I HATE to dress up on vacation!

thetycoon

I am a female and will be sailing Carnival Valor and I do not like the hassle of dressing up on vacation. First of all, I don't like to shop for formal clothing. Furthermore, I would never wear this kind of attire again after the cruise. What is the most casual thing I can get away with and still be permitted in the dining room for formal nights?

Hi Thetycoon,

I don't like dressing up too much either. I generally pick a nice pair of basic black evening-type slacks, kind of dressy sandals (with a slight heel) and a glittery top or shell with shawl. Then I use really nice jewelry to dress it up even further. I've never had a problem and I've gone to all formal nights on all cruises I've done.

Good luck and happy cruising!

I agree with Kathy. A pair of dressier black slacks and some festive tops will get you through the cruise. Many will be much more dressed up as formal nights are generally enjoyed by many.

Perhaps next time consider NCL or a different type of vacation. If I hated to dress up, I would certainly not pick a vacation that called for it.:)

You could also opt for a black skirt with different dressy tops. Pants or skirt, you can't go wrong with black. They're also great staples to have in your closet should you ever have the unfortunate need for attire suitable for a funeral or other solemn occasion.

I don't like dressing up on cruises either, but I do recognize that is what is expected in the dining room on formal nights on those ships that have formal nights. So I don't go to the dining room formal nights. I go to the buffet or to the alternative restaurants. The luxury restaurants, those that charge an extra fee, require dressing up, but not formal attire.

Advice of others above is good. If you MUST go to the dining room every night of your cruise, on formal nights wear a long or short black skirt or black pants (not black jeans) and a dressy, lacey or sparkly or silky top. Wear strappy, sexy shoes. They can even be flats. If there are two formal nights, change the top the second night. Such an outfit will take you anywhere on the ship on formal nights.

Don't "shop" for these outfits. Go to the Internet and order from Coldwater Creek, Chico's, Talbott's, L.L. Bean or Land's End, JC Penney's, Macy's, Dillards, Nordstrom's etc. I seldom "shop" or go to the mall.

My job requires me to wear jeans, a t-shirt, hiking shoes/boots, and a hat every day. So part of the fun for me on a cruise is dressing up for dinner.

I truly don't think that I need to "get a life", so no need to feel sorry for me!

Don't feel bad, a lot of people don't like dressing up, I am sitting back wondering JUST HOW MANY CHOOSE TO CRUISE JUST SO THEY CAN DRESS UP? I think these people really do need to get a life. I truly feel sorry for them! :confused:

Oh also, the specialty restaurants for your information so many wear jeans and are more than welcomed to sit down and have a bite to eat!

;)

I have never been to a specialty restaurant on any ship (except NCL) where jeans were permitted. It is not somewhere you sit down and "have a bite to eat". It is a formal dining experience, even on Carnival, not a fast food joint:rolleyes:.

These are upscale restaurants. I suggest the OP pay attention to the standards set by the cruise line and display good taste.

I have never been to a specialty restaurant on any ship (except NCL) where jeans were permitted. It is not somewhere you sit down and "have a bite to eat". It is a formal dining experience, even on Carnival, not a fast food joint:rolleyes:.

These are upscale restaurants. I suggest the OP pay attention to the standards set by the cruise line and display good taste.

That is just your opinion in good taste! A nice pair of dress slacks with a shirt and tie are fine, also a nice pair of jeans and I mean nice no holes or stains matched with a jacket and nice top are fine for the specialty restaurants! I just wore a nice blue jean skirt and nice top with a nice pair of sandals, my DH wore a nice pair of casual pants with a nice casual button up shirt and actually we were over dressed compared to 90% of the people in Portofinos! And guess what? We were not denied service and neither were the others in blue jeans! :rolleyes:

I am a female and will be sailing Carnival Valor and I do not like the hassle of dressing up on vacation. First of all, I don't like to shop for formal clothing. Furthermore, I would never wear this kind of attire again after the cruise. What is the most casual thing I can get away with and still be permitted in the dining room for formal nights?

some of you have done well to reply to the question..others have gone off on tangents.. I will try and reply to the question...

black slacks can go anywhere.. match them with either a plain black top or something a little dressy and voila!.. you can do formal, specialty restaurant..etc.. I've also seen jeans with dressy tops in the specialty restaurants.. black jeans with a dressy top will do also..I think you don't have to go overboard buying clothes that you won't wear again.. enjoy your cruise.. I believe in the KIS theory.. Keep It Simple and you can go anywhere... seeing as I'm touring europe for awhile after my transatlantic cruise I'm planning to pack as light as i can.. 2 pair of black pants, 2 pair of jeans, 1 long black silky skirt, various tops (and of course undies and shoes)..that should cover any suggested dress code

That is just your opinion in good taste! A nice pair of dress slacks with a shirt and tie are fine, also a nice pair of jeans and I mean nice no holes or stains matched with a jacket and nice top are fine for the specialty restaurants! I just wore a nice blue jean skirt and nice top with a nice pair of sandals, my DH wore a nice pair of casual pants with a nice casual button up shirt and actually we were over dressed compared to 90% of the people in Portofinos! And guess what? We were not denied service and neither were the others in blue jeans! :rolleyes:

The dress code is established by the cruise line and it is for a reason; it is not made up by passengers and is not an opinion. It is written in the travel dox and on their websites.

If some folks choose to ignore the dress code, that does not make it acceptable.

On my last RCI ten weeks ago, we had dinner in Portofino three nights and Chops the other three. We saw one person in jeans total in those six nights. There were far more in sport coats and the women in dressy outfits, as befits that restaurant.

