Rumors about Princess...

ImBossy

Hi all. I would probably be considered a newbie by most of you since I have only sailed twice on Carnival but, I would like to try other lines and had been considering princess. Well, I was reading a board, i think in Carnival, when I saw some members criticizing Princess. They said it was going down hill amoung a few other remoarks. I was surprised since I thought it was more upscale.

Anyway, what are y'alls thoughts? Yes, i'm from Texas and I say "y'all". I want to take a Princess cruise in the future as well as RCCL, but I don't want to feel like I wasted my time or money.

How about privacy? how are they on ensuring it?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Plenty of people on this board will tell you it is going down hill as well.

What does that mean ? What is it that you want out of a cruise ?

This is the question to ask yourself and then we can help you to decide whether you might enjoy Princess.

Hi all. I would probably be considered a newbie by most of you since I have only sailed twice on Carnival but, I would like to try other lines and had been considering princess. Well, I was reading a board, i think in Carnival, when I saw some members criticizing Princess. They said it was going down hill amoung a few other remoarks. I was surprised since I thought it was more upscale.

Anyway, what are y'alls thoughts? Yes, i'm from Texas and I say "y'all". I want to take a Princess cruise in the future as well as RCCL, but I don't want to feel like I wasted my time or money.

How about privacy? how are they on ensuring it?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I will be cruising on the Caribbean Princess in March - 2007, and this will be my 10th cruise, 2nd on Princess. I have also cruised on Celebrity, HAL, RCCL and NCL. When I was on the Star Princess in 2005, our last cruise, I thought she was the most beautiful ship I had ever been on up to that point. It is a very nice cruise line, and I have no idea what they mean by "going down hill." I would highly recommend it. That's my two cents.

Gene

If you read all of the boards you will find criticism of every cruise line. You will also read equal praise. Sometimes people have a bad experience while others on the same ship find everything perfect. Things vary, sometimes.

If you have a poor cabin steward, or the bar tender can't mix your favourite cocktail, or the comedian offends you, then it's the cruise line's fault.

However, if you have had a bad flight, feel ill, don't like the ports, row with your husband/wife/kids, then you also have a bad experience, but it's not the cruise line's fault.

At the mid-market level, (Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Carnival etc) it's a bit of a "numbers game" so you don't necessarily get immediate attention if things aren't perfect. But all the lines do a competent job of giving you a good vacation experience. It's up to you what you make of it.

If you go on vacation looking for faults, you will find them. If you go looking for great experiences, you will find them, too. It's a lot up to your personal outlook.

Then again, how many Princess cruises can you have for the same price as one on a 6 star line? Assuming the 6 star line is perfect... and it won't be.

Privacy: I don't quite undersand your question. All the cabin doors have dead-locks and "do not disturb" signs as befits the "Love Boat" line...

Or are you thinking more about getting away from crowds? There are more secluded areas on Princess ships thyan Carnival or Royal Caribbean, and if you stay on board when the ship is in port, you will have even the swimming pools to yourselves.

Don't worry. Just book the cruise. Spend your money, you can always earn some more.

Y'all go have a great vacation, y'hear! :)

I was on a short cruise this January on Diamond Princess.have travelled 9 times with them.

Was not disappointed .Service and food where great to my personal standards......As mentioned before was employed in hospitality industry in my youth in 4..5 star hotels....soooo I do know the difference between good and bad

Hi, we also have tried other cruise lines including RCI, NCL, now defunct Regency, Dolphin, Carnival and Princess. We always have a great time, but we feel Princess gives you more.... Maybe its the attitude, maybe its the more subdued, warm and relaxing feel... Last year we booked a Carnival Valor cruise and as it got closer I just couldn't get over the feeling that we were making a mistake. Cancelled the Valor and sailed the Caribben Princess for the 2nd time. I will not put down the other cruise lines, but I will simply say that we feel the Princess experience is exactly what we are looking for.

