I HATE to dress up on vacation!

thetycoon

Thanks for starting this thread. I too hate to dress up. For people who don't dress up for work and or have a casual social life Formal night might be stressful.Especial for first time cruisers like myself. I think just because you don't want to wear a ballroom gown or a tux doest mean you should be excluded or feel bad. I want to go to the Formal night to try something new and have fun. I think there are different levels of formal wear and all should be excepted. I think if you try to dress nicely and feel good then you should feel fine going to formal night.I think a blk dress/pant/skirt are good options for formal night too.For men I think a button shirt with or with out a tie dockers and dress shoes should be fine too. I plan on wearing a blk knee length dress and nice sandals. My husband is wearing the dockers & button up shirt mentioned above. My in-laws have been on a few cruises and formal nighst and said this would be fine. I trust them this will work out fine. I am not going to stress over formal night anymore. I am just going to go and have fun.That is what formal night is all about feeling good and having fun.

Reading posts like yours, I think many first time cruisers feel the same way you do. Formal night does not have to be stressful, you do not have to wear a ballgown and tuxedo. You will see all levels of formal, yes there will be some in gown and tux, there will be some dressed like you and the majority will be somewhere in between, women in a nice long dress, men in dark suits.

You are so right on! Obviouly your in-laws see what the majority see! ;)

"THE MAJORITY" dress up. You don't seem to realize that not all cruise lines treat "formal" night the same.

On some ships (Carnival, RCCL), less than formal dress is evidently accepted, so a gentleman could get away with what is "casual" on many other lines-button up shirt and Dockers.

NCL has "optional" formal nights, so no need for formal clothes.

Princess-a toss up depending on the cruise. Dress code states "formal", but the code is evidently NOT uniformly enforced. We won't sail on Princess again for this very reason. I don't consider T-shirts with ALASKA in sequins formal wear.

Celebrity-other than the short 5 day cruises, about 90-95% observe the dress code-formal wear for formal nights and jackets for men on "informal" night. You have a pretty good chance of being turned away at the dining room door if you are dressed in anything other than the prescribed dress code.

Oceania has a "country club casual" dress code.

HAL evidently has downgraded their dress code other than formal nights. Formal is formal on HAL.

Other cruise lines-Cunard, Seaborne, Crystal-you most likely will not be seated in anything other than the proper attire of the day. I personally saw the CEO of a major company run out of Princess Grill on the QE2 in January 2006. His party showed up two nights in JEANS. Granted, they were probably $300.00 per pair jeans, but the maitre d' would not seat them the second night. We never saw them again the entire cruise. See this thread for feelings on Cunard dress. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=499027

I know I am the oddball here, but I only cruise for two reasons-see a few places that I DON'T want to spend a lot of time in AND because I can get dressed to the nines and get DH out of his Levis. Otherwise, I will get on a plane and go where I REALLY want to go, not to Carlos and Charlie's. I absolutely DO NOT want to be seated on formal night next to people in their casual clothes.

"THE MAJORITY" dress up. You don't seem to realize that not all cruise lines treat "formal" night the same.

On some ships (Carnival, RCCL), less than formal dress is evidently accepted, so a gentleman could get away with what is "casual" on many other lines-button up shirt and Dockers.

NCL has "optional" formal nights, so no need for formal clothes.

Princess-a toss up depending on the cruise. Dress code states "formal", but the code is evidently NOT uniformly enforced. We won't sail on Princess again for this very reason. I don't consider T-shirts with ALASKA in sequins formal wear.

Celebrity-other than the short 5 day cruises, about 90-95% observe the dress code-formal wear for formal nights and jackets for men on "informal" night. You have a pretty good chance of being turned away at the dining room door if you are dressed in anything other than the prescribed dress code.

Oceania has a "country club casual" dress code.

HAL evidently has downgraded their dress code other than formal nights. Formal is formal on HAL.

