An unsatisfactory reply from HAL customer service about gifts purchased online

Schplinky

Nghthawke is correct.

I just checked and here is the pdf gift order form. The 50 minute massage is $99.00

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/onboard/Gift_Order_Polar.pdf

It sounds like you said you ordered a one hour massage, so they were saying that you had to pay the difference for the additional 10 minutes? Are you saying you have a statement confirming a full 60 minutes for $99.00? Or, are you telling us that the spa manager told you there was no massage available for $99.00 (for any length of time)?

Me thinks there's more to this than just not getting what you paid for!

You certainly appear to be a pretty intelligent fellow.....and, certainly you were not born yesterday! When someone says you can't have it and you know you can....and, you're being reasonable about it......insist; assert; and relax!

I have spent a fortune on ordering everything from; balloons; cakes; flowers; banners; wine; spa treatments and manicures-all prior to our cruising, on many different lines.....sometimes they're late in delivery but I have never, never been disappointed!

At the moment you're not real happy with HAL, anyway so it wouldn't matter what they did.....you'd find fault in it! :o

I'm not sure why you would say that. Are you saying that their actions were reasonable or that I spent money hoping I would be disappointed. I do not have as much money as would be necessary to cruise on a line if I were not hoping and expecting to have a good time. That one can be attacked for saying when their expectations were not met is really too sad.

But you didn't order a one hour aromatherapy massage online. You ordered a 50 minute aromatherapy massage -- there are no one hour aromatherapy massages available online.

I fully intend to have a hot stone aromatherapy massage when I board ship in May. I had a wonderful experience the last time, no hard sell at all. Courteous staff, helpful. I had never had a massage before and was, I felt and still feel, pampered. The hot stones melted my aching tense muscles into butter. Wow. Sorry you didn't have the same experience.

Sorry, in the spa world, 50 minutes is considered an hour. I meant what you said (if that makes sense).

Nghthawke is correct.

I just checked and here is the pdf gift order form. The 50 minute massage is $99.00

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/onboard/Gift_Order_Polar.pdf

It sounds like you said you ordered a one hour massage, so they were saying that you had to pay the difference for the additional 10 minutes? Are you saying you have a statement confirming a full 60 minutes for $99.00? Or, are you telling us that the spa manager told you there was no massage available for $99.00 (for any length of time)?

I ordered the 50 minute one and the spa manager told me that would cost almost $130. There was no Aromatherapy massage available for $99. The reason i checked with her was I suddenly wondered if maybe my $99 would only conver the procedure during a port day but she said it would not even cover it then.

Thank you for the explanation. I hope you had her name and do call the Ship Coordinator directly. It does sound like they just did not want to give you service.

I had an incident with the auction people. Not the auctioneer, but his side kick on HAL. I went, signed up at the preview, to get my free "picture" and Champagne after a card noting this was left in my cabin. (and someone there actually told me to come back at the end of the auction if I wasn't going to buy anything). Note that I did spend some time with the taller Auctioneer who showed me a Chagall and three Dali's (in the 27K price range). I misplaced the paddle (my husband had left with it while I waited in line at the end, but there was proof that I had signed in right there with a number - in their book), and so of course he refused to give me the gifts (even though I told him I signed in, spent time there -which I did).

The jerk tried to hard sell "Was it going to fast for you, is there anything you want to look at" (I hate being treated like I'm stupid especially since I worked part time at auction houses years ago - I was the only one around that stopped at the Dali's and knew they were the most expensive prints that day). I just said that I decided not to buy anything and he had the nerve to say "What's the point (of being here)". He finally had someone give me the $3.00 value picture, but not the Champagne. I did say something to the Ship Manager (about his rudeness), but she never gave me the Champagne either. It was noted on my comment card. I am not letting the one rude person I met on the Veendam (plus the indifferent Hotel Manager) stop me from going back. Everyone else was wonderful. Btw, I'm not a big drinker, because if I was I would have fought for the Champagne.

We didn't attend the art auctions on Westerdam but we wound up having a conversation witht he auctioneer, Antoine. Iw as actually surprised by how well versed in the art he was since I had always thought these people were more sales people than anything. He was able to speak at length abut a piece that I pointed out to my partner and he even pulled out a couple of obviously well-read reference tests. While I'm still unlikely to buy art at sea (it isn't usually my taste and it would also be really expensive to get back to Canada), I do sort of respect the dealer a bit more now.

