I HATE to dress up on vacation!

thetycoon

Well, regardless of whether there are fashion police or not, the reality is we judge people according to what they wear. If all of us say we don't, then we are all in denial. How many times have we "judged" an obese man (or woman) in a speedo, or a young person with funky hair and multiple earrings/tattoos? How many times have you judged someone and thought "my god that outfit looks horrible on her", or has a friend advised you that something definately did not look flattering on you? What about being at a certain event where everyone was dressed up and you had a couple of people that stuck out like a sore thumb?

MAYBE WE SHOULD STOP JUDGING PEOPLE....

ARE PEOPLE WEARING JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE PEOPLE PUTTING BOOZE IN THE LISTERINE BOTTLE. IF THE CRUISE LINE WANTED TO STOP THIS I AM SURE THEY WOULD AND COULD.

MAYBE I'LL MAKE MY FORMAL OUT OF BRIGHT PINK DUCT TAPE!!

We sail lots of different cruiselines. We are tired of formal nights on vacation. After dressing for work every day, we want to kick back and relax in comfy clothes on a cruise. If we sail on a ship with only one dining room and a buffet, we sometimes order room service on formal night--if there is a hot food dinner menu for room service as on RCCL.

We just got off NCL Star and really enjoyed the freestyle theme. Lots of people were dressed to the nines, but we felt comfortable in smart casual clothing on formal night. If we sail RCCL or Princess, we book specialty dining on formal night because half the people in those restaurants wear smart casual on formal night. When people pay extra, you seldom see them turned away--even on formal night. Personally, I think the formal dressers should get the dining rooms and smart casual dressers should get the specialty restaurants on formal night. No way am I eating in a cafeteria on formal night when I am paying for a 10 night cruise.

I did get a kick out of a fellow wearing a Hawaiian shirt on formal night in the dining room last winter. I guess that was his idea of formal. Live and let live, whatever floats your boat, etc. Don't worry--be happy!

I am a female and will be sailing Carnival Valor and I do not like the hassle of dressing up on vacation. First of all, I don't like to shop for formal clothing. Furthermore, I would never wear this kind of attire again after the cruise. What is the most casual thing I can get away with and still be permitted in the dining room for formal nights?

We sailed Carnival Triumph last February and were disappointed there was no specialty restaurant on that ship. Otherwise, we would have dined there on formal night with other smart casual dressers. See if Valor has a specialty restaurant and book that if you don't want to dress formally.

As a woman, you can get away with alot more than a guy. A nice blouse and slacks will do on formal night. However, a guy has to wear a shirt and tie. Many men wear jackets, but not all. As long as the guy has a nice shirt and slacks and shoes, he can probably get away without a tie--but put one in is pocket just in case. I have seen guys without ties. I think Carnival is more accommodating on formal night than other cruiselines.

Have Fun!

I spoke to a Carnival representative today regarding a separate matter and mentioned to him that there seems to be a "great debate" over appropriate dress on formal night.

I have two boys (almost 12 yo and 13 1/2 yo) They have dress pants, dress shirts and ties but because they grow like weeds, they don't have jackets (sport coats). I asked him specifically whether or not I should obtain jackets for the boys. He told me NO! They will be perfectly within the "guidelines" for formal night.

And then he told me he just got back from a cruise with a bunch of guy friends and that they wore pressed jeans and dress shirts on formal night. He told me that unless someone waltzed into the dining room in a bathing suit or tshirt and shorts, that no one would be turned away or verbally corrected by Carnival staff.

The bottom line is, we all have different opinions as to what is acceptable to wear but CARNIVAL is the final judge, not posters on this board.

I personally would not wear jeans on formal night, but I realize that there are those that wouldn't allow their kids to attend formal night without a jacket. Obviously Carnival knows what folks have been wearing at formal dinner and unless they say something about it, everyone else needs to take a chill pill and wish each other a safe and fun trip.

Happy cruising!! :D

We should stop judging people. But the reality is, we make thousands of judgments every day.