Stated simply, all cruise lines have "critics" and "cheerleaders" and if you go looking for faults, you will find them. On the other hand, if you go planning to have a blast, you will have that also.

To me, Princess is a step above Carnival, RCCL and a step below Celebrity and MUCH more affordable.

We did our first Princess cruise and loved it - we were treated well and the ship was magnificent.

A lot of things you read on the boards - people just don't tend to post when things go well on a cruise.

Try Princess - I am betting you will like it.

I don't think Princess is going down hill. Over the years most of the moderately priced lines have been charging for some items. Some passengers think the quality of service and food has been getting less also. I really don't think Princess is going down hill or at least not any more so than other lines.

As has been mentioned, a cruise is what you make it. The best way to find out what cruise line suits your needs is to try the various ones and look at everything objectively and not through a magnifying glass as I know some people do. If you let the small things bother you, then you will not have a good cruise experience. We met a couple on our two week cruise who, at the end of week one, were still bothered and talking about their bad experience with embarkation. They had enjoyed the cruise so far but still could not let that bad experience go and it was ruining what should have been a good time for them. I'm not a seasoned cruiser and have only been on Celebrity and Princess but we will always choose Princess. It's not perfect but we feel it suits our needs and budget. The ships are beautiful and the staff are courteous and helpful.

I think cruising has changed in general, not just on Princess. Many things that used to be included, such as cappucino, are now considered specialty items and there is an extra charge. At the same time, Princess has held their pricing and there are many itineraries that are affordable. Passenger demographics have also changed over the years and the cruise lines have adjusted to the changing demographics. People don't want to be dressed up every night so now you have only a few formal nights. Not too many years ago, a gentleman had to wear a tie and a jacket at dinner and if he didn't, he would be sent back to his cabin to get properly dressed. Is this going "downhill"? I don't think so -- it's just changing.

Have only taken Carnival once--Mexican Riviera--would have taken Princess, but was unable to get a cabin we wanted--For us Carnival is too much asking for family cruising--I have no trouble with families cruising--on our cruise there were 800 children-- Our problem was really an early morning situation--Parents who let their kids run up a down the hall yelling, screaming etc. 6am--this is not the way to wake--it is not Carnivals fault that the parents don't seem to take care of their children

I understand that they have a wonderful children's program--a friend of mine uses it daily for the youngest--wouldn't cruise anything but Carnival until the little one is older.

It's been about a year and a half since Carnival--at the time we went they only had traditional dining--I personally don't need a waiter dancing on my table, but, that's just me.

To me Princess is a bit classier--if that counts for anything

I would not take Carnival again

Nancy:D

The children problem can happen on most the the cruise lines except maybe the elite, more expensive ones. If you travel during school vacations you could run into this on most lines. We were on RCCL this past Oct., not a school vacation and we were surprised that there were some unruly children running down the halls like you described. The summer presents many many more. I have no problem with children, it just seems that when they are acting poorly, parents are usually no where around. (My cousin was on a Bermuda cruise the last week of Aug last year and there were over 800 children on board)

If you are trying to compare the wealthy, elite passengers of years ago and what was offered to them, then ALL cruise lines have gone downhill!

Cruise passengers of today have limited vacation time and money and want to make the most of both. They are more willing to pay for amenities they want and not pay more for the cruise and things they do not want.

NCL passengers want no frills and little routine.

Most of today's passengers want more port time and less sea days. So there is not as much appeal for a lot of rituals associated with the golden age of cruising.

All cruise lines are not created equal. You need to do reseach before you book a cruise so that you will pick the cruise that you will be happy with. You know what is important to you and what you would be willing to pay and to pay extra for.

Princess, Celebrity, HAL are considered more upscale. Cunard is at the higher end with Seaborn. Carnival is more oriented to families and people who like a lot of activities. They have 3, 5, and 7-day cruises for people with little time who still want to take a cruise.

There is something for everyone. You just need to check before you book.

MARAPRINCE

Not to beat this horse to death.....but, honestly, you must try the ship and see for yourself!

