So what kind of coffee is it anyway?

CRB#33

I've been reading some hysterical comments about the coffee on the Princess line.

Is it too week? Too strong? No resemblence to coffee whatsoever?

I read it was compared to anthrax on another thread! :D

Makes me want to get over my coffee addiction that's for sure!

I've declared total war on Princess with the coloured water syndrome..others have found a bandaid solution by packing coffee makers, mini-expresso machines or simply converted to tea...I say this is not rocket science for Princess...do away with the syrup coffee that is so weak or like tar on certain days cause it's sititng in that watt for hours and get some half decent Juan Valdez picking better beans for them!

I was on the Sapphire 7/18-25 to Alaska. I had heard the coffee was terrible, and I love coffee. We had 1 day pre-cruise in Seattle. I bought a French Press and some coarse ground coffee. (told my wife it was a souvenire from Seattle!) Started using it on day 2, was the most popular person in our group in the mornings! I saw the staff preparing the Princess coffee, it is a thick syrup mixed with water, and I found it almost undrinkable.

I was on the Sapphire 7/18-25 to Alaska. I had heard the coffee was terrible, and I love coffee. We had 1 day pre-cruise in Seattle. I bought a French Press and some coarse ground coffee. (told my wife it was a souvenier from Seattle!) Started using it on day 2, was the most popular person in our group in the mornings! I saw the staff preparing the Princess coffee, it is a thick syrup mixed with water, and I found it almost undrinkable.

When I first read about people who brought coffee makers on their cruise, I must say I thought it was a bit odd...no...really odd! Then after my first Princess cruise, I was hooked, not only on Princess but also on the idea of bringing my own coffee and maker on the next cruise. The coffee is the only thing I have trouble with and Princess just doesn't seem to think it is a priority. Maybe it isn't for the majority of passengers. I just know that having a cup of rich (decaf) French Roast on my balcony has become an important part of my cruise experience...and I can only have it if I bring it along myself.

Guest Anorak33

If you think you can't get a decent cup of coffee on board then you should try being British and liking a nice cup of char.

Believe me the tea does not taste good. Although they supply Liptons teabags which are not a bad product (although not what most British use at home) the water is not boiling - its just hot.

You need boiling water for a good cup of tea and the other problem is that the water is not suitable, being heavily chlorinated and not having air in it as it is distilled from seawater.

I am going to try taking my favourite PG Tips and a water filter jug next time and see if that makes a difference. Oh, and maybe an electric kettle so I can get really boiling water.

On the other hand I did not find the coffee too bad, I like it strong.

Can you just get a visual here going if a majority decides to bring electric kettles, coffee makers etc...while one of us is turning on the lights in our bathroom cabin...poofff lights out for everyone on the ship and it's SOS and Mayday calls thereafter...come on....listen to what you all are proposing...you pay thousands of dollars for a Vacation and you have to resort to packing all this hardware for a decent cup of coffee...HELLO!!!!!!...maybe Princess getting better coffee is much easier solution at hand!

you have to resort to packing all this hardware for a decent cup of coffee...HELLO!!!!!!...maybe Princess getting better coffee is much easier solution at hand!

My French press weighs next-to-nothing; it's plastic. No great burden to me!!

As soon as you convince Princess to provide non-reconstituted sludge for my a.m. jolt, I'll be the FIRST one to leave my press at home. In the meantime, I'm packing it!!

Anorak33,

I don't know..filtering water that has already been overprocessed and filtered..good luck. I am as fussy about my water as my coffee. I plan to pay the big bucks for bottled water (like I do everyday anyway) and have the bottle watered boiled so I can make coffee in the french press that I am lugging along on my cruise.

Violet

I agree!

You have a fridge in your room. How hard would it be for Princess to put a coffee maker similar to the ones found in hotels in the rooms?:rolleyes: Or perhaps, just brew it to begin with! WHile it wasn't the best I ever had, I have had worse. I just would have liked better!

The coffee IS undrinkabe. Princess seems to keep tweaking their product and getting better and better -- except for the coffee. Everybody complains about it. Why can't they serve better coffee -- especially since other cruise lines can?

Would like a coffee maker in the room like some of the new NCL ships have, at least I've heard they do.

I've been reading some hysterical comments about the coffee on the Princess line.

Is it too week? Too strong? No resemblence to coffee whatsoever?

I read it was compared to anthrax on another thread! :D

Makes me want to get over my coffee addiction that's for sure!

The third part of sentence number ONE nailed it. "NO RESEMBLENCE TO COFFEE WHATSOEVER"

This stuff is the most god-awful liquid I have run into in years, and I have tasted some really bad coffee. It doesn't smell at all like coffee and it doesn't taste at all like coffee.

If I had to leave behind several pairs of shoes in order to fit my little coffee maker in, I would do it before I would cruise on a Princess ship without my coffee maker. (and that is saying a lot as I really love my shoes) :mad:

hmmm on our April cruise on the Coral, the coffee in the dining room was not that bad..

Dining room coffee is good!! The problem is anywhere outside the dining rooms; e.g. the buffet where most people have breakfast most of the time. On sea days or when no shorex are planned, the dining room is the best choice but only when schedules permit.

Dinning Room is hit and miss as well on the best of days the coffee even in Sabatini's for heaven sakes if you can believe it is Rat S**t....forget the wine connaisseurs at Princess..they need Mikey Arison to take a swig of there Princess Finest and see if his hair curls...I bet you after that he'll hire not just a bean counter but a Bean Connaisseur for Pricness.

I'm not a coffee drinker. One of the women at our table on the Grand last December complimented the waitress about how good the coffee was. I mentioned that I had read a lot of bad reviews about the coffee. The other coffee drinkers said it was good.

I'm talking about the coffee outside the dining room. We usually grab a quick breakfast in the buffet area. Guess if we really had to have good coffee, we could have breakfast in the dining room <sigh>. But we much prefer to grab and go.

Archived