If you think a pink duct tape formal is lovely for you,then you should. It can't be any worse than what most people in Hollywood wear and think they are beautiful! :)

Well, regardless of whether there are fashion police or not, the reality is we judge people according to what they wear. If all of us say we don't, then we are all in denial. How many times have we "judged" an obese man (or woman) in a speedo, or a young person with funky hair and multiple earrings/tattoos? How many times have you judged someone and thought "my god that outfit looks horrible on her", or has a friend advised you that something definately did not look flattering on you? What about being at a certain event where everyone was dressed up and you had a couple of people that stuck out like a sore thumb?

MAYBE WE SHOULD STOP JUDGING PEOPLE....

ARE PEOPLE WEARING JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE PEOPLE PUTTING BOOZE IN THE LISTERINE BOTTLE. IF THE CRUISE LINE WANTED TO STOP THIS I AM SURE THEY WOULD AND COULD.

MAYBE I'LL MAKE MY FORMAL OUT OF BRIGHT PINK DUCT TAPE!!

Wow. And people wonder why some people refer to some cruiselines as the "wal mart of cruising"... It's pretty easy, you either abide by the suggested dress code, or you choose another venue... why is that so difficult to grasp??? I enjoy Carnival, and for the most part people conform to the suggested dress code... they apparently understand that formal is formal, and is not open for interpretation... there are options for those that don't want to dress up. Come on, is this really the best food you will ever have?? Enough to want to buck the system and dress like you were at Golden Corral??? :confused:

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

I spoke to a Carnival representative today regarding a separate matter and mentioned to him that there seems to be a "great debate" over appropriate dress on formal night.

I have two boys (almost 12 yo and 13 1/2 yo) They have dress pants, dress shirts and ties but because they grow like weeds, they don't have jackets (sport coats). I asked him specifically whether or not I should obtain jackets for the boys. He told me NO! They will be perfectly within the "guidelines" for formal night.

And then he told me he just got back from a cruise with a bunch of guy friends and that they wore pressed jeans and dress shirts on formal night. He told me that unless someone waltzed into the dining room in a bathing suit or tshirt and shorts, that no one would be turned away or verbally corrected by Carnival staff.

The bottom line is, we all have different opinions as to what is acceptable to wear but CARNIVAL is the final judge, not posters on this board.

I personally would not wear jeans on formal night, but I realize that there are those that wouldn't allow their kids to attend formal night without a jacket. Obviously Carnival knows what folks have been wearing at formal dinner and unless they say something about it, everyone else needs to take a chill pill and wish each other a safe and fun trip.

Happy cruising!! :D

I personally think for kids that age, if they are wearing dress slacks, a shirt and tie, that will be fine. many men take their coat off at dinner. Now, as for wearing "pressed jeans"... first of all, who does that?? LOL!! Jeans are jeans... denim is denim, regardless of how much you paid!!! The Carnival rep should not be giving out information like that... what poor advice. Pressed jeans? Was he serious? How does pressing jeans make them formal?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ther eis something to be said about what we get away with in life, and what is proper. Plenty of people get away with things that are wrong, but it doesn't make it proper or right... this goes for everything, liquor smuggling, jeans wearing, etc.

If you think a pink duct tape formal is lovely for you,then you should.

2006052815411156472_Big.jpg

Original Source and more duct tape fashions here:

http://www.ducktapeclub.com/contests/prom/archive.asp

;)

It can't be any worse than what most people in Hollywood wear and think they are beautiful!

Hey! I resemble that remark!:eek: :D :rolleyes:

CJW

The pompous and self-righteous commentary expounded to ad nauseam by some regarding the dress codes on various cruise lines is appalling, yet humorous. My original question, if read correctly, did not ask what many have insisted upon answering.

If, in your opinion, nothing less than a cocktail dress adorned with Swarovski crystals and the Hope diamond as an accent piece will do, then you should have written, "You will need a black cocktail dress, preferably with Swarovski crystals. If you happen to remember to toss the Hope diamond into your travel bags, then you may wear it on formal night as well." Apparently, many are in possession of such finery, yet continue to sail on commercial vessels in lieu of their private yachts.

Hey there thetycoon!