We are middle aged, middle income, Mr. and Mrs. and love to cruise. We've been on many different ships.....my very favorite, to date.....PRINCESS!!!!!

Princess has "it" down pat! "Frilly" but not overly done! "Friendly" but not in your face! "Festidious about cleaning" I like that! "Foo-Foo" drinks, aplenty! "Fun" but not silly! "Full" ships but you don't feel it!

Whatever and whichever one you choose: Keep a positive attitude; :p don't wear yourself to a frazzle about the small stuff;:o You'll make new friends and find new places to explore.....even if you NEVER leave the ship! :)

My wife & I have been on 32 cruises. 14 with Princess going back to the early 80's. We've also cruised Carnival, a few times with Celebrity, a couple with RCCL and other lines. Our cruise on the Diamond Princess last December was one of the best. Very classy ship, well run, exceptional staff and service, overall exellent food, very good entertainment.

So for what it's worth - my 2 cents.

Thanks for responding. I wish I had signed on earlier tonight so I could reply more. I will certainly consider Princess or at least suggesting it to others. All the comments really help. Good night, I have to be at work by 730, which means I'll be there near 7am. see y'all later.

As has been mentioned, a cruise is what you make it. The best way to find out what cruise line suits your needs is to try the various ones and look at everything objectively and not through a magnifying glass as I know some people do. If you let the small things bother you, then you will not have a good cruise experience. We met a couple on our two week cruise who, at the end of week one, were still bothered and talking about their bad experience with embarkation. They had enjoyed the cruise so far but still could not let that bad experience go and it was ruining what should have been a good time for them. I'm not a seasoned cruiser and have only been on Celebrity and Princess but we will always choose Princess. It's not perfect but we feel it suits our needs and budget. The ships are beautiful and the staff are courteous and helpful.

-------------------

Ok, secret sharing time!! Everytime my wife and I try a new cruise line, and decide that we like it, we join their "Alumni" organization, like "Captains Club." It is usually a one time payment of $35, and you are a member for life. With this you get certain "perks," and the more you cruise on their ships, the more perks you get. One of the basic perks that you get after joining, is that on all future cruises, you get Alumni embarkation. That is a simple "special" door that you walk through at the pier, rather than waiting in line, or waiting until your number is called. It's very quick, and usually within 10 minutes of arriving and walking through the door, you are walking aboard ship! What a nice thing THAT is! Zip-zip!! You just walk through the special door (look for it at the pier, and the people walking through it with their carryon luggage.) show you Captains Club membership card, and go to the counter to have your photo taken, and your papers taken care of, and away you go to walk up the gangplank! One of the other perks, is that you get invited to the Captains Club cocktail party during the cruise to meet the Captain and his officers, and have some free drinks and ordurves. This is in addition to the party that the other passengers get invited to. There are other perks too, and a newsletter that is sent to your home every quarter year or so, etc. But the one time payment of $35 membership fee is worth it, just to not have to stand in line at embarkation and wait until your number is called. This is what that couple that was so upset with their embarkation should have done so that the next time they cruised with that cruiseline, they could take the special door. Nancy and I have alumni membership cards for five cruise lines now, and NEVER wait at embarkation. Check it out when you are aboard ship and join.

Gene

Looking at the first post' date=' I also am wondering what was meant by "privacy."[/quote']

Well, there is a special deck on the very top of the ship that is reserved for topless sunbathing. You go up a small stairs that puts you at one of the highest points of the ship, and there are chaise lounges up there to tan topless on. There is a sign posted at the bottom of the stairs warning you that there is a topless tanning area at the top of the stairs, so you don't go up it accidentally without knowing. Perhaps that is what he meant by "privacy." Although I have seen European women, ususally French, who have sunbathed topless down by the main pool too. Noone raised a fuss about it, and went pretty much about their own business. I have seen this more than once on different cruiselines. So I guess, the word "privacy" is a relative thing to where you are from. If you are embarrassed by it, don't look.

Archived