I too have had unpleasant experiences at the spa. On out last Ryndam cruise the robes were torn or stained, the slippers which appeared the first day were retired and we were forced to walk barefoot or wear our street shoes, neither option attractive. When I showed up for my 9:00 am appointment, they were not ready for my hot lava rock massage (which I really love) and had me waiting for almost a half hour. Good thing it didn't interfere with something I had planned. Complaints on no hot water in the shower, steam room not operating, stained and torn robes were all were blamed on HAL. But it was the rude attitude of the desk attendents that really bothered me. They appear to be trained to rub their customers the wrong way. Why HAL with the Signature of Excellence brand puts up with it is a mystery.

Sooooooooooooooo

Along with the Great Margarita Quest I am planning on our 3/3 cruise to the Mexican Riviera and Sea of Cortez, I will add The Great "On Shore" Spa Quest. Any reccomdations will be welcome.:)

I can't believe anyone is picking this experience apart! Clearly, if you buy a service online from HAL prior to your cruise HAL is then responsible for the service being provided. The service received in the spa is inexcusable as well, but it's a separate issue. HAL bears the responsibility since HAL was the seller of the service.

No one should have to work between HAL and Steiner to have that service provided and no extra $$$ should be involved. It's absolutely insane!!! You're on a cruise to relax and enjoy... not run back and forth between the Front Desk and the Spa.

Clearly HAL's form letter does not address the question so the HAL rep responding didn't even bother to read. Schplinky was absolutely right to go to HAL with his issue.

And the Gift Certificate purchased should be redeemable in the salon, not offered as a shipboard credit. He didn't buy a shipboard credit, he bought a gift certificate for a service.

And forget trying to deal with Steiner! I so wanted to purchase the hair conditioner offered on board the HAL ships and was finally led to Nicky via the Timetospa website. She told me it is unavailable for purchase, but please visit their website to choose from many other products. When I asked what product might be comparable, she never even bothered to respond. So I don't think "customer service" is something Steiner offers. Luckily I have friends who confiscate the little bottles and mail them to me:D ... not saying who.

I didn't get the feeling that Schplinky won't sail HAL because of the Spa issue ... but when you feel you've been mistreated it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth and with so many other choices, maybe he just needs a breather. I know that feeling.

I am a long time HAL loyalists, and have always felt their customer service was the best in the business. I am starting to rethink that position. The phone representatives are terrible and they seem to be getting worse. I don't know what the problem is. But, I used to call them and they were so supportive and helpful, and now, they won't even talk to you. The e-mail is even worse. I have quit trying. We are booked on the 02/25 Westerdam but I am really, really thinking this may be our last HAL cruise for a while. I dont' know if any of the others have any better customer service, but I am willing to find out. This has really bothered me because I know what a great company HAL used to be. I hope they wake up before its too late.

As for Steiner, you are probably better off with your money in your pocket. The first cruise my husband and I were on, they were offering free makeovers with a salon purchase (style, trim, etc). So, the first formal night, a friend and I decided to take them up on it. We went in to get a do and a make over. The makeup was ridiculous. I looked like I'd spent the day baking my face in the sun and my hair was so greasy, I had to shower to get the gunk off my face & hair. The next cruise, I got a massage. It was expensive and worthless. The lady spent the whole time trying to sell me products for my 'very dry skin.' I don't have dry skin now and I certainly didn't then. Another time, we were on a 10 day cruise and about half way thru, my hair needed a trim. How bad could it be, just trim the top a little? It was awful. The worst haircut I've ever had in my life, and I have had some doozies. So, you probably really didn't miss much by not doing the massage.

I understand your feelings.

I agree Shplinky, that you have every right to be annoyed. You did not purchase a ship credit, you purchased a massage and should have been entitled to the product you purchased online. I also, wouldn't want to spend my long-awaited vacation having confrontations with the spa employee or guest relations. Isn't the point of a vacation to be a stress reducer? Also, I totally enjoyed your review of the Westerdam and don't take any "offense" that you've decided HAL is not the cruise line for you. We will be sailing on the Westerdam (our first Holland cruise) in a few weeks and look forward to seeing how it "fits" with us. We're not big into activities/entertainment, so I'm thinking it might be a good fit -- we'll see! Just for the record, we're trying Holland because the services on Princess have been deteriorating on our past few cruises sailing with them.

I can't believe anyone is picking this experience apart! Clearly, if you buy a service online from HAL prior to your cruise HAL is then responsible for the service being provided. The service received in the spa is inexcusable as well, but it's a separate issue. HAL bears the responsibility since HAL was the seller of the service.

