at Sea' so it is working.

That's what mine said as well. I called home to check on my mom. I have not received my bill yet...should be interesting...:p

Thanks but I didn't see the VOS on there so I guess I'm out :cool:

There are 2 VOS ships. They are both listed. Look under the Rs for Royal Caribbean and Vision and Voyager are the last 2 on the list.

I spoke with Cingular CS yesterday for what it's worth. She warned me that they do charge for calls that go to voice mail when your phone is on. And if the caller rings 4 times and hangs up you will still be charged for a minute. Your caller ID will not work so you can't screen calls. I'd keep the phone off and only use it from the privacy of the cabin. Then you'll be in control of the time usage rather than having people call you and get charged whether you want to talk to them or not. And if they are the type to leave a lenghty voice mail...it will add up.

Receiving text messages if you don't have a message plan will cost you 15 cents to receive text or picture and 50 cents to send text and $1.30 to send a picture. If you have a text plan, only received texts or pictures will go against your package allowance. Sending will cost the going rate - your package allowance doesn't apply.

These are the prices for all Cingular customers on all RCI ships.

For those of you with Sprint service ---- I received an e-mail reply today about service aboard the ships. Voice service is $2.99 per min. while on board. Text messaging is .15 cents per call. Picture messaging may or may not be available (depends on the ship according to Sprint)

I asked about Bermuda (since that's where my cruise on EOS is going) Sprint says to sign up with International Rates about 1 week before sailing, then calls from Hamilton for example would run $1.99 per min, while in Bermuda.

All of the Ships have a CDMA Cell and GSM Cell. They are then beamed to a sattelite and back to a US switch.

Verizon Wireless and Sprint use CDMA...

Radio

;) ;)

Thanks Radio. Glad to hear they added CDMA..............I am very happy with verizon. :D

For those of you with Sprint service ---- I received an e-mail reply today about service aboard the ships. Voice service is $2.99 per min. while on board. Text messaging is .15 cents per call. Picture messaging may or may not be available (depends on the ship according to Sprint)

Sprint users can also use their phones on an "in network" basis in St. Thomas, which is a part of the U.S. Last year (and in years past) I have had great signal there and was even able to use my Vision (internet) service last year with no problems! It's great to be able to call people back home for no more than it would cost to call if I was indeed back home!

You will have fellow cruisers that will not say anything to you while you check on a loved one or business but come on the board and call you all kinds of "rude and incorsiderate" creatures of nature :( It wont be the bill that will shock you but the words of your fellow cruisers!!! Enjoy your cruise have fun but just beware

I turned on my phone over the weekend on Majesty and it said "Cellular at Sea" not "Cingular at Sea". I heard or read nothing about a restriction to one's cabin during use. I never saw anyone use a phone after sail away but our traveling companion used hers often before sail away to manage their business in St. Thomas. Soon after lunch they went to their cabin to wrap up their calls before closing time for the day/weekend.

The Cingular CS rep told me that in Nassau you will save a whole 20 cents per minute. It's "only" $2.29 a minute to place calls from land as opposed to the $2.49 on the ship.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I took one for the team. Just got off Serenade of the Seas. Left my TMobile phone on 24/7 to automatically update emails etc. Tried to make a few phone calls but he quality sucked. 4.99 a minute for a call. That being said for a one week cruise, the extra useage charges for email was about 130 bucks. Would have been cheaper to just check via the internet cafe. Again the quality of the calls didn't impress me enough to use the service at all. Hard to call in sick from a cruise ship when it sounds like you're calling from a cruise ship. I'm going to try to use skype or vonage on my next cruise but think i'll have simliar problems.

Archived