First of all I want to welcome you to Cruise Critic in general and the Fashion Board in particular!

What you have decided sounds perfect for your original question.

Please take this all as just people opinions, and (hopefully you'll stick around here:) ) you'll see and learn some people's standard opinions and where they "come from" and their good intents.

I on the one hand tend to be the outsider/rebel/Hollywood/Music fashion guy; and others are more classic, or conservative in their ideas.

You'll get to know us around here more, and hopefully this has been of some help.

It would be wonderful if you would post any info or reviews when you get back from your cruise.

You will have a blast if you decide to make it a blast!

I hope you have a great cruise!

CJW

Thank goodness for people with a sense of humor and a cupful of grace for those who don't agree with them.

And woe to those who criticize other folks' choices regarding formal night, smuggling liquor and tipping. Frankly it smacks of the typical Pharisees of our time.

I for one am hitting the ignore button for the first time in my 12 years online. Our cruise is coming up pretty quick and I want to take in all the positive energy I can and leave behind the critical spirits.

Thanks to all of you who posted respectful, thoughtful, intelligent, kind answers here and throughout the board, realizing that not all of us are much better than Wal-Mart and Golden Corral but at least we respect the differences in our fellow man. :)

We sail lots of different cruiselines. We are tired of formal nights on vacation. After dressing for work every day, we want to kick back and relax in comfy clothes on a cruise. If we sail on a ship with only one dining room and a buffet, we sometimes order room service on formal night--if there is a hot food dinner menu for room service as on RCCL.

We just got off NCL Star and really enjoyed the freestyle theme. Lots of people were dressed to the nines, but we felt comfortable in smart casual clothing on formal night. If we sail RCCL or Princess, we book specialty dining on formal night because half the people in those restaurants wear smart casual on formal night. When people pay extra, you seldom see them turned away--even on formal night. Personally, I think the formal dressers should get the dining rooms and smart casual dressers should get the specialty restaurants on formal night. No way am I eating in a cafeteria on formal night when I am paying for a 10 night cruise.

I do not find the food served on formal night to be any big deal and will sometimes book a specialty restaurant on those nights jsut because we prefer the more upscale ambiance, especially on lines like RCI where dress codes are a thing of the past and anything goes. If we do, we dress formally, as is requested. I certainly would not want to be relegated to the main dining room just because I was dressing formally on a night designated as such:(.

The real issue is that dress codes are not enforced, except on a very small percantage of lines and ships. Many apparently share your attitiude that since you pay for the cruise, you can dress as you please. The lines do not want to alienate anyone so they allow it. It is a real shame but money is king and this is not going to change.

The only folks who really lose out are those that look forward to formal nights and end up seated with people in jeans and Hawaiian shirts. They sure don't get what they paid for:rolleyes:.

My husband and I always press our jeans before wearing them. I guess we're always formal :)

DH presses his own and does better than any dry cleaners could hope to. It is a dream of mine that he would start ironing my clothes, too (not likely to happen :D )

Whatever style you choose to wear, do it well. I love all kinds of clothing styles, from full on glam to punk, if it is done well. I just don't understand not trying, just getting by with whatever a person happens to throw on.

The original OP got good advice on many levels and made a decision that worked for her.

The travel industry overall has changed. Traveling used to be considered "an event". I can remember being a child and my mom making me wear a nice dress when flying, and it was a big deal to go the airport and have dinner and watch planes take off. Cruises used to be more for those who could not typically afford them, and those people, whether we like it or not, belonged to a different set of values than most of us average people. Call it a class system of whatever, but it's the truth. Cruising is much more affordable and attracts a greater variety of people, which also attracts a greater variety of beliefs and values. A friend of mine is an airline pilot, and he said that airline pilots (and also captains of ships) are sometimes considered to be nothing more than a "glorified bus driver'. I am not minimizing the challenges and difficulties of their jobs, just sharing someone elses persepctive on how travel has changed.

I am glad the OP found an outfit that worked for her, and hope she enjoys her vacation.