Other cruise lines-Cunard, Seaborne, Crystal-you most likely will not be seated in anything other than the proper attire of the day. I personally saw the CEO of a major company run out of Princess Grill on the QE2 in January 2006. His party showed up two nights in JEANS. Granted, they were probably $300.00 per pair jeans, but the maitre d' would not seat them the second night. We never saw them again the entire cruise. See this thread for feelings on Cunard dress. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=499027

I know I am the oddball here, but I only cruise for two reasons-see a few places that I DON'T want to spend a lot of time in AND because I can get dressed to the nines and get DH out of his Levis. Otherwise, I will get on a plane and go where I REALLY want to go, not to Carlos and Charlie's. I absolutely DO NOT want to be seated on formal night next to people in their casual clothes.

Oh, I am so sorry if you are upset, but if you feel this way you should request to be seated with people that have dressed in the clothes that make you happy. Besides, it is your cruise, vacation, you paid for it right? :p

Oh, I am so sorry if you are upset, but if you feel this way you should request to be seated with people that have dressed in the clothes that make you happy. Besides, it is your cruise, vacation, you paid for it right? :p

I should not have to REQUEST properly dressed fellow pax, if I choose a cruise line that has an ENFORCED formal dress code. I EXPECT fellow pax to be properly dressed.

I not only paid for room, board and transportation, I paid for whatever the cruise line promised (as I posted-different cruise lines, different expectations) and the ambiance of the cruise. If I paid for formal nights and was promised such by the cruise line, I certainly don't expect those formal nights to be turned into a backyard BBQ.

Yes, onboard, we pay for our cruises, but unfortunately cannot always choose our tablemates.

My husband & I r going on Tahitian Princess 4 12 nite cruise and don't have any intention of bringing formal clothes, not even sports coat or tie for my husband. Dress shirts and pants are his limit and casual dresses and capri pant sets for me. We plan on eating in alternative dining on formal nights. We also don't want 2 buy clothes we won't use again. Was told Polynesian islands are extremely laid back & casual. That's my 2 cents worth

My husband & I r going on Tahitian Princess 4 12 nite cruise and don't have any intention of bringing formal clothes, not even sports coat or tie for my husband. Dress shirts and pants are his limit and casual dresses and capri pant sets for me. We plan on eating in alternative dining on formal nights. We also don't want 2 buy clothes we won't use again. Was told Polynesian islands are extremely laid back & casual. That's my 2 cents worth[/quot

Too bad your common sense approach wasn't more prevalent we could then just let this let this repetitive subject float away into the sunset..

I GUESS WE HAVE ALWAYS JUST BEEN VERY FORTUNATE ,OUR TABLEMATES HAVE BEEN INTERESTING ,RESPECIFUL OF OTHERS AND CLASSY!:)

My husband & I r going on Tahitian Princess 4 12 nite cruise and don't have any intention of bringing formal clothes, not even sports coat or tie for my husband. Dress shirts and pants are his limit and casual dresses and capri pant sets for me. We plan on eating in alternative dining on formal nights. We also don't want 2 buy clothes we won't use again. Was told Polynesian islands are extremely laid back & casual. That's my 2 cents worth

I agree with Karen. Have a wonderful cruise...I'm jealous!

We will be cruising on the Jewel March 4th and we are bringing zero dressy clothes. We are going totally very nice resort casual. No suits, dresses or heels. This is or 5th cruise with NCL and the freestyle is the way to go for us now since we have done the dressy scene many times before. It's also alot easier packing.

We will be cruising on the Jewel March 4th and we are bringing zero dressy clothes. We are going totally very nice resort casual. No suits, dresses or heels. This is or 5th cruise with NCL and the freestyle is the way to go for us now since we have done the dressy scene many times before. It's also alot easier packing.

That's the ticket! You prefer casual and have chosen a casual line for that very reason. This is what everyone who prefers not having a dress code should do. Great choice.

As for the Tahitian islands being casual, if one is on a land vacation then that is the answer to anyclothing dilemnas. If one is cruising on a line with dress codes, then that is a different story.