Heather, I agree with you. I've been stunned at what some people have said. Yes, some people's past experiences with spa services have been negative. Mine have been fine, though I must admit that the "hard sales pitch" they make even at the end of just a simple hair cut leaves much to be desired. If I had been treated the way Schplinky regarding a service I had purchased through HAL I would have been quite put out. And, had I gotten back the kind of non-responseive form-letter I would have done what I suggested Schplinky do and gone straight to the Senior VP responsible for that department on HAL. HAL is, indeed, responsible to ensure that the services they sell through their website are at least available aboard their ships and for the prices that the website charges. For the service to be more expensive than what one has paid, or for the wine amounts to be less than what they are advertised as being on the website, smacks of nothing less than false advertising and HAL should (1) honor how they market it, and (2) FIX the problem. They shouldn't just ignore it and send a form letter.

Thanks you to those who have posted. I must admit that I was feeling a bit whipped by the crowd there for a while. Rev and Heather have articulated my feelings much better than I was able.

Jade: The person's name was Rae or Raeleen and she had curly light brown hair. I believe she was Australian but she might have been British. I'm not very good with accents.

Schplinky: I'm sorry....I didn't mean to offend....it's just my "White Screen" surliness that's coming out.

Anyone with the title "schplinky" deserves to be treated with more respect and certainly with understanding and kindness!

I hope that you get all your issues resolved in a manner befitting a "schplinky!"

I owe you a massage. If we're ever on the same ship don't forget to remind me! And, my last name is NOT STEINER!!!! :p

Schplinky, I hope I was wasn't one that offended you? I agree with you 100% Initially I thought that you had purchaced the 50 minute massage (which you did) but accidently said "I ordered an hour" at which point Rae or Raeleen (it sounds Australian) said that will cost $130 etc. I would have be steaming.

There was no reason for her to be rude.

Btw, you don't think this was some sort of gay bashing thing, do you? Sorry if anyone thinks my comment is dumb, but I have to admit it keeps crossing my mind. They just didn't want to give him the service.

To the person above posting about the products, I know they are available on line (perhaps not the conditioner). I was looking for the sharp shower gel (mint) last year. I thought it was terrific. It was actually more expensive on-line before the shipping.

Jade, I know the shower gel is available ... it's the Conditioner that is not. I have no idea why. But I have enough to last me until November when I'm next on HAL. Then I'll just confiscate as much as I can. I think it's pretty dumb to put a product in the staterooms that is not available for purchase, but maybe that's just me:confused: .

Schplinky, you articulated very well and your point is well taken. I really hope you get a better response from HAL along the way. The whole thing was totally mishandled.

All I've ever had in the Spa are manicures and pedicures which were heavenly, but they did really push product at the end.

Jade, that is so thoughtful of you ... but no. That's who I've been dealing with and when I asked if one of the Steiner products (there are several conditioners) was comparable to the Elemis product onboard, she never answered. She had previously told me that they do not sell the Elemis conditioner anywhere which I think is very odd.

Sorry for the OT, Schplinky! You didn't even like the conditioner:) !

Steiner on Princess or any other cruise line - I will NEVER use them! On the 9-17-05 Caribbean Princess, I was up near the top of the ship - celebrating Sailaway - and had to use (very urgently) a restroom. I was directed by a crewmember to go to the Spa to use theirs. This was a CC group cruise, so I was wearing our group T-shirt and shorts...not looking especially "glamorous". Upon entering and asking to use their restroom, I was very rudely told "NO". I explained that I had booked a massage with them on a sea day, and just need to use their restroom. I wrote about this experience on the Princess board upon my return, and said that "Stephanie from Vancouver" was so rude and obnoxious (I also think I mentioned that I had underwear older than she was), that I cancelled my massage on the spot, and before "Sailaway" became "Floataway", I managed to find a restroom. Of course, I complained at the Purser's Desk, and was informed that Steiner is an "independent contractor", and there wasn't much that could be done - meaning nothing, when I asked for an apology from "SFV". They work on commission. A few days later, while all glammed up, I went into the Steiner Spa again, and...of course...SFV was nice as pie (not recognizing me), sensing that I had wads of $$$ to spend there. I proceeded to tell her how rudely she had treated me, and that not only had I cancelled my massage due to her behavior, but that two of my friends had done so as well. She did the usual stammering and stuttering, and offered to get the Manager. I told her to forget it. I actually had a great massage at Paradise Beach in Cozumel for ten bucks. Steiner?? NO WAY!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Archived