Dinner Attire Question

RichandBabs

My wife and I will be on the 3/11/07 Regatta cruise out of Miami. We can't wait to get on board. I do have a question though and was hoping to get some feedback from people that have been on Oceania.

For dinner, do the men have to wear sport jackets? I spoke to a fellow worker and he gave me the impression that when dining in the specialty restaurants, Toscana or Polo Grille the men were were expected to wear a sport jacket. One of the main reasons of choosing Oceania was the casual attire. I was looking forward to no ties or jackets. I would not feel comfortabel if most other people had jackets on and I did not.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

We were on the Regatta in January and I never wore a coat or tie. There are some that do, but most did not. I didn't notice any difference in dress between the different dining rooms. Everybody dresses nicely, and comfortably.

If I were leaving again tomorrow, I would not pack any coats or ties based on our January trip.

Have a great trip!

First cruise with Oceania, on Regatta into the Baltic, 8-05, I took a sports jacket, and never wore it.

Second cruise, on Nautica, 11-06, took a sports jacket, wore it once (no tie).

Have third trip planned, on Regatta, 3-08, & probably will take a sports jacket.

I did leave suits and tuxes at home!

We have been on 14 times and hubby never takes a jacket..we are fortunate enough to have dinner with the Captain occasionally and he wears a nice collared sport shirt and never feels out of place..(one trip he did forget socks and had dinner with the Captain with loafers and no socks) I was upset at that..:-)

We are leaving for the 35 day trip 3/29 and again he will take no jacket!

Jan

We were privileged to have dinner with the Captain on our recent Amazon cruise, and I wore my sport coat, with no tie, for the only time on our 26 day cruise. Like Stu, I'm certain that the Captain would not have been offended if I had not worn a sport coat, but on that particular evening, the other four men at the table were wearing coats and I personally was glad that I had mine. A couple of the gentlemen were also wearing a tie, but I believe that is simply because that is the way they were most comfortable.

I did make an attempt to "spiff up" just a little more in the specialty restaurants, but did not feel any compulsion to wear my coat. I often wore a Hawaiian style shirt to the main dining room, not tucked in, and a dress-style, long-sleeved shirt to the specialty restaurants. I also generally wore socks to the specialty restaurants, but rarely to the grand dining room (wearing socks is almost formal for me). I would say the percentages were a little less than those cited previously -- perhaps 10% of the men wore a jacket to the Grand Dining Room and 20% to the specialty venues, but perhaps the Amazon is a more casual cruise. This was a little longer cruise than most, and the dress became more and more casual as the days went by.

I wore shorts and a nice shirt to the Tapas buffet once or twice, but I started wearing trousers even to that venue because 99% of the gentlemen were wearing trousers to the show, and I would have been uncomfortable in shorts. A few did wear shorts to the shows and did stand out a little.

The most important thing is that few noticed and no one made any remarks of which I was aware.

I have been on all three "O" ships. The first 2 times I carried a sport jacket, but never wore it. The 3rd time, I didn't even bother taking one. We were in an OS two of the times and used the specialty restaurants several times on each trip, but never felt the need to wear a jacket -- even on Christmas and New Years Eve. That to me is one of the main selling points for "O."

Never taken a jacket on the last two O Cruises and do not intend to in July......I guess Jean and I will be eating alone Jan. Also I never wore socks and I was marked down by the Crew and reported to the Captain for unSOXiable behaviour !!!!!!!!

Brian

Hi Richard,

No, you won't be alone. My husband refuses to even let me pack a jacket for him. We were on this ship in French Polynesia when it was owned by Renaissance. The dress was the same then as it is now. Shorts at dinner won't do, but a nice shirt and slacks are just fine. There will be some people who are dressier. Their choice. You won't be out of place without a jacket. After all, this is your VACATION and it is the CARIBBEAN!

Molly

Have a GREAT time!!!! We did the Panama Canal in Jan. on Regatta.....our second time on that ship.....and we LOVE it!!!! Dinner is casual and hubby did take a jacket first trip on this line......didnt wear it.....didnt take it this second trip. Very casual/nice casual.

Hello All,

We will be sailing the Med on the Insignia in April. Is there a difference in dinner dress on these Med cruises as opposed to the Caribbean sailings?? Also what do the ladies commonly wear?? Dresses, pants suits, slacks and dressy top??

Thanks for any info....

Mike and Janice

You definitely don't HAVE TO wear a sport jacket - I never did. The two speciality restaurants generally attract the dressiest guests, and some even wear ties, but I was comfortable in a short sleeve collared shirt - tucked in.

Western Med in 2004 was first O cruise. Just back from second O cruise, Panama Canal.

Women wore slacks or skirts with blouses for dinner at all dining venues on both cruises. Did see a few dresses on Western Med cruise at the Captain's Cocktail party.

Men wore slacks and button down or golf-style shirts at all dining venues on both cruises. Did see about 5 sports jackets or blazers at the Captain's Cocktail party on the Western Med cruise.

Biggest difference - a lot of Hawaiin Style print shirts on Panama Canal cruise, only a few on the Western Med cruise.

The "Currents" kept saying that sandals were not appropriate for dinner on the Panama Canal cruise, but most women did wear them. I don't remember seeing any instructions like this on the Western Med cruise.

Just got off the Nautica Hong Kong to Bangkok cruise, and I was surprised (after 3 previous O cruises) to see SO many men in sport jackets and many with ties! There were many Canadians on board, and I'm not sure if this is what skewed the "jacket vs. no jacket" stats. I always bring a sport jacket, which I wear at the Captain's reception and at the specialty restaurants. I've also found that when we dine ashore in the evening, we always book an upscale restaurant, where jackets are rather customary.

I did have a rather unusual awakening the night of our first shore excursion on this recent cruise, however. After traipsing all day, my feet and ankles were quite swollen. I put on nice slacks, a sport shirt, socks, and Birkenstocks. The young lady at the podium entrance to the Grand Dining Room let me know in no uncertain terms that I could not be admitted wearing "flip-flops". I reluctantly went back to our room, changed in to my dress shoes, and when I returned, asked to speak with the Maitre 'd. When I informed him of the incident, he emphatically agreed with Ruby, and kind of read me the riot act for even considering wearing my Birks.

Interestingly enough, the next night, a gentleman and his wife from Russia were seated with us; he was wearing Levi's (not designer, but honest-to-goodness jeans!!). And the next night, a gentleman at the next table was wearing a T-shirt with no collar. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. But at least they had "proper" footwear.

Mike

Just got off the Nautica Hong Kong to Bangkok cruise, and I was surprised (after 3 previous O cruises) to see SO many men in sport jackets and many with ties! There were many Canadians on board, and I'm not sure if this is what skewed the "jacket vs. no jacket" stats. I always bring a sport jacket, which I wear at the Captain's reception and at the specialty restaurants. I've also found that when we dine ashore in the evening, we always book an upscale restaurant, where jackets are rather customary.

I did have a rather unusual awakening the night of our first shore excursion on this recent cruise, however. After traipsing all day, my feet and ankles were quite swollen. I put on nice slacks, a sport shirt, socks, and Birkenstocks. The young lady at the podium entrance to the Grand Dining Room let me know in no uncertain terms that I could not be admitted wearing "flip-flops". I reluctantly went back to our room, changed in to my dress shoes, and when I returned, asked to speak with the Maitre 'd. When I informed him of the incident, he emphatically agreed with Ruby, and kind of read me the riot act for even considering wearing my Birks.

Interestingly enough, the next night, a gentleman and his wife from Russia were seated with us; he was wearing Levi's (not designer, but honest-to-goodness jeans!!). And the next night, a gentleman at the next table was wearing a T-shirt with no collar. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. But at least they had "proper" footwear.

Mike

Mike, Do you remember the name of the Maitre'd ?? We are going on board 3/31 for the 35 day trip ..

Thanks,

Jan

It's quite interesting what people will react to when it comes to clothing - it's all over the map. While I appreciate that there must be a standard the problems seem to occur when the standard is about a particular material or say open toes rather than the overall look - of course how do you legislate good taste? :rolleyes:

A pair of leather sandals can often be more dressy than closed toe shoes for men. I guess it's the ability to see ones toes that might be found to be offensive although in your case you wore socks.

Jeans don't bother me as long as they are in good repair and often people that wear jeans with a sport jacket and t-shirt look better than those with rumpled Dockers and a golf shirt.

I can't imagine the uproar if you wore leather sandals, designer jeans, silk t-shirt and a sport jacket. I'm guessing at least one of those will get you turfed out but depending on the night you won't know which it is...

Mike

On our Regatta cruise most of the men were in jackets and ties. Next was jackets no ties, then polo/sport shirts no jacket. On Christmas and New Year's Eve there were also a few tuxedos.

I really didn't see the level of informality that others have seen save at the pool. I'm beginning to think Your Mileage May Vary is the rule--no two trips are the same, ever.

There was one older gentleman whose acquaintance I made we dubbed "Mr. Kicks", because he only brought one pair of shoes and they were Coach sneakers. He wore them with everything--bathing suit to dinner suit. I miss him.

I have yet to understand why some pax. are so upset with what other people wear. If the non-conformists bath, and some don't, wear clean clothes and act responsible, who is it to say that they are outcasts and don't belong. My wife & I pay for our cruises, and we could not care less what other pax think about what we wear. On O I do not wear a jacket, let alone a tie. I do, however, dress accordingly ( country club casual). If the PC dress police don't like my attire, then tough! I have a very short fuse when it comes to pax. telling me what I, or anyone else, should wear. If it bothers you, find another cruise line with those of your persuasion.Cunard would probably fit you better.

Mike, Do you remember the name of the Maitre'd ?? We are going on board 3/31 for the 35 day trip ..

Thanks,

Jan

Hi Jan

The gal at the podium was Ruby from the Phillipines. The maitre'd was Italian (not Paolo), but otherwise I can't recall his name.

Great hearing from you, and have a wonderful cruise. Please give hugs to Bruno and David Shermet from us.

Mike and Carol

Archived