I also hate to get dressed up on my vacation time! I have to dress a certain way for work and I go on vacation to get away from work and relax. On my last couple of cruises I didn't even bother to attend the formal nights and had a wonderful time anyway. We're meeting up with other family members to do my next cruise, so I will make an effort to get dressed up for one night. I've got a nice cocktail dress with a little bit of sparkle on it and sandals planned.

I wish people chose their cruises/vacations to fit what they actually want, like you do. If you don't want to dress up, there are options (cruiselines or other eating venues) instead of trying to get by with as little as possible. Again, just don't be surprised if you are redirected for dinner if you aren't dress appropriately. It is the call of the maitre d' & his hosts and hostesses.

I used to enjoy getting dressed up and enjoyed it on my last cruise. This one (Elation 3/8 for a quick 4 days) is a casual last minute vacation and I was concerned about the formal day as I have gained some weight and can't fit into any of my cocktail dresses. I bought one but luckily I searched my mother's closet and found a great navy floor length jersey dress with sparkling embroidery threaded throughout and matching jacket-and shoes,bag and earrings- so back goes the cocktail dress. also snatched her Black jersey dress with a jacket that is not as dressy and I can dress it down for another night, so I feel that I will be complying just fine with the dress code.

DH almost always wears his tux on formal night and I wear something glittery, but am probably slightly underdressed compared to him. I hate to pack a lot of stuff, so a ballgown just doesn't make the cut. We still look pretty good together. I think that the black pants/dressy top combo is perfect, and doesn't take up much space either. But leave the 5-inch heels at home!:eek:

As for tablemates, one of our best times ever was with a gentleman who was going to skip formal night because he didn't have the "expected" (as they put it on Monarch) attire. We talked him into coming in his Hawaiian shirt (which, BTW is considered formal in HI:rolleyes: ) because we wanted the further pleasure of his company at dinner, regardless of what he wore. The HW backed us up, although since Monarch is one of the less-dressy formal night's we've encountered, it was probably a complete non-issue. My point being that I would rather have the company of people who are fun to be with (mind you, unshaven or unbathed & dressed in dirty clothes isn't "fun" to me, I do have some minimal standards;) ) than be alone in my finery. But to each his own.

DH almost always wears his tux on formal night and I wear something glittery, but am probably slightly underdressed compared to him. I hate to pack a lot of stuff, so a ballgown just doesn't make the cut. We still look pretty good together. I think that the black pants/dressy top combo is perfect, and doesn't take up much space either. But leave the 5-inch heels at home!:eek:

As for tablemates, one of our best times ever was with a gentleman who was going to skip formal night because he didn't have the "expected" (as they put it on Monarch) attire. We talked him into coming in his Hawaiian shirt (which, BTW is considered formal in HI:rolleyes: ) because we wanted the further pleasure of his company at dinner, regardless of what he wore. The HW backed us up, although since Monarch is one of the less-dressy formal night's we've encountered, it was probably a complete non-issue. My point being that I would rather have the company of people who are fun to be with (mind you, unshaven or unbathed & dressed in dirty clothes isn't "fun" to me, I do have some minimal standards;) ) than be alone in my finery. But to each his own.

Critterchick, you are right on.:D ME 2!:p

Jean, you are so very right there. We once had table mates who were so fun that we could not have cared less what they were wearing. It was their first cruise and I don't think they had any idea how nice the dining rooms were. We wouldn't have traded them for anything :)

The biggest difference was that I didn't get the feeling they had the attitude that "it's my vaca and I'll dress how I want to", it was more like, "oops, we probably should have brought the nicer clothes". They were looking around amazed at how nice things were and how nice everyone looked.

I think the future holds a far more casual approach to the whole cruise ship dining/dressing at night issue than a lot of us have been used to in the past. Unfortunately, it also seems like the attitude of the staff and level of service onboard ships is also falling to a more casual level to match. It's too bad, I rather liked all the impeccable service.

Archived