So what kind of coffee is it anyway?

CRB#33

Okay everyone I have to add my opinion the this thread. I agree with all of you. The coffee is VERY bad!!! I love my coffee, AM & PM. When I had my first cup on the Golden I thought something must have gone wrong in the brewing. For the first time in my life I only drank half a cup. When I tried again at a different time and throughout the week I realized it was no mistake, the coffee was awful.

Shame on Princess. It seems to me it would be no big thing to correct this problem. It has gone on for too long! My DH & I just booked the Star for Nov. but this time we will bring our own!!!! I have not had to do this with any other cruiseline.

Count me in as one who thinks that the term Princess Coffee is an oxymoron.

I don't know what that stuff is, but it ain't coffee.......it IS disgusting!

I'm one of those people who's really not fully awake until after a cup o' Joe, and every day that we visited a port, my first mission was to get a cup. (thank goodness we don't take ship tours!) On the two sea days, I never felt fully awake all day.

On the last night of our cruise, the chef was making his rounds to the tables in the dining room and getting lots of praises for the food. While I joined in with the compliments, I did ask why it wasn't possible to get a decent cup of coffee on his ship. He gave me one of those "here we go again" looks and meekly said that "some" people like it. Maybe "some" refers to the bean counters (pun intended) in the executive offices that feel serving this dreck saves them a few bucks.

If a good cup of coffee is important to you, bring your own.

High Roller, you are cracking me up too! After reading numerous coffee threads like this one, I ordered (and just received) a new coffee maker for our cruise in October. I got the Cuisinart one that brews directly into two 14 oz travel mugs. We already tried it out and are looking forward to drinking some decent java on our balcony. This is our first Princess cruise, but we've sailed on Celebrity 3 times, so we have an idea of what to expect coffee-wise. I guess it doesn't matter since we'll be brewing our own, but is Princess's coffee worse than Celebrity's?

I've not really seen an answer to the OPs question...

Too weak .....or too strong ?????

Just... not quite coffee-like enough!! It's liquid coffee concentrate (yum!!) that's reconstituted with hot water when served, so use your imagination.

Just doesn't taste very good.

This thread was never intented to start a mad rush on ordering urns of hot water, French presses, mini expresso machines or converting to TEA.....If this trend continues, I am going to buy 1000 shares of Hamilton Beach or Black and Decker, Krupps and Braun...cause there's enough of you's out there that is going to surge demand for these gizzmos in the upcomming months....

Flinstone...I think there is an aboundance of testimonials on this thread to tell you the coffee it's either too weak like coloured water or as thick as driveway sealer.....

P.S. I love converting another one to the "Crack me up Club"...that's now 4 and counting!

I think we need to write "snail mail" letters to someone who cares about the deplorable coffee. Anyone have an address and name?

On the NCL Star there was an electric kettle in the room. with tea bags, hot chocolate bags and (instant) coffee bags. No coffeemaker. :(

I know all about the brown sludge water of Princess. It was bad on the Grand, it was bad on the Star, and I am sure it will be bad on my upcoming Golden cruise.

The answer!

For people who need a great cup of coffee first thing in the morning, like I do, get yourself a coffee press. Now, there has been a lot of people saying the regular makers are unsafe and cumbersome to pack, but they have nice plastic presses for sale and just bring your own coffee for the week.

We order hot water with our in-room breakfast every morning and it was wonderful to drink my Kona every morning. Even the couple in the next Mini-Suite commented on our coffee the second day. They said it smelled delicious but everywhere else on the ship, it was terrible. I let them in on our secret and even offered them some every morning. Thank God I brought extra. At the end of the trip, the came to our room with a bottle of Moet thanking us for our coffee mornings.

Coffee brings everyone closer together!

Just thought I would share.

Hmm, some of you now have me considering one of those coffee presses, but I have no idea what they are, how they work, and so on. Where could I purchase one? Be kind, and give me the details, please. :cool:

Thanks,

Sharon

How do you get the water for the FRENCH PRESS? Just order RS, and ask for an urn of hot water?

DW drinks tea in the morning, I drink coffee. Order tea service for 4 from room service (2 doesn't give you nearly enough water). DW makes her pot of tea, I take the rest of the water for my coffee.

Hmm, some of you now have me considering one of those coffee presses, but I have no idea what they are, how they work, and so on. Where could I purchase one? Be kind, and give me the details, please. :cool:

Thanks,

Sharon

Any housewares store - on-line or brick-and-mortar. I got mine at cooking.com. Unbreakable plastic, and nicely stores socks when packed in my luggage! (CLEAN, UNWORN socks that is. :eek: ) They come in a wide variety of sizes.

It's a cylindrical container with a rubber sealed sieve plunger that presses down through the middle. You put your coffee in first, add the hot water and slowly press the plunger down to extract the coffee, and the filtering sieve bit keeps the grounds at the bottom. Then decant into your cup!

You have to grind the coffee VERY coarse; if you go to a Starbucks, Caribou, etc you can request a French press grind. Honestly, the first time I tried it I fell in love with it prepared this way!! When I have the energy I do this at home, too, rather than drip brew.

Not ordering the hot water vats again in the morning now are we back to that?...and btw to all.... where do you think your putting all those grounded coffee grinds...better not say in those toilets...common lets get a chain letter started and send it off to Princess Santa Clarita demanding better coffee!

It's time to stand at attention, fight for what is our constitutional rights to well bodied, full aroma and robust coffee in all dining venues on any ship, anytime, anywhere in the entire Pricness Fleet with above all drinkable coffee before our toes touch the ground at bedside each morning!...OK who's with me?

For goodness sake - let them deal with the grounds - maybe it will encourage them to make real coffee instead of syrup lattes.

I have never cruised Princess (but counting down now! :D ) and while I do enjoy a good flavorful cup of coffee - I had never even considered bringing my own until reading these threads.

So yes Highroller (buy those shares now) I did invest in a one cup Black & Decker coffee maker (dh does not drink coffee)...along with a nifty travel mug and a 1/4 lb of decaf Sumatra (real cream will also be on the shopping list!).

I do plan to try the coffee to see what everyone is talking about (hope I don't end up spitting it right out again! :eek: ) and judge for myself - in any case I am prepared to do my own thing should the need arise. I spend most days fantasizing about sitting on my balcony, in my white terry robe sipping on a strong cup of sumatra w/real cream as I watch the waves go by! :)

P.S. HR - add me to your "crack me up" list - I was in the dentist's chair today thinking about alll this coffee talk and I kept thinking about the old ones w/no taste buds and cankers in their mouths - and almost burst out laughing several times (hard to do with that spitoon thing in your mouth!)

We began taking our own little one cup at a time coffee maker. Found it on a clearance rack for $6 and it brewed one mug of coffee perfectly. Very small and it takes up very little room. I snitched a few coffee cups for use on board from the buffet and it was great.

But then when our friends found out we had it, everyone was dropping by for coffee so we got a little 4 cup drip coffee maker, still small enough to put in the carry on.

Last year we sailed for 25 days with friends and we knew that a 4 cupper just was not going to cut it, so we stopped by the local K-Mart and purchased a 10 cup drip coffee maker for $9.99, just an El'Cheapo.

After the cruise, we just left it in the cabin for the cabin steward, sure put a smile on his face as he doesn't like the ships coffee either. :eek:

Archived