I do not find the food served on formal night to be any big deal and will sometimes book a specialty restaurant on those nights jsut because we prefer the more upscale ambiance, especially on lines like RCI where dress codes are a thing of the past and anything goes. If we do, we dress formally, as is requested. I certainly would not want to be relegated to the main dining room just because I was dressing formally on a night designated as such:(.

The real issue is that dress codes are not enforced, except on a very small percantage of lines and ships. Many apparently share your attitiude that since you pay for the cruise, you can dress as you please. The lines do not want to alienate anyone so they allow it. It is a real shame but money is king and this is not going to change.

The only folks who really lose out are those that look forward to formal nights and end up seated with people in jeans and Hawaiian shirts. They sure don't get what they paid for:rolleyes:.

I don't care what anybody wears as long as they are covered!! You know what I mean? Anyway my daughter's wanting to take her senior prom dress for formal night but I'm not sure how to keep it looking nice. It's satin and layered and down right poofy. Any advice?

Christy

I don't care what anybody wears as long as they are covered!! You know what I mean? Anyway my daughter's wanting to take her senior prom dress for formal night but I'm not sure how to keep it looking nice. It's satin and layered and down right poofy. Any advice?

Christy

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=496046

I used dry cleaning bags as well. I wonder if you put a bag on the hanger, and then put the dress on it, and put another bag over the dress if that would minimize the de-poofing and wrinkling. (This may have already been discussed; I only skimmed the thread.)

Good Luck.:)

Menina - Your post "So to the original OP, you have to decide what is right for you. Everyone here has given some excellent advice but in the end you choose. And I think if you choose something that is far against what the majority is wearing for the occasion, then you have to be prepared for any backlash you get and be okay with that."...are words taken right out of my mouth! Thanks for saying the obvious so nicely.

And to the OP...I hope you have a memorable, fun-filled cruise!

Cindy

I am a female and will be sailing Carnival Valor and I do not like the hassle of dressing up on vacation. First of all, I don't like to shop for formal clothing. Furthermore, I would never wear this kind of attire again after the cruise. What is the most casual thing I can get away with and still be permitted in the dining room for formal nights?

Thanks for starting this thread. I too hate to dress up. For people who don't dress up for work and or have a casual social life Formal night might be stressful.Especial for first time cruisers like myself. I think just because you don't want to wear a ballroom gown or a tux doest mean you should be excluded or feel bad. I want to go to the Formal night to try something new and have fun. I think there are different levels of formal wear and all should be excepted. I think if you try to dress nicely and feel good then you should feel fine going to formal night.I think a blk dress/pant/skirt are good options for formal night too.For men I think a button shirt with or with out a tie dockers and dress shoes should be fine too. I plan on wearing a blk knee length dress and nice sandals. My husband is wearing the dockers & button up shirt mentioned above. My in-laws have been on a few cruises and formal nighst and said this would be fine. I trust them this will work out fine. I am not going to stress over formal night anymore. I am just going to go and have fun.That is what formal night is all about feeling good and having fun.

Thanks for starting this thread. I too hate to dress up. For people who don't dress up for work and or have a casual social life Formal night might be stressful.Especial for first time cruisers like myself. I think just because you don't want to wear a ballroom gown or a tux doest mean you should be excluded or feel bad. I want to go to the Formal night to try something new and have fun. I think there are different levels of formal wear and all should be excepted. I think if you try to dress nicely and feel good then you should feel fine going to formal night.I think a blk dress/pant/skirt are good options for formal night too.For men I think a button shirt with or with out a tie dockers and dress shoes should be fine too. I plan on wearing a blk knee length dress and nice sandals. My husband is wearing the dockers & button up shirt mentioned above. My in-laws have been on a few cruises and formal nighst and said this would be fine. I trust them this will work out fine. I am not going to stress over formal night anymore. I am just going to go and have fun.That is what formal night is all about feeling good and having fun.

You are so right on! Obviouly your in-laws see what the majority see! ;)

Christy

Pack the dress the best way you can. But THE MINUTE you get on the ship and get your luggage, pull out the dress, give it to the room steward with the dry cleaning slip attached and have it PRESSED only. They do a fantastic job on most ships and should cost only about $5.00 or less.

Archived