Personally, I believe in respecting the cruise line's dress codes.:)

Well said caviargirl. It all boils down to respect..... that includes "respecting cruiseline rules" onboard. And I am curious, how are you a judge of what the Maitre'd allows in the dining room on formal nights, when in one of your posts you stated your husbands Armani tux were stolen from your luggage??

Well said caviargirl. It all boils down to respect..... that includes "respecting cruiseline rules" onboard. And I am curious, how are you a judge of what the Maitre'd allows in the dining room on formal nights, when in one of your posts you stated your husbands Armani tux were stolen from your luggage??

You must be referring to onboard's husband:).

To the OP, bottom line is that you will unlikely be denied entrance to the dining room on formal night no matter what you choose to wear. It is a festive evening for the passengers and most do dress up for formal nights.

It would be quite inexpensive this time of year to pick up a sparkly top or two and wear with your best black slacks for these evenings.

Enjoy, whatever you choose to wear!

Nice black slacks and a nice top: hard to go wrong

Black jersey long dress: simple, nice, comfortable

Black long skirt and nice top: simple again

But I disagree with the black jeans and dressy top thing. To me, it still looks like "Well, I don't like to dress up so I'm going to try and fit in" but I think it makes someone stick out like a sore thumb even more.

My opinion is that the black jeans/dressy top is more suited for a fancy bar or club,and less suited to a "formal" dining experience or "specialty" restaurant . I doubt you would get thrown out of the specialty restaurant, but I am willing to bet you'll get treated not as well as the passenger more dressed to the environment. The only reason why I say that is I dated a former NCL head waiter for many years and he said that many times servers made judgments about passengers...whether rightly or wrongly..according to how they dressed and/or behaved. He said you could be the nicest person on the planet but if you were dressed a certain way, you were treated accordingly. Sad!

Danskin used to make this neat deal called "weekend in a bag" and it contained a black jersey long skirt, a pair of pants, a top, and a couple other items based on the "mix and match" theory. All the items were basic black but the idea was you could get a few outfits out of the basic pieces by adding one or two extra items. Wish I'd bought that! Many other good suggestions here.

some of you have done well to reply to the question..others have gone off on tangents.. I will try and reply to the question...

black slacks can go anywhere.. match them with either a plain black top or something a little dressy and voila!.. you can do formal, specialty restaurant..etc.. I've also seen jeans with dressy tops in the specialty restaurants.. black jeans with a dressy top will do also..I think you don't have to go overboard buying clothes that you won't wear again.. enjoy your cruise.. I believe in the KIS theory.. Keep It Simple and you can go anywhere... seeing as I'm touring europe for awhile after my transatlantic cruise I'm planning to pack as light as i can.. 2 pair of black pants, 2 pair of jeans, 1 long black silky skirt, various tops (and of course undies and shoes)..that should cover any suggested dress code

Melina, I agree with you. Black jeans and dressy top are not "formal" no matter how accessorized and not something I would personally wear to a specialty restaurant.

A pair of black slacks can be dressed up or down and are a great staple for a cruise or any trip.

And matte jersey is king IMO for travel:).

I just have to say that I truly hope that there are no Fashion Police on board the ship. I would hate to be thrown in the brig just because someone didn't think the same way I did about what is formal and what is not. A cute black skirt and strappy sandals with any top and some jewelry would be gorgeous!!!!:)

Well, regardless of whether there are fashion police or not, the reality is we judge people according to what they wear. If all of us say we don't, then we are all in denial. How many times have we "judged" an obese man (or woman) in a speedo, or a young person with funky hair and multiple earrings/tattoos? How many times have you judged someone and thought "my god that outfit looks horrible on her", or has a friend advised you that something definately did not look flattering on you? What about being at a certain event where everyone was dressed up and you had a couple of people that stuck out like a sore thumb?

So to the original OP, you have to decide what is right for you. Everyone here has given some excellent advice but in the end you choose. And I think if you choose something that is far against what the majority is wearing for the occasion, then you have to be prepared for any backlash you get and be okay with that.

Menina (always the pragmatist)

I just have to say that I truly hope that there are no Fashion Police on board the ship. I would hate to be thrown in the brig just because someone didn't think the same way I did about what is formal and what is not. A cute black skirt and strappy sandals with any top and some jewelry would be gorgeous!!!!:)

Melina, I agree with you. Black jeans and dressy top are not "formal" no matter how accessorized and not something I would personally wear to a specialty restaurant.

A pair of black slacks can be dressed up or down and are a great staple for a cruise or any trip.

And matte jersey is king IMO for travel:).

I didn't intend the black jeans for 'formal' nite ..just a clarification :)

The OP is not the one that mentioned Black Jeans. Obviously it depends on your cruise but I've always found black jeans outstanding on any Caribbean cruise. They stand out as totally inappropriate. To me the wearer always makes the statement that l wear what I please and I don't care about the Cruiselines recommendation for proper dress nor do I care about the other passengers. Jeans on all major Cruiselines are not allowed in the diningroom but people still insist on wearing them, So be it.

I applaude the people who dress appropriatley. It certainly doesn't cost any effort to pack the proper clothes rather than the jeans. If a jean lifestyle is what you want, then why waste your money on a cruise.

The dress code is established by the cruise line and it is for a reason; it is not made up by passengers and is not an opinion. It is written in the travel dox and on their websites.

If some folks choose to ignore the dress code, that does not make it acceptable.

Personally, I believe in respecting the cruise line's dress codes.:)

Well said.

I too prefer not to dress up, but I do because if I'm going on a cruise with formal nights, it's the appropriate thing to